Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

where do you fit your protein in? how do you get calories?

I am completely freaked out. I basically have been threatened with a feeding tube if I don't turn it around in 3 weeks. I can't do the Protein Shakes at all, the smell makes me nauseous and when i drink them my heart starts racing and my blood pressure shoots up. I am supposed to be getting 60-80 grams of Protein and 800-1000 calories a day - I am getting 25 grams of protein and 200-300 calories a day. I have been told I can nibble all day on a Protein Bar or Peanut Butter if that helps and continue to drink. She wants me to still some how work in another 2-3 servings of unflavored protein plus get my calories up. I am just so stressed.

Sweetie, you can do it. Breathe. Take a moment and make a plan. If you've been okayed for Protein bars, you're going to do just fine. I couldn't tolerate the shakes, either (still can't). Suggestions from me:

1. Put 1/2 c. milk, a couple of tablespoons of dry milk powder, some sweetener of your choice, and flavoring of your choice (vanilla, cocoa powder for chocolate, sugar-free chocolate Syrup, sugar-free syrup of any kind), and zap it in your blender or Magic Bullet with some ice. Instant and delicious shake higher in Protein than regular milk. If you can tolerate eggs, get a pack of the egg-white egg substitute (in the dairy section) and put 1/4 c. of that in there--it's pasteurized, so no germs, and you won't taste it at all. Again, higher protein. You can put all of that in the blender and end up with about 1 c. of seriously protein packed yumminess, because you can flavor it to your liking, and no icky Protein Powder taste or smell (I SO understand what you mean about that--smells like feet!).

2. Get some unflavored Protein Powder and add to the above--careful, unflavored does not mean there's no flavor, so be prepared to experiment a bit until you find a combination of flavors that hides that protein powder taste/smell--orange extract and chocolate are great together, and they seem to cover it. You can also try the sugar-free raspberry syrup and chocolate or my favorite, coffee and chocolate, for a good combination that helps hide added ingredients.

3. Get some powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken protein powder and add it to some chicken broth. If you're allowed, add a can of chicken meat and some seasonings (I like cilantro for this, but I like Tex-Mex flavors) and zap it in the blender/Magic Bullet and heat it up before you stir in the protein powder.

4. Experiment with Protein Bars. Get a few of different brands (LOTS of advice about them on this board) and experiment. Even if you taste two or three a day, you're picking up quite a bit of protein in the tasting.

5. Get some cheese, cottage cheese, whatever you like the flavor of, and keep it with you. Cheese will dissolve almost completely if you smush it around in your mouth--if you're allowed dairy and/or Protein Bars, seems like cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese would also all work.

I think you can do it. If you absolutely don't want to use any kind of protein powder product, figure out ways to sneak "real food" into your shakes and soups--doubling up the milk powder or egg substitute or whatever. I really know where you're at--been there, too! At this point, most of my protein comes from dairy and nuts, as my sleeve is still really picky and hates eggs, beef, and most methods of cooking chicken. So I'm an unintentional "sleeve vegetarian," almost--sleevie does like shrimp, I have to say, and the occasional bite of hamburger meat in Wendy's chili (wink--another great source of protein, BTW!).

Just get it going for now with the liquids/cheeses and see how you do. Your diet will advance soon, and the choices expand. I also ate Peanut Butter from the spoon when I was first sleeved--plus yogurt!! Best wishes--keep us posted!

If it is the smell of the Protein that is getting to you - try these.

Try mixing Protein powder into the 60 calorie puddings, or into cottage cheese with applesauce, or into Jello, or into homemade popsicles. If the smell is bothering you, rub something that has a smell you like under your nose - vanilla flavoring, lemon flavoring, etc. Or, if you like the smell / taste of coffee get some very strong, aromatic coffee Beans and put them in a little jar with a tight smelling lid. Loosen the lid, stick your nose into the jar of coffee - inhale deeply, take a bite of the protein mixed into something you like the taste of.

If that's not working - get some vicks vapor-rub. Put some Vicks Vapor-Rub under your nose and inside your nostrils, or put it on cotton and place it in your nostrils. Eat the least upsetting protein you can get in your system while you are only smelling the Vicks. Police officers use Vicks to go into houses with dead/decaying bodies. If it can block that smell, it should be able to block the smell of the protein.

If you are amenable to being hypnotized, a hypnotist could make not notice the smell and not react to it. It should be simple to do and be done in a single session - if you are able to be hypnotized.

These may seem strange to you - but I would do da*n near anything to not have a feeding tube put in.

Good Luck.

I know how you feel. Those Protein Drinks GAG me. I could not do them either!! The smell of that Protein is too much.

There is one that is not bad tho Pure Protein makes a powder and it truely is odor free. Vanilla and it is like $17 at Target and Walmart. You can mix it with fruit and make a smoothie and it is good. OR go to Vitamin Shoppe and they have the RTD cans and the strawberry Cream is to die for. AGAIN, no protein smell or taste...I PROMISE!!! 25g in one can and 1 scoop of the powder!

Also GNC has Amplified whey Protein the chocolate is THA BOMB!!! It is pretty pricey, but they do have sample packs for like $2.99. Get one and mix it in Silk LIte Chocolte, IT IS LIKE A CHOCOLTE SHAKE!! So delish and again, not a single protein aroma or taste. I PROMISE!! This one has 60g of protein in it!

Both can be mixed with Water if you can't do milk, but the milk would add more calories for you!

You can do that a couple times a day and be set. Forget the eating. YOu could drink your protein til you get better.

Hope this helps!

Kelly ;)

Pure Protein Bars in chocolate Peanut Butter 20g Protein top with a little Peanut Butter for added protein and calories

Fage or other greek yogurt 20ish g protein add in sf pudding like cheesecake or white choc

Cottage Cheese--high source of protein, I add applesauce or tiny bit of apple butter to flavor.

Atkins shakes

The Atkins shakes aren't as high in protein as some others, but they aren't as strong smelling or tasting as some either. I like the vanilla flavor the best. I hope it gets easier for you soon!

:)

I do the nectar unflavored Protein - 2 scoops with 6 oz of Decaf coffee and 3-4 oz of 1% milk. I mix it and put it in a insulated coffee mug with a screw-on lid. It honestly does not taste bad at all and I HATE all the Protein Shakes too!

At four weeks I was was on solid food. If you cannot tolerate Protein drink work on the Protein in real food. Try 4 meals a day with at least 15 grams at each meal. For example for Breakfast, I used 1/4 c egg beaters, 1 tbsp bacon bits, 1/4 cup cheese scrambled. This was 17 grams of protein. for lunch I use the sliced deli meats with a cheese stick-again around 16 grams of protein. for supper-3 oz of chicken with 1/4 c of gravy-18 grams of protein. I used schredded cheese a lot to add more protein. A slider made of lean ground hambuger with melted cheese 19 grams of protein, I focused just on the protein the first few months, It took me at least 3 months to even get to 800 calories a day. Try carnation instant sugar free Breakfast drink with adding dry milk for extra protein. Hang in there. There are others ways to increase protein without using Protein drinks.

I drink the sugar free Carnation instant Breakfast for breakfast. I buy the individual packets and mix it in skim milk. I know its kind of high in carbs (24) but I can get in Protein and it tastes really good. I find in the morning I need carbs because I am so busy physically at my job. I do very low carb the rest of the day.

I hope you can find something that works. I had quite a few complications early out and I know it can put you in a bad place mentally. Just remember even though it seems like it won't it will get better. I found once I was able to eat soft cheese and have milk I did soooo much better. Thank goodness I'm not lactose intolerant.

Please keep us posted. Hugs!!

I forget to mention my doctor kept telling me that week 6 will be a turnaround week for me....and he was right. I was in the hospital once a week for various issues. After week 6 I was like a new woman!

AVOCADO! It is high in calories and healthy fats. Poach chicken breasts and shred them, smother them with avocado and it helps the chicken go down easy. At 5 weeks out I could also add a little cheddar cheese and taco sauce. It was delicious to me cuz I was tired of all the artificial sweet stuff...shakes, Jello, yogurt, pudding...blaaaa!

(poached salmon will really up the protein)

Get some Pro pudding by Body tech. It's delicious and has 25 grams for Protein, 4 carbs and 140 calories. You can get it at Vitamin shoppe or order it from Amazon.com

You can blend in cottage cheese in Tomato Soup or another Soup of your choice.

Go to the recipe section and look for the recipe for Ricotta Bake. It's really good.

you can make meat balls and smash them up . you can put a little sauce on them if you need them soupy.

There are a lot of things you can do to get in your Protein. sip on crystal lite or sf Hawaiian punch, etc.

:D if you're a little further out and can't tolerate protien drinks like me-- I eat a lot of Turkey Pepperoni, Imitation Crab, and Beef Jerkey. Yummy

Someone recommended the coffee mix and I have to say it is the only thing that I can tolerate. I loved Starbucks preWLS. I am able to do the nectar cappuchino flavor with Lactaide milk and SF Syrup or I can do Decaf coffee with the Atkins vanilla shakes and whatever flavor I want. The Atkins straight out of the box are kinda gross to me, but mixed with coffee they are pretty good.

I hope you find something that sits well!

I never had much problem with Protein, (they were telling me to add veg to my diet by day 10) though it does seem like you are having some overall eating problems. I understand the problem with tolerating the taste of Protein shakes, though there are many different kinds out there, and some taste better than others (and taste is such an individual thing.) - I find the EAS Protein powders work for me as they have a relatively mild flavor that can be built on with additions (see below.) My wife had similar problems after her DS as she couldn't drink a lot either, so the protein powders had to be so concentrated that they were gagging. There are several possible things that you can do:

Mix the powders with other things with stronger flavors - the Instant Breakfast suggested is a good start, but I boost the protein by mixing an envelope of Instant Breakfast with a scoop of Protein powder and 2 cups of milk for two servings - that significantly cuts the Protein shake taste; adding a little unsweetened cocoa to the mix deepens the chocolate taste with an insignificant calorie/carb addition. SF Hersheys Syrup can be used for the same thing.

Greek yogurt is a great protein source - 10-12g per half cup of plain, and can be sweetened to taste with your favorite sweetener, or even a bit of jam or SF syrup for flavor. I typically have it with some raspberries, granola, chopped almonds and wheat or oat bran to add flavor, texture, nutrition and Fiber.

The SF instant puddings work well - I found that the classic hi-pro recipe of adding 2 scoops of protein powder to the 2 cups of milk and pudding mix still left a bit too strong protein powder flavor to it, so I substituted a cup of greek yogurt for 1 cup of milk and 1 scoop of the powder - that dropped the protein powder taste into the background, though added a bit of the yogurt tartness that some may not like.

Peanut Butter is often suggested, and usually goes down well, though as with most plant based Proteins, it is an incomplete protein and should really be eaten with a complement like whole grain bread or crackers to complete the protein (which may not help you at this stage.)

unjury makes a chicken Soup flavored protein powder that you may tolerate, especially if you mix it with real chicken soup or maybe mashed potatoes.

Good luck with it all - believe it or not, it does get better!