Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wine, cup of coffee

Hello.. I am a month out.. I just wondered when I could have a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. I can't fine my diet package right now because we have company staying with us and my house is upside down..lol

By they way, and I mean this kindly, I don't require responses telling me how alcohol is empty calories and not a good choice..etc.. I know the drill.. just wondered when I could have a glass of wine or a coffee with the company :)

Thanks!!

My doc's hardline on alcohol was "never" or at least until I hit goal (same for caffeine), but when I pressed him and very pointedly said that I would not be a non-drinker forever, he said 3-6 months and I should be OK. He reminded me that my tolerance could be significantly impacted so to take it easy. I'm looking forward to that experiment!

I think a lot of people have returned to caffeine after 3 months or so.

I haven't had coffe since my surgery, but I drink 5 hour energy drinks occasionaly since about 5 weeks out (once or twice a week). I had a glass of wine at about 3 weeks after surgery. I remember thinking it wasn't worth it. But about 5 weeks after surgery it seemed worth it to me :) My manual says not to drink for a year after surgery. I have, but have had no problems. Good luck in your journey!

Thanks! :)

I ended up finding my plan as well.. it says to wait for 6 weeks. I find it so strange how everyone's plan is so incredibly different. Who is making up these rules and why are they so contradictory? lol Anyways.. I am going to wait a bit :) I appreciate your help.

I waited about 6 weeks before I had caffeine and about 3 months before I had alcohol. I have found though that one drink at a bar (probably 2-3 shots worth of vodka) makes me feel good and 2 just makes me unwalkable drunk lol. So be careful!

Thanks! :)

I ended up finding my plan as well.. it says to wait for 6 weeks. I find it so strange how everyone's plan is so incredibly different. Who is making up these rules and why are they so contradictory? lol Anyways.. I am going to wait a bit :) I appreciate your help.

I think that the variation in advice stems from the differing experiences and backgrounds of our surgeons - some have noted their docs as not caring about the nutritional aspect of the plan, as they are the surgeon and that's the nut's job. My doc is one who is in the no alcohol at all for the 12-18 month (or whatever it takes) weight loss period camp (which also gets brought up in the psych eval - can you give up drinking for a year or more?), and that comes from his experience as a liver transplant surgeon, which he still does along with the bariatrics. Needless to say that he is a bit anal about liver health. His view is that being obese, our livers are in bad enough shape to begin with, add to that the load it has metabolizing all of the fat that we're losing, so you don't want to give it any more to handle in metabolizing alcohol. Other surgeons don't have that perspective, but may bring other experience to the table (hence, you find some docs heavily into the no carb trend while others stick with more classic balanced nutrition concepts.) I do find it curious, however, that my doc doesn't go in for the intensive "liver shrinking" pre-op diet that seems to be so important to some docs.

These program variances may be disconcerting to some, but on the other hand, it does give us some choice in programs when choosing a surgeon.

Personally I haven't been a big wine drinker and gave up coffee a long time ago, it just added calories and nothing else. I found working out is a great replacement for coffee. Only wine I have is at church. Be careful not to swallow to fast and good luck.

I think that the variation in advice stems from the differing experiences and backgrounds of our surgeons - some have noted their docs as not caring about the nutritional aspect of the plan, as they are the surgeon and that's the nut's job. My doc is one who is in the no alcohol at all for the 12-18 month (or whatever it takes) weight loss period camp (which also gets brought up in the psych eval - can you give up drinking for a year or more?), and that comes from his experience as a liver transplant surgeon, which he still does along with the bariatrics. Needless to say that he is a bit anal about liver health. His view is that being obese, our livers are in bad enough shape to begin with, add to that the load it has metabolizing all of the fat that we're losing, so you don't want to give it any more to handle in metabolizing alcohol. Other surgeons don't have that perspective, but may bring other experience to the table (hence, you find some docs heavily into the no carb trend while others stick with more classic balanced nutrition concepts.) I do find it curious, however, that my doc doesn't go in for the intensive "liver shrinking" pre-op diet that seems to be so important to some docs.

