Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decision anxiety

Hello all,

I needed an outlet for this, so that was the main reason of the post. BUT maybe someone can offer some advice, too, that would be great.

Lately I've really been struggling with the type of WLS procedure I should get. Or if I should get one at all, although that's a minor part of the struggle. I'm 99% sure I want WLS, but I'm really struggling with which one to get.

What's worse is that I'm kind of freaking out over what's going to happen after I decide on something and get the surgery. I'm worried that I'll always be wondering if I made the right decision. It's crazy, I'm freaking out over something that hasn't even happened yet.

Ugh...the worst part is that I recognize this mental trap that I'm stuck in, but I'm having a hard time getting myself out of it.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Feel free to message me if you have something you don't want to post on the forum.

Thank you. You guys are wonderful. May you all be happy and healthy. :)

I have been feeling exactly the same way. I'm going with the sleeve, and I backed out last year, because of this same thing... As of right now (i'm self pay) I've been approved, have my financing, and am all set to go. I just have to let my co-ordinator know the dates I'm available. But like you, I'm worried about all the unknowns. I read about everyone that has had the sleeve and how wonderful it is, and how great it is to be thin, but at the same time, I read that everyone has to live off of Protein Shakes, and basically "diet" for the rest of their lives. Is this how it is going to be after the surgery? I don't want to completely give up food forever.... I know it sounds silly, but to be honest, I think about Christmas times, and Thanksgivings with the turkey, etc and family. I don't want to spend it drinking a shake while the rest of the family enjoys a hot meal. It is frivolous, i know that. But that's what I think about, and all the things I will miss out on after the sleeve.

My cousin had this surgery almost a year ago. She can eat ANYTHING. Just in smaller, much smaller portions. You will NOT be living off a shake for the rest of your life. I'm having the surgery 9/29. I had the same concerns you are having.

I think it is valid to be worried. This is a lifetime- life-changing- decision. Let me just say that once I got past the post-op liquid phase, I have not had a Protein Shake. I did nothing but Protein shake for 3 weeks prior to surgery & now the smell of them makes me dry-heave. I eat 6 small meals a day. For me it is better if I am eating protein instead of drinking it. I feel full. Drinking protein doesn't give me that same sensation. I really don't have any foods that I can't eat. However, certain things don't sit as well. Breads tend to leave me feeling nauseous, which is a good thing since I'm trying to stay with the lower carbs. fruit juices are like pure Syrup to me & most sugary things will make my stomach feel uncomfortable. I eat healthy (high protein & low carb) about 90% of the time. I splurge (ie. on holidays or out with friends) about 10% of the time. If I was committed to 100% of the time eating right, I would have probably lost more, but I would rather have the slower loss & still be able to live more like a regular person. I am just past 6 month post op. The first 5 months the weight fell off. I'm now having to work out more & eat healthier to get the scale to move. I originally went in planning to have the lap-band. However, I spoke to a friend who I knew had it a year or so go & she highly discouraged me from the bad due to the complications & lack of weighloss she had. I would recommend you join forums for all the surgeries & read, read, read. In the end you need to feel comfortable with your decision because if you do select the sleeve, it is for life. There is no getting that part of your stomach back. Good luck!

I struggled with whether to do RNY or the sleeve...on one hand rerouting my intestines scared the living daylights out of me, but so did failing again after surgery.....eventually I decided that the sleeve was the best choice for me and that I'd have to be responsible for my success or failure with ANY wls. I won't lie and say I haven't wondered if RNY would have been better at times when my weight loss has sleemed slow....but then I enjoy a couple bites of wedding cake or bread at a restaurant and KNOW I made the right choice for me! I look back at 6 months post-op at the 69lbs I've lost and know that I did all the work to lose it....it didn't happen because of malabsorption...it happened because I've made good choices over and over and over!! GL on your journey!!

