Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please do not remain silent about your "Sleeve"

I have given this thread a lot of thought. I have to say I now understand the "my body, my choice" argument a lot better than I did before.

My option is to remain private. I've very grateful I made that choice. I am losing very slowly. I lost as much in the 6 months before my surgery dieting as I have after being sleeved so no one has noticed anything remarkable. I've also lost large quantities of weight before to where this isn't any different to them.

I do not want to be responsbile for anyone else's decision. A friend came to me about 8 years ago and tried to talk me into gastric bypass. She'd had it 3 years earlier and lost 150 pounds.She may not have meant it that way, but I felt pressured. Remember what it's like being fat and having someone come and try to fix you? That choice didn't seem right to me and I didn't appreciate her "come to Jesus" moment of sharing with me. Now, I'm sleeved and she's easily gained 1/2 of what she lost back. She no longer offers solutions to people. And I know there's at least a possibiliy that in 5 years I'll be dealing with rebound weight gain. I see it every month in my support group.

Everyone should have a responsbile primary care doctor who should be talking to them about surgical options. If they are not, they need a new primary care. And if you are thinking about going into major surgery like this without having been medically cleared, that's also a bad decision. Everyone I know, and I'm not exaggerating this, has access to the internet and there are multiple WLS seminars advertised and offered in our area by 4 different medical facilities each month. I just don't think I need to be putting myself into anyone else's life as an advocate for gastric sleeve. I don't want that responsibiliy and I don't think it's my job.

As this thread starts out by saying, this is just my opinion.

I agree. It is a personal decision. Just like those who battle any other disease, it is a personal choice to share and one should not be made to feel guilty because they don't "shout it from the mountain top." I have not lied about my surgery, but I certainly don't wear a T-shirt with "I Got The Sleeve." on it. We all come to the point of making a change through different mechanism. Mine happen to be my through research. Not my doctor, not a friend, not a fellow WLS patient. Through my own "fed-up-ness" and research. IMHO.

I have given this thread a lot of thought. I have to say I now understand the "my body, my choice" argument a lot better than I did before.

My option is to remain private. I've very grateful I made that choice. I am losing very slowly. I lost as much in the 6 months before my surgery dieting as I have after being sleeved so no one has noticed anything remarkable. I've also lost large quantities of weight before to where this isn't any different to them.

I do not want to be responsbile for anyone else's decision. A friend came to me about 8 years ago and tried to talk me into gastric bypass. She'd had it 3 years earlier and lost 150 pounds.She may not have meant it that way, but I felt pressured. Remember what it's like being fat and having someone come and try to fix you? That choice didn't seem right to me and I didn't appreciate her "come to Jesus" moment of sharing with me. Now, I'm sleeved and she's easily gained 1/2 of what she lost back. She no longer offers solutions to people. And I know there's at least a possibiliy that in 5 years I'll be dealing with rebound weight gain. I see it every month in my support group.

Everyone should have a responsbile primary care doctor who should be talking to them about surgical options. If they are not, they need a new primary care. And if you are thinking about going into major surgery like this without having been medically cleared, that's also a bad decision. Everyone I know, and I'm not exaggerating this, has access to the internet and there are multiple WLS seminars advertised and offered in our area by 4 different medical facilities each month. I just don't think I need to be putting myself into anyone else's life as an advocate for gastric sleeve. I don't want that responsibiliy and I don't think it's my job.

As this thread starts out by saying, this is just my opinion.

My friend had a BMI of 30 and no other health issues like I did. I had HBP, high triglycerides, see a cardiologist for a heart issue and had borderline diabetes. She is 5' 7 and weighed 188. I have offered her my reading materials before and after her surgery and tried to coach her on the Vitamins and diet. She declines, so I have adopted an attitude of "I need to only worry about myself and let this go". I am happy for her that she wants to "look better" and lose the weight, but I an not her doctor or her nutritionist.

You are so right. You can only tell your story. A friend is overweight & has Diabetes II. But she seems mad that I got this. Even though I see her every week & she can see this is working.

We use to talk food & restaurants. Her husband (a friend also) told me "I should of never got it done.") Hasn't spoken much to me since. You are right, we can't live other peoples life's.

My friends and family all know I am going to Mexico for the surgery. That's just the kind of person I am, very open and honest. I don't hide anything. My dad is nervous about it being done in Mexico so he is going with me. He said he talked to his doctor about it yesterday, he is very overweight and having some health problems now. She talked to him about the pros and cons and he wants to wait and see how my surgery and progress goes before he decides to have it done. My dad was always super skinny when he was younger and this weight gain is really getting him down so I think he's hoping it works well for me. That just motivates me even more knowing he will be watching me.