Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How the heck did you guys quit?

I'm on day 3 of no smoking and I swear my coworkers are tip toeing around me and my sister seriously had to remind me that my car insurance doesn't cover nicotine withdrawal when I almost moved the car that was blocking the path with my car.

I'm trying to stay as quiet and by myself as possible because I feel my mood is so out of control. And HELLO hot flashes!!

I have the gum to help, but honestly that just feels like someone is pouring pepper on my tongue. Has anyone tried an e cigarette?

I'm dying!! But I want my surgery so bad!!

I quit using Chantix. It really helped. I don't think I could have quit without it. However, it has side-effects like mood swings, vivid dreams, depression, etc. Even with it, I was a total b*tch. I made 2 coworkers cry within a week. However, to get the surgery, I managed. I'm now over a year smokefree. You can do it. Just warn the coworkers you are quitting and might be a little sharper than normal.

Krista

I am not a smoker but want to encourage you to stay strong and draw strength from anything that you can. This surgery has changed my life and I am saying a prayer for you to do what you can to get to your surgery date successfully. Good luck to you!!

Hang in there! I know your pain - I am approaching 11 months completely smoke free after 28 years of 1-2 packs a day. I read a book called Smoke Free in 30 Days - got a prescription for Wellbutrin, and also used Nicotine Patches starting with the strongest ones they have and gradually stepping down. Nicotine gum and lozenges wreak havoc with my tummy and made me feel pretty sick.

The Wellbutrin worked really well for me as remarkably it made me seem to forget about smoking - which was pretty much unthinkable all the other times I had tried to quit. Quitnet is a great site too - lots of good support and info there. Other friends have had great success with Chantix - my doctor said that the greatest successes with quitting happen when you use medication along with Nicotine replacement in the initial stages of a quit - it helps ease the sheer torture.

Just keep hanging on - eventually, and you may not believe this, there will come a time that you no longer think of cigarettes or smoking...never did I think this was possible, but alas it is. Sending you positive thoughts!

The blu electronic cig is great. It hits your throat just like a real smoke and it's just Water vapor. I freak people out smoking in public places.:D

I used the chantix but like someone said before it has its side effects. Unfortunately, I went back to smoking. My sister used the e-cig, if you can, get one! I will help. Good Luck.

You might also look into aversion therapy, since smoking is a combination of chemical addiction and behavior/habituation. Aversion is what the Schick-Schadel centers provided 20 years ago or so and used a minor shock (like from a 9V battery) to replace the pleasant sensations you get from smoking with unpleasant ones. My wife went through it (a few sessions within a week) and has been smoke free for the past 20+ years. I don't know who does this these days as Schick Shadel seems to be into alcohol and drug addiction treatment these days, but it's something worth checking out if the chemical/drug based solutions don't work.

I quit smoking long before I considered WLS, but I used the Nicoderm CQ Patches and I must say, THEY WORK!! Go buy a box at Walmart and put one on. They totally take the edge off!!

You can do it. The first week is the WORST. Don't give in, it is all down hill after that first week!

Good luck to you!

Kelly ;)

I quit cold turkey almost two years ago but i was only a smoker for two years so I imagine it was easier for me. I tried the e-cig but it wasn't anything like smoking and I didn't get that satisfaction from it. It's a waste of money in my opinion. I can't give you advice on how to quit, but I will say do absolutely anything and everything you can to try. The way I felt without smoke in my lungs was night and day compared to how it was before. The other thing I'll say is that the first week or two is the hardest part and then it gets easier. For me, the actual nicotine craving faded long before the habit did. Sometimes I still miss stepping outside after a meal or taking a relaxing break with a cigarette. I had to find other things to do for a few minutes of "me" time. Good luck.

I smoked for over 25 years- last September while I was contemplating wls- I bought a few e-cigs and began to slowly switch over - after I went to the seminar for my group the doctor said he absolutely would not do surgery on anyone who smoked and they had to be quit for 3 months before the sleeve and 6 for bypass.

So I switched over totally to the ecig 2 months before my consult appointment. When I went in for my appointment

he asked me if I was using nicotine liquid or 0mg liquid. I said Nicotine liquid- he said.. it's the same as smoking as far as nicotine in the system which constricts the blood vessels and slows healing and he said I'd have to quit

for the 3 months prior or 6 months if I wanted the rny-

So- I switched to the non nicotine and kept vaping with that until I felt strong enough to put it down-

Because honestly just having the hand to mouth option even with out nicotine was helpful- better than nothing-

In the end- I had to decide which was more important- getting the surgery- or risking the testing showing continine

in my bloodwork..which my doctor said they tested for right before surgery and would cause my surgery to be canceled. I worked too hard to get to my surgery date to be denied on account of nicotine showing up in my system.