Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting ready for surgery....

Hello! I am the mother of 5 and I have battled weight since high school graduation. I have at 250 pounds now and 5'3. This is the heaviest I have ever been and I am tired. I am tired of missing family reunions, tired of hiding from cameras,. tired of discrimination in lookign for a new teachign job! I want my life back and I want to live long and healthy. With that said, I am scared! I backed out of gastric bypass 30 minutes before surgery a year ago. I wanted the Sleeve then, but it was not offered. I am now with a new docotr I adore and am ready to embark on a new life. Somehow my greatest lingering fear is am going to 1. miss the social aspect of eating with my family and friends, and 2. I wil be shortening my life with the surgery. I know this is silly,l but they are little lingering fears. As an educated woman i need this, I haev a slow metabolism, I am older, and it is so hard to lose weight. I want to put this chapter in my life in reverse and regain myself.

I am curious, how soon after surgery do you feel a sense of normal again. Will I be shakey and weak as I lose weight? How is the pain after surgery/

Guys I am going through with this this time. I have no choice I am flying to Dallas :o) I really want this - is it normal to be afraid? Any help at all will be a comfort. God bless each and every one of you! Your blogs are so helpful! Diane

Hello, Diane. Congrats on your journey! I was sleeved on the 30th of august. The days before I started questioning my decision and was wondering if it was right. If I could do this, why can't I do it on my own? But, like you said, I've dealt with it my entire life and without this would have continued to be a problem...and probably worsened. It I'd absolutely normal to feel afraid. You wouldn't be human if you didn't. Just know that almost all of us go through that. You will be fine and do great! Good luck and feel free to ask me anything since I am only 2 weeks out. Jill

I was afraid, but now I just wish it was available years ago. We still go out to eat, I just eat some of my husbands or I take a doggy bag home. I don't snore anymore, hubby has lost weight, I have lost weight, I'm thrilled with my decision.

Good luck to you!

Thank you both....I need this and I know I want the outcome. It is the process that is terrifying me!

Hello, Diane. Congrats on your journey! I was sleeved on the 30th of august. The days before I started questioning my decision and was wondering if it was right. If I could do this, why can't I do it on my own? But, like you said, I've dealt with it my entire life and without this would have continued to be a problem...and probably worsened. It I'd absolutely normal to feel afraid. You wouldn't be human if you didn't. Just know that almost all of us go through that. You will be fine and do great! Good luck and feel free to ask me anything since I am only 2 weeks out. Jill

Hi, I'm 4 weeks post op. I have been on soft foods now for a couple days. I'm eating fish, cheese, etc. I was weak, not shaky, up until this point. I am now feeling more energy! So, it does come back! I'm also 30lbs lighter than I was on surgery day. :)

Diane, chin up and be encouraged! The questions that you have are normal and pretty much what a lot of us have asked ourselves. No more missing events and you deserve to go for and have any teaching position you want.

Here's to a new and healthier you!

Blessings,

Niki

I'm also worried about these things, but then I remembered how after a surgery I got awhile ago, I just didn't feel like eating much. I really didn't miss the food in quantity. I didn't miss stuffing myself. I want to feel that way again. I want to be satisfied with a half an enchilada and a dollop of Beans rather than an enchilada, a taco, a chile rellenjo, rice, Beans and chips with guacamole.

From what I understand from reading these boards is that you can still can enjoy many foods (although some people's tolerance for things change a little). You just should not eat the slider foods like ice cream or things with empty calories because you need the space for Protein and other nutritious stuff.

and think of the money you will save eating out when you can have a little off a family member's plate (I already discussed this with them and they are fine with it). What I will miss is the drinking with meals, but hey, small price to pay.

Eat slower and savor rather than wolfing down food. I learned to wolf down food in the Army when in basic we were not allowed much time for meals. I had to hurry to get the calories or I would lose too much weight on my 98 pound body. Wow. I was that skinny as an adult???

You can do this. The only tips I would recommend is really, really, really, learn to sip sip sip and chew chew chew. It is killing me right now as I transition to soft foods.

