Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

worried about not being able to take certain meds long term

hi guys im 240 lbs at 5'2 have most of the comorbidities of being obese and im 16 days away from surgery and having many doubts i recently went to preop appointment and was told i would not be able to take any pills that contain iburofen or advils or motrin or aspirin for the rest of my life and it was emphasized and that scares me because i have chronic asthma and vertigo and i also get migranes that are really bad and tylenol does not work at all for me so what happens if you need this one pill that s going to save your life? i also have to take steroids and my doctor saids oh dont worry you will have a normal stomach just smaller but im afraid he is only in for the money he is getting from my insurance for this expensive surgery, i mean i know if i dont loose the weight i will be really sick and quality of life will be worst but at what price will i get healthy ? i know all surgeries have many risks and im willing to take those risks but its long term complications or problems that worry me so either way your not home free. well for those who have had the surgery any advice or feedback is highly appreciated

I was told recently that after 1 year my doctor will consider short stints of ibuprofen. I think each situation is unique and has to be individually considered. I will say I have Migraines as well and there are prescription drugs that have no ibuprofen in them - talk to your primary doctor about getting something to keep on hand for them.

I take ibuprofen as well and my Dr. did not say anything about not being able to take it with the sleeve.

im afraid he is only in for the money he is getting from my insurance for this expensive surgery

I can't help you in regards to the medicine since I haven't had surgery yet, however you should seriously consider getting a different surgeon. Some posters here have changed at the last minute. An experienced and reputable surgeon is a must in my opinion.

One reason I chose the sleeve was because you can still take normal meds.. like time release etc.. because the stomach still functions the same (after you heal of course)

Yeah, I thought that was only applicable for bypass. My surgeon never mentioned it... I hope that's not the case because I take ibuprofen on almost a daily basis blink.gif

Btw, we have the same surgery date! biggrin.gif

Hey,

great questions and you are right to be concerned. Firstly, I take Ibruprofen, my surgeon said I must take it with food, as usual... I have had NO problems. I take other pain relief meds too - not on a daily basis - and again, I've had no probs. Oh and I have been doing so since around the 2mth post op mark. In the early days tablets are difficult to swallow and I couldn't take them for the first two weeks... I had to use tabs that dissolved and drank them instead.

I would defo double check this info..

Good luck!

Oh, I forgot to mention that our starting stats are very similar..... I too am 5'2 and I started at 238lb...

There are zero medication restrictions with VSG after the initial healing period.

The one thing with NSAIDS is that you need to take them with food. It's a rule for NSAIDS and steroid use when we have huge stomachs, same rule applies.

I've taken NSAIDS (every one of them) since being 6 weeks out with zero issue.

Also, I have been diagnosed with a rare, genetic clotting disorder, and MUST take aspirin every day for the rest of my life. Aspirin is an NSAID, and with RNY or the Band this treatment would not be possible because of the risk of marginal ulcers with stomas and pouches of RNY and band patients. We do not have a pouch, or stoma, so zero medication restrictions.

If you'd like the documented information let me know, I'll send it to you.

And, I'm 27 months post-VSG.