Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! I'm 1 year out and hungry ALL the time!

Hi, I just joined this site hoping to find someone else like me, and some good advice. I am 1 year and 1 month post op. My dr. does mostly gastric bypass surgeries, so out of the 40 people who attend monthly support meetings, I am the only sleeve. There is 1 other sleeve in the area done by him, and she totally "fell off the wagon." She eats whatever she wants and has gained quite a bit of weight back. I am really worried. I lost about 70 lbs. but have stopped losing weight for the last 3-4 months. I am stalled at 225. I am so tired of hearing the gastric bypass people (and even gastric sleeve people online) say that they are rarely or never hungry. I am HUNGRY ALL THE TIME. It is very difficult for me to go 2 hours without feeling hungry. I've talked to my nutritionist and dr. and they say I shouldn't be, it's all in my head. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it? I feel like even though I am eating small portions, I am eating them too often and consuming way to many calories. Where can I find suggestions for satisfying meals that fill me up longer with fewer calories?Anyone want to share their story with me?

Hi Shrinking:

You've come to the right place for experts in WLS success. I'm a little less than 4 months out, so I'm not dealing with the same issues you have at 1 year out, but I can relay advice I've seen the senior sleevers offer:

• Are you eating Protein first? Protein is filling and stays with you longer.
  • Are you eating a lot of carbs? Many successful people here recommend low carbs and find that when they do eat more carbs, they are more hungry. I've seen guidelines between 30 and 60 grams per day.
  • Have you considered that your hunger may be acid indigestion? You could try a PPI (Proton pump inhibitor) such as Prilosec. Your doctor may write you a prescription or you can buy over the counter.
  • Are you drinking enough Water? This is an old trick I learned in Weight Watchers, but it's a goody: Sometimes when we think we are hungry, we are just thirsty.
  • Are you tracking Water and food intake? It's always a good starting place so you can truly know how much protein, carbs, calories, and fluids you are going through per day.

Welcome to VerticalSleeveTalk! I love this community and I hope you will find it as supportive and helpful as I have.

Lynda

lsereno has some great advice. If you are not doing it, track everything you eat, use fitday or something like this. It really helps me to keep accountable. Even though some days I go WAY off plan, I can usually keep the calories down and the Protein up if I keep track. This helps me from gaining. I can also see if something is working for me or not. Do you exercise? Also do not drink with or 30 minutes after a meal... this can cause the food you eat to leave the stomach sooner, and leave you hungry for more. Good luck!

If you are not on a PPI this might be the problem. But I do have to say that there are some people on here that have mentioned that they did not lose their hunger. I hope its the PPI and not the hunger.

Only thing I can think of is try to eat more dense Protein so that it sits in your stomach longer.

Thank you for the suggestions! I am also glad to see that other sleevers have experienced hunger issues as well. I will be talking to my General Practitioner about something like Prilosec. My sleeve surgeon said there should be no acid in my stomach or esophagus (!) - I beg to differ with him. I think the shooting pains in my stomach when there is no food in it must have something to do with acid.

Hi, I just joined this site hoping to find someone else like me, and some good advice. I am 1 year and 1 month post op. My dr. does mostly gastric bypass surgeries, so out of the 40 people who attend monthly support meetings, I am the only sleeve. There is 1 other sleeve in the area done by him, and she totally "fell off the wagon." She eats whatever she wants and has gained quite a bit of weight back. I am really worried. I lost about 70 lbs. but have stopped losing weight for the last 3-4 months. I am stalled at 225. I am so tired of hearing the gastric bypass people (and even gastric sleeve people online) say that they are rarely or never hungry. I am HUNGRY ALL THE TIME. It is very difficult for me to go 2 hours without feeling hungry. I've talked to my nutritionist and dr. and they say I shouldn't be, it's all in my head. Anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it? I feel like even though I am eating small portions, I am eating them too often and consuming way to many calories. Where can I find suggestions for satisfying meals that fill me up longer with fewer calories?Anyone want to share their story with me?

I stalled over 7 months after my 1st year. . i waiver between 200 - 210 lbs. . . what i do is be tough with myself. . . i was self pay and i knew why i wanted this surgery and for me it's very simple, "be damned if i gain weight again" if i see myself going up, even 1 lb, i go on a diet (yes, just like in the olden days) Then I make sure I lose at least 10 lbs. . . I am very very careful about what i eat. . . I don't kill myself with exercise though, I hate exercise, I get what exercise i can through natural means. For example, I park my car 1/4 mile away from work and walk morning and night. . . at home i make sure i bend, stretch, do all that i need to and not just sit on the couch all evening. . . just little things, but they sure add up. . . good luck. . . i'm sure you KNOW what needs to be done. . .

I stalled over 7 months after my 1st year. . i waiver between 200 - 210 lbs. . . what i do is be tough with myself. . . i was self pay and i knew why i wanted this surgery and for me it's very simple, "be damned if i gain weight again" if i see myself going up, even 1 lb, i go on a diet (yes, just like in the olden days) Then I make sure I lose at least 10 lbs. . . I am very very careful about what i eat. . . I don't kill myself with exercise though, I hate exercise, I get what exercise i can through natural means. For example, I park my car 1/4 mile away from work and walk morning and night. . . at home i make sure i bend, stretch, do all that i need to and not just sit on the couch all evening. . . just little things, but they sure add up. . . good luck. . . i'm sure you KNOW what needs to be done. . .

Thanks!

As others have stated, things that can cause hunger are 1)acid- you can get a generic prilosec otc at Walmart and other places now 2) carbs-causes hunger and cravings for more carbs- eliminate all carbs for a few days or wk to get them out of your system then only add back in "good" carbs like veggies. 3) protein-it keeps you fuller longer so you need to increase 4)water- I think a lot of us don't get enuff, myself included, but it helps satisfy hunger, flush out fat and toxins, and we do eat sometimes when we are actually thirsty. If you have been drinking sugary drinks, I would eliminate them and only drink sugar free liquids. Also don't drink with meals. 5) Exercise--find something that you love to do, but doesn't feel like exercise. Something you enjoy. I use the Wii Just Dance 2 and other dance games and exercise videos. This is great for me, cuz I am usually without a vehicle most of the day, saves gas,no heat/cold weather concerns, and I can jump up and do it without a lot of effort, planning, and do it anytime I'd like.

The food tracking sites/apps are wonderful for showing you what your getting in as far as calories, carbs, Protein, etc. myfitnesspal.com is a good one with apps for your phone and a huge database. Good luck!

:)

I would like to stress exercise. Even though I have some days when I fall off the wagon, I still make sure to exercise. I notice, that I still maintain or even lose weight. Do something that you like. I do every exercise there is, I think, but I actually enjoy walking. I put on my headphones and walk for about 3 hours. I have a tracking app, and before I know it, I'm walking over 10 miles. It really helps to melt away the pounds and build the muscle. If you like to dance, do Zumba. If you like to swim, do that, or try Water aerobics. It doesn't feel like exercise while you're in the Water. Once you get it out your muscles tell a different story. Just make sure you're staying active.

Also, measure your food. My doctor stresses to measure not weigh. Like the others said Protein first. I do allow myself a "snack" a day that's not on the list. But, it's something low-fat or fat free, like those Weight Watchers Mini Fudge pops, or Fat Free chocolate pudding and fat free Cool-whip. It's yummy, and I stay under 100 calories.

I think it's about balance. Granted, I'm only 7 months out, but I've already lost 60% of my body weight and I'm 4 pounds from my goal. I think I'm doing pretty well. I hope I can maintain it!

Good luck to you. We're here if you need us!!!:rolleyes: