Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can blood pressure meds slow weight loss?

hello! i take metoporol (sp?) for Migraine prevention- i do not, and never have had high blood pressure. my exercise gal said that beta blockers keep your resting heartbeat lower and it's harder to bring your heart rate up with exercise. i'm frustrated- i'm exercising and doing all the right things but lost only 5 lbs. my second month! so do blood pressure meds slow weight loss? help!:(

post-11463-1381365748412_thumb.jpg

No they dont slow down weight loss( have worked for hospital for 16 years) and 99% of us have stalls and have only lost a few pounds in a month doing the right thing. Its just part of this process and our body trying to adjust to a lower calorie intake and still recovering from surgery......Keep taking your BP meds because if you dont that can lead to stroke .......it will all come off in due time if you just follow the right eating habits and exercise program , be patient and good luck on your WL journey :rolleyes:

hello! i take metoporol (sp?) for Migraine prevention- i do not, and never have had high blood pressure. my exercise gal said that beta blockers keep your resting heartbeat lower and it's harder to bring your heart rate up with exercise. i'm frustrated- i'm exercising and doing all the right things but lost only 5 lbs. my second month! so do blood pressure meds slow weight loss? help!:(

thanks so much! :rolleyes:

No they dont slow down weight loss( have worked for hospital for 16 years) and 99% of us have stalls and have only lost a few pounds in a month doing the right thing. Its just part of this process and our body trying to adjust to a lower calorie intake and still recovering from surgery......Keep taking your BP meds because if you dont that can lead to stroke .......it will all come off in due time if you just follow the right eating habits and exercise program , be patient and good luck on your WL journey :rolleyes:

I'm not a medical person and have never worked in a hospital.

I'd tell you to keep a very close eye on your blood pressure. I had to be taken off of my beta blocker 10 days after surgery. I hadn't lost that much weight (not in relation to my overall body weight) but my BP had dropped to dangerously low levels. And my primary told me the same thing. It's not so much that they cause you to not lose weight, but they can sap your energy level which keeps you less active which can lead to less weight loss.

Talk to your primary and keep monitoriing your BP. If you have never had high blood pressure, I'd think that would put you in a speical bucket where the drug could drive it down even faster than someone like me who once had sky high BP. Minimum, check it when you are in a drug store or grocery where they have a machine just to be on the safe side.