Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you sleeve again?

I had no health problems prior to surgery just overweight. None at all. The dr said he thought a small blood vessel didn't cauterize completely and opened up. I had surgery on Friday, went home saturday about noon and about 2 hours later my legs couldn't support me so we went back to the ER where I was admitted and promptly passed out cuz my pressure dropped so low. He didn't want to go back to surgery unless he had to and fortunately my bp started coming up, hr coming down and bloodwork stabilized. So he knew rhe bleeding had stopped. I was really anemic and had to take Iron for several weeks but now I feel great. Even with this problem I would still do it over in a heartbeat. Even if I didn't lose another lb it would be worth it knowing I will not regain what I've lost.

I'm so glad that your feeling great now, I'm sure that must have been scary. I keep reading over and over about people who have had complications but would still do it again. I can understand why. Your starting weight is around my current, and I can only imagine losing that much weight.

About 3 mths ago while back-to-school shopping with my beautiful teenage daughter, she was trying on a junior size 5 jean. They looked a little tight but she was shocked at the thought of going to the junior size 7. I joked I would give my left hand to be in a Misses size 7...then thought in my head I think I might almost really give my left hand for a guarantee of staying thin. That's when the sleeve really became a serious option. Giving most of my stomach seems a lot better then my left hand.:rolleyes:

LOL. Yeah it's much better. And truthfully after my brain has had time to catch up with my tiny tummy I don't even miss it.

If I gained all my weight back in 6 months. Just poof it was back, this last year, the 12k loan would be all worth it. I wish I had this done when I was 16. This is the SINGLE BEST THING I HAVE DONE (aside from my beautiful kids)!

Ellie,

Yes, Yes, Yes and omg yes! i would absolutley do it again, wished i'd done this 3 years ago. I was not as large as some, and my reasons were purley selfish...I did not wanna be "fat" anymore. I was pushing 200 lbs on a 5'3 body and I was so miserable and unhappy that i let myself get this far outta controll....I've dieted so many times, lost, gained, lost, gained, and I wanted a permanent sulution. Yes, it was drastic.....and i had to pay for it myself, but I wanted it soooo bad. I feel since I paid for it, by golly I was not gonna screw up and eat bad foods again. I'll never get this chance again in my life to lose weight this fast in 6 months. I'm 4 1/2 months out now, lost 50 lbs and i only have 20 to go. I feel so great, even sexy again and i havent felt that way in years....I have not had ANY...and i mean ANY complications or problems...It's been a piece of cake for me.

best of luck in your journey,

Donna

Absolutely. I wasn't going to lose the weight in any other sustainable manner. I got part way there with the typically advised lifestyle adjustments (have been a semi-gym rat for about eight years now, combined with maintaining a sane balanced diet) but couldn't get over the volume requirements my body was making, despite eating primarily high nutritional density foods. The only change I would possibly make is to take the VSG as part of a DS if I find that I can't maintain the weight loss, but that is something that I won't know for several years.

Many of the most common "issues" people have with the sleeve, such as Constipation, diarhea, and gas, are as much a function of the dietary changes imposed upon us as they are a result of the sleeve itself - our bodies get used to what we were eating (all those little buggers in our gut that promote digestion,) and major changes to our habits often result in such symptoms until our bodies adjust. Other issues are common to all WLS, and different individuals have varying responses to the trauma that their stomachs have experienced - whether that trauma is the result of being sleeved, pouched or banded. Surgical complications such as leaks can occur with any of the common procedures; less so with the bands, but they have a much higher rate of other problems down the road due to slippage, erosion, etc. The only real issue that seems to be more common in the sleeve than in other procedures is reflux; the other procedures all have a longer list of issues, many of them more severe than what is typically seen with the sleeve.

Yes, I would do it again.

I am in agreement with Greg. This has by far been the easiest thing that I have ever done in my life. I had my sleeve 13 months ago and have lost about 80 lbs and it has been wonderful. I have still yet to have the first pain since surgery. I did have some nausea on the first night after surgery that lasted only 3-4 hours and that is the only problem that I have had with any of the process. Had I not know that I had the surgery, I would have never known it. I could have actually returned to work on the day after I returned from Mexico, but I had already taken off for the week without knowing what to expect.

The only regret that I have is that I didn't do it 10 years ago!!!!!

Greg- you had No problems at all? do you mean no major problems or none?

Almost everyone I know has buyers remorse the first couple weeks! I'm 2 1/2 months out 65 lbs down never been happier!! :) no problems at all I can eat everything just in moderation: I've had steak lobster crab legs as soon as I started solids which was like at 3 1/2 to 4 weeks out! I even had a lil cake at a baby shower! I'm not a crazy carb counter or even calorie counter. I eat to nourish my body, but my taste has changed dramatically I used to love sweets & wanted a candy bar every day now they just aren't as appealing. I used to love fried food now I can't stand the smell of foods cooked in grease! It's honestly the best decision of my life!! I do sometimes think when I'm out I wish I could eat more but that feeling quickly passes, because now I can walk up the stairs to my apt without being out of breath & without breaking a sweat! I don't know really anyone that has major problems after being sleeved... What problems are you referring to?

I had no other comorbidities other than slightly high bp. I do have asthma but that's been all my life. I would do it again even though the first few weeks were rough. I feel free from the control of food now. I can control it. I never felt that before except when I took diet pills. And we all know how good diet pills are for you!

I would do it again yes, but I'm glad I don't have to. Like I said the first few weeks are difficult. I knew that going in because I had been on these boards for a long time researching it. That helped a lot to get through it because I knew that everyone said it gets better. I knew the risks, I weighed them and decided that the benefits were worth it. So far they are!

Yes, yes, yes! I just wish I had done this before my diabetes got so out of control. I developed peripheral neuropathy and had so much pain in my feet that I became fearful that I would not be able to work or have a decent quality of life. I am 2 months post op and feeling much better. I have lost 38 pounds and just hit ONEderland. I am off of many of my meds now and my diabetes is getting better each day. I have significantly less pain when I walk.

I can say that up until this week, I have struggled with nausea and pain. The healing process is just plain hard. I went back to work on week 3 and just struggled through each day. I am a first grade teacher who loves my job. I told a friend today that I feel I have turned the corner this week and feel good, no problems eating or with nausea. Some of us just take longer to heal. I am so glad I did it! My weight loss may not be as great as some, but I continue to have at least a 2 pound loss per week (no stalls yet). This has given me hope and my life back.

I do not regret it, but I wish I didn't have to do it. The reality was: I couldn't do it by myself. I couldn't.

The first 2 months SUCKED! I had horrible exhaustion and could barely get through the day for about 8 weeks. I have never been able to get all the liquid in. I had a tough time with food. I have never vomitted, but eating became a serious chore. There are a lot of emotional times when you get so upset because you can't eat what you want or you get bored with what is on your "allowed" list.

Eating still does not feel the same as it did before. I always have to think in the back of my mind about how much I am putting in my mouth because I will be in serious pain if I am not careful. But, I used to shovel it in without thinking at all - that is what the surgery has done for me. It's not easy because it truly changes your life and change is hard. It is easy because it actually works and you will be amazed at how the weight drops off of you.

The future? None of us really know. The numbers on non- weight loss gastrectomies are promising. I had a lap band before and that thing was pure poison - I am just happy to have it out.