These program variances may be disconcerting to some, but on the other hand, it does give us some choice in programs when choosing a surgeon.

Your dr. sound VERY similar to mine. I was told no alcohol until at least 1 year post-op (I'm 10 months now and haven't had a drop of alcohol or soda since before surgery) I was told to say goodbye to caffeine forever and now I do drink 1 cup of Decaf a day (decaf still has small amts of caffeine). My dr. also doesn't believe in the liver-shrinking diet and said my liver was beautiful when he was in there...lol.

I think follow your surgeon's guidelines and use your own common sense. If caffeine or alcohol are slippery slopes for you then maybe give yourself more time before partaking. While they are not slippery slopes for me (I truly had no problem giving them up, as I'm not a big drinker anyway, diet soda was harder than alcohol for me, but I did it anyway, cold turkey too!) I just felt it was in my best interests to not give myself tiny amounts of something that my body doesn't even need. You will figure out what works best for you and your sleeve.

im 4 weeks out and i had some wine at 3 weeks. i also had some tequilla. i didnt want to but i was over at my skinny sisters house who doesnt know about the surgery and i didnt want her to suspect anything. (she made a very mean comment to me this summer, goes like this, "i may be older then you but at least im skinny and hot." it hurt really bad and i decided not to let her in on my wls. anyhow while i was over at her house she poured us all shots and i just did it. it didnt hurt at all, however i used to be able to drink with the best of them, and i was %@#&-faced after one shot! also it only takes one glass of wine to put me tippsy. i guess im a cheap date now :)

as for it impeading my weight loss, i have already lost 25 pounds since surgery and 71 pounds total. im doing everything right as far as eating, so im not to worried about it.

it think you should test it out a little at a time to make sure it doesnt hurt.....and of course only drink for special occations as you dont want a new addiction, or to mess up your weight loss :)

i think the whole point is to enjoy our lives to the fullest. thats what i plan on doing :)

I haven't asked my Doc how long I could drink Alcohol. I just figured, it wouldn't do anything to help with weight loss, so i was content to just wait until i hit my goal. coffee on the other hand.... For now i'm okay because of the B12, but I do miss the taste :(

I'm 8 weeks out and I went to mass this morning and took holy communion with the wine and just one sip made me feel like I would vomit. I was uncomfortable for about half an hour and then it passed. I actually had the hot flash and spinning head, crazy after just one sip! Of course I was never really a drinker before so that probably explains it. I find the foods I ate alot of before I can tolerate just fine now (salad). When Most people eat salad at my stage they say the lettuce doesn't agree with them but it does me just fine. I have always had a difficult time tolerating coffee and I tried a cold coffee the other day and it too made me feel bad. So maybe if you drank socially before and tolerated your alchohal before you will be ok....just a guess.

Well i had a very small sample of blkberry wine today at our local arts n crafts festival, I shared it. So i actually only had 2 sips. It didnt bother me... I love margarita's but im scared to drink them until my nut says i can, ill prolly drink the skinny marg. Small cup shld be fine!. I am almost at my 2month mark.

I drink a skim latte everyday since 1 week out and 1 beer a week since a month out and have had fantastic results and no problems.

Oh goodie.. beer! lol Thanks for responding :)

I drink a skim latte everyday since 1 week out and 1 beer a week since a month out and have had fantastic results and no problems.

I drink coffee, diet coke and alcohol-all in moderation. I didn't drink much alcohol until I was close to goal. At this point though I'm trying to get Kcal in to maintain and quit losing! Nice problem right? I don't mind being this amazingly thin but almost nobody knows about my surgery and is sorta watching me and freaking out. Anyway, the only rule I followed was 60 grams of Protein everyday. I didn't get all the Water in, but tried. I didn't stop eating carbs, bubbly things or coffee. I drink when I eat and I eat carbs in moderation. However, I find I don't have much room for carbs when I'm pounding the protein down. The other thing I did was exercise. Anyway, in my brain those are the most important things. Its been 8 months and its still a honeymoon!