I feel like I have a group of friends. I am going to do this. I know it is what I need. I am curious about hunger. During the liquid phase....is the hunger a difficult battle? What about nausea....that is one of my greatest fears being nauseated. I also have a question about longevity. Are there any studies about how this affects longevity. Sure being heavy is unhealthy, but what about the durability of the procedure say 30 years down the road. My only other question as I sit in the middle of nowhere NM literally with no one in this region who has ever undergon this procedure how is returning to work. I am a teacher and I fear feeling weak and light headed. Is that a problem and can it be remidied. When I diet now and severly restrict my calories I get gnawing pain and hunger that drives me to blow the diet. After the procedure is this a problem? Thank you everyone for your kind support. I know in a couple weeks I will look back and laugh at myself for being so silly. Bless each of you with wonderful health and vitality - God Bless you! DIane

hi diane! i am 3 months out, and my surgery has helped me kick my prediabetes sleep apnea and balanced out my hormones. it is scary to take on this challenge, but only during the surgery. it is sooo worth it and this site offers amazing support! reach out to us for questions it will definately ease your mind! my tip would be to find a good tasteless Protein Powder so you can mix it in with your liquids post op. i use bipro and its great even now mixed in with yogurt. i was tied the first week post op but now i am back in the gym and i feel so much better than i used to. it really is a fresh start to a new life!!! :D and also some of that hormone that creates the hunger sensation is removed during the surgery i hve felt no hunger just some acid which is remedied quickly by a tums now and again. good luck to you!!!

Diane, I understand exactly how you feel. I have not had my surgery yet, but have started the process and should have it the first part of December here in South Carolina. I have been on here every day reading what ppl post. All of the pros and cons. All I know is I can't get this weight off and keep it off on my own. I have tried and failed so so many times. Is your surgery scheduled? I hope the best for both of us!!

Good luck,

Marka

My first week post op I was NEVER hungry. I am almost 3 weeks out and really dont feel hungry. The pangs that do come are mild in comparison to preop. It will be better than you think! Again, good luck! Jill

Hello Diane-

I'm like you and everybody else on this forum. Same questions. Same fears. I'm still pre-op. My file was sent to my insurance last week. If I am approved I hope to be able to choose a date about mid-December. If your have been given a dietary quideline to follow after surgery try practicing some of it before surgery. At lunch I don't drink. Took some getting used to but I found out that I get full quicker and on less food. I've really been watching my portion sizes. Need to work on sip, sip, sip and chew, chew, chew. Some have said to use a baby spoon while eating. I think I'll try that today. I've already lost the weight my Dr. required for me to lose before surgery so hopefully I wont have to do the all liquid pre-op diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery.

If you crave certain foods and drinks like bread, Pasta and sodas try cutting back on one or more of them now before surgery. Two years ago after I was diagnosed with HBP I cut out beverages that had caffeine- including sodas and coffee. I was drinking so much coffee and soda that I could feel my heart racing. After the withdrawal headaches were over I don't even like the taste of soda. And now I drink de-caff coffee but not that often. Now I'm working on breads, Pasta, and rice. Love those foods! It really hasn't been that bad for me except when it comes to pizza. Love, love, love pizzabiggrin.gif

I had my surgery 4 months ago. Getting down to a healthy weight will likely lengthen your lifespan tremendously. My mom said something amazing to me and I don't think I'll ever forget it. She said, "If you had cancer and surgery was the only way to fix it you would do it in a heartbeat and not even think twice. Having this surgery is going to save your life and allow you to live the way you want to".

I know being nauseated and lightheaded is no fun. You may experience those things after surgery but they typically aren't due to lack of calories, they are due to Vitamin and electrolyte deficiencies. I was feeling pretty ill starting my third week after surgery. Fortunately, it was very easily corrected and I haven't had any problems since. Just keep talking to your surgeon and call the office if you have any questions.

I am sooo incredibly happy that I had this surgery. Being 114 pounds down has given me so much more energy and I can do things that I haven't been able to do in over four years. It's amazing and I wish you all the best!