Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention Dr. Almanza patients

There have been 2 posts in the last couple of days of stealing from the recovery house and now an armed robbery. Please, I understand the need for selfpay. I am a selfpay. But there are other and safer places to go to than the recovery house from Dr. Almanza. I will copy the post from the gastricsleeve.com forum below.

Firsts: Sleeve, Mexico, Getting robbed at gunpoint

I had my surgery Aug 27 with Dr. Almanza... Wonderful experience with the staff. Especially Osiel, the night nurse, really wonderful... no English though, which was fun for me to practice.

We all moved to the Recovery House Sunday around noon. I hadn't even slept two hours before I turned over uncomfortably wishing the masseuse would get there. A man came into our room; asked if we were doing ok; walked out. I let one of the two ladies in the room know what he had said (since it was in Spanish) and she commented that she had never seen the gentleman before... I didn't think anything of it...

Not more than two minutes later another guy walked in... this guy was wearing all black like our drivers - he even went as far as to wearing the little bag around him as the drivers do... He topped off his look with a surgical mask and P22. Now, I realize it's not a big gun... but try being crazy uncomfortable, just waking up, hardly wearing anything, and without your glasses when that happens! It was surreal when he came in with that gun. I actually asked him what the hell was going on! Dumb... he pointed that thing at me. He asked for money and cell phones. The three of us in the room didn't have much but we were pretty compliant as he walked around the room calmly while pointing the gun at us asking for those items. I gave him my phone after a few minutes... I dug in my bag when his back was turned to push my wallet lower... he turned and saw me and again pointed the gun at me. I pulled out a shirt and made to put it on just so he wouldn't know what I had actually done... nausea... after spitting a few times and between (for sympathy) pleading that I really had nothing else to give, he walked over to me and handed me my sweater which was decidedly easier to put on rather than a shirt... Nice guy. After the first armed robber came back in our room and gave our gracious armed robber something to tie one of us up... he did... walked around asking and pointing again... then left. He never went through our bags. There were three of us, two of which weren't tied up... but we're so weak at this point it would have been easy... Five other ladies were tied up in the house, including the nurse.

After it all.... nobody was hurt. Stuff was stolen, but really, it's just stuff...

My thoughts?...

1. Inside Job - these two knew the only men in the house had left. They got into the gated community. They wore similar clothes as everyone we'd had contact with so far... or

2. Those guys were super smooth and cased the joint for a while before making their move...

You decide. I felt like when the guys "in charge" of the recovery house got back they were a little... let's say... insincere.

We were all taken back to the clinic and left by noon the next day - a day sooner than most.

Surgery went well. I'm doing well (even after a 22 hour drive back home). Everyday is easier and I'm still happy with my decision to have the surgery... and since I've survived my first armed robbery I guess you could say I'm stronger for the experience! I couldn't have afforded a State Side Surgery so this still was a good choice for me.

Be careful though... no matter where you are!

How horrible!! Thank God no one was hurt. So sorry this happened to you. This is the first time i have ever heard of patients in MX having a problem like this. This is very scary! There was a security guard at the hospital and hotel with Dr Kelly. I would of thought the Recovery House would have too.

I'm glad your recovery is going well!! Welcome to Sleeveland!

Unbelievable. Wow - I just can't imagine going through this right after major surgery. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt! I think it's too bad that there are not affordable options in the states when people have to self pay in order to take care of their medical needs. Thank you for deciding to post this so everyone going to Mexico knows what happened in this situation.

I wonder why you weren't sent to another facility that allowed you to recoup for the full stay, instead of releasing you a day early.

Remember it was not me who was sleeved there. It was a person from gastricsleeve.com that goes by rock22. Dr. Almanza came by the next day but really if it is too be stopped Dr. Almanza's patients are going to need to throw a fuss. I know I would!

OMG ohmy.gif What a horrible thing!