Thanks for the reassurances guys! Such a silly thing to worry about (turkey dinners, etc :) ) But I'm glad to hear that I won't have to drink Protein Shakes forever! Good Luck Lob1999 on your decision! Just know that you're not the only one with these feelings of "OMG what am I doing?" and being in the mental trap....

I am 1 year out from the vertical or gastric sleeve. I chose this for several reasons. I had gained weight due to another health issue, where I had to take medications that caused a long term(10 years) weight gain of 75 lbs. I am still on some of these meds so weight loss continues to be an issue with me.

Although I do not regret the decision to have wt. loss surgery, I do think I made a mistake in the type I chose. It is permanent-which seemed a good thing at the time, It is advertised as lowering your hunger-it does not, I am extremely hungry often, but am only able to eat very small portions, while drinking next to nothing during meals. I no longer can enjoy meals or activities surrounding get-togethers involving food. I become extremely uncomfortable quickly-often having to lie down somewhere until I recover. I have adjusted by eating very little in groups & not at all at work. Yes, I have lost weight but only 40 lbs so far.

I experience GI difficulties all the time. Nausea, and worst is the gas-all the time-noisy like nothing I have had or experienced other than through teen-age movie antics. I am always uncomfortable worrying I will embarrass myself in this way. I would strongly suggest to anyone thinking of this to do the lap-band instead! I know people who have had this successfully & wish that I had one. It can be removed. I am stuck with this altered stomach-an organ that cannot be replaced & I did this to myself. I have no problem with wt. loss surgery itself. My recovery was uneventful. But, if I could go back & have the choice over I certainly would! I am depressed in a way that I wasn't prior to the surgery. Does anyone have a similiar experience or know of solutions to make me more comfortable?

lob1999, I suggest that you do your research by reading the forums both here and at the Lap Band message boards (there are several). There are also TONS of bloggers who've had the lap band and post about their experiences. I have about 100 of them bookmarked and checked them daily while I was researching. MY conclusion was that the lap banders had a really high incidence of slippage, erosion and general failure to lose the weight they wanted to lose, whereas those who had VSG seemed to lose a significantly higher percentage of their weight. I had one shot (self-pay) and wanted to make sure I got what I wanted out of the surgery, especially since I was doing it more for health than vanity, like most people.

IMO, there are a lot of people who have had band to sleeve revisions because of complications. I just didn't want to do two surgeries and I really didn't want to have to be constantly going to the doctor for a "fill" or an "unfill". I was sleeved on Aug 30 and I'm (so far) content with my decision. Disclaimer: I had several co-morbidities and a death sentence hanging over my head: "Lose weight or you'll be dead in a year."

Seeking Health, I STRONGLY suggest you talk to your surgeon and/or your PCP. Your experience sounds atypical of anyone I have met or seen who has had VSG. I cannot imagine the hell you go through with your GI difficulties. It sounds like something is really wrong and you most assuredly need some kind of intervention. I can't imagine living with the side effects you are experiencing. Please post again once you've seen your doctor and let us know that they were able to help you. You're in my prayers.

The only person I've heard of who has problems is the sister in law of a friend, but hers are self-inflicted because she is not compliant with either drinking Water or ensuring that she gets enough Protein daily. That lady is in the hospital regularly with malnutrition and dehydration issues. She's a great motivator for me to keep plugging away at the liquids and Protein on a daily basis. Every time I see her, I note her pallor and she looks bad, almost emaciated.

Lissa,

Thank you for the response (and all the others). I'm not considering the lap-band. I'm trying to decide between the VSG and the Duodenal Switch.

And while I want to give seekinghealth the benefit of the doubt, something about that post just read as being very spammy. Maybe I'm paranoid though.

lob1999,

I know NOTHING about the duodenal switch (unless it's another name for RNY). I imagine there are probably message boards for those folks as well... and I would look for blogs by real people.

I agree with you about the other post, but feel that I must believe until proven wrong. I cannot imagine someone having that negative an experience and not already beating on their surgeon's door. But, everyone does things differently.

Good luck. Please let us know what you decide, whatever it may be. :)