Lisa

There have been 2 posts in the last couple of days of stealing from the recovery house and now an armed robbery. Please, I understand the need for selfpay. I am a selfpay. But there are other and safer places to go to than the recovery house from Dr. Almanza. I will copy the post from the gastricsleeve.com forum below.

Firsts: Sleeve, Mexico, Getting robbed at gunpoint

I had my surgery Aug 27 with Dr. Almanza... Wonderful experience with the staff. Especially Osiel, the night nurse, really wonderful... no English though, which was fun for me to practice.

We all moved to the Recovery House Sunday around noon. I hadn't even slept two hours before I turned over uncomfortably wishing the masseuse would get there. A man came into our room; asked if we were doing ok; walked out. I let one of the two ladies in the room know what he had said (since it was in Spanish) and she commented that she had never seen the gentleman before... I didn't think anything of it...

Not more than two minutes later another guy walked in... this guy was wearing all black like our drivers - he even went as far as to wearing the little bag around him as the drivers do... He topped off his look with a surgical mask and P22. Now, I realize it's not a big gun... but try being crazy uncomfortable, just waking up, hardly wearing anything, and without your glasses when that happens! It was surreal when he came in with that gun. I actually asked him what the hell was going on! Dumb... he pointed that thing at me. He asked for money and cell phones. The three of us in the room didn't have much but we were pretty compliant as he walked around the room calmly while pointing the gun at us asking for those items. I gave him my phone after a few minutes... I dug in my bag when his back was turned to push my wallet lower... he turned and saw me and again pointed the gun at me. I pulled out a shirt and made to put it on just so he wouldn't know what I had actually done... nausea... after spitting a few times and between (for sympathy) pleading that I really had nothing else to give, he walked over to me and handed me my sweater which was decidedly easier to put on rather than a shirt... Nice guy. After the first armed robber came back in our room and gave our gracious armed robber something to tie one of us up... he did... walked around asking and pointing again... then left. He never went through our bags. There were three of us, two of which weren't tied up... but we're so weak at this point it would have been easy... Five other ladies were tied up in the house, including the nurse.

After it all.... nobody was hurt. Stuff was stolen, but really, it's just stuff...

My thoughts?...

1. Inside Job - these two knew the only men in the house had left. They got into the gated community. They wore similar clothes as everyone we'd had contact with so far... or

2. Those guys were super smooth and cased the joint for a while before making their move...

You decide. I felt like when the guys "in charge" of the recovery house got back they were a little... let's say... insincere.

We were all taken back to the clinic and left by noon the next day - a day sooner than most.

Surgery went well. I'm doing well (even after a 22 hour drive back home). Everyday is easier and I'm still happy with my decision to have the surgery... and since I've survived my first armed robbery I guess you could say I'm stronger for the experience! I couldn't have afforded a State Side Surgery so this still was a good choice for me.

Be careful though... no matter where you are!

Thank you for posting this. When I first read something like this, I always question if it is true or not. I stayed at the recovery house without incident. I did however confirm that the story posted above is indeed true. I confirmed with my coordinator that this did happen. This was the first time in 14 years they have ever had any issues. She assured me that extra precations have been taken to assure it does not happen again. Unfortunately, this can and does happen anywhere. We always talk about border violence but we have to look no further than our own back yard in any major cities and we have the same crime.

I was really praying about this....and God has confirmed my prayers.....I am going with Dr. Aceves. I wish others well who decide to go with Dr. Almanza. Be safe and prayerful. I know that this is a surgery that is needed..but I don't even want to go to the recovery house..thinking what is going to happen? I desire success and peace!

I was really praying about this....and God has confirmed my prayers.....I am going with Dr. Aceves. I wish others well who decide to go with Dr. Almanza. Be safe and prayerful. I know that this is a surgery that is needed..but I don't even want to go to the recovery house..thinking what is going to happen? I desire success and peace!

You won't have any regrets about choosing Dr Aceves, you'll be in excellent hands (and safe) ..

Thank-you newlife2011... there has been a great peace that has come over me since I have made the decision.....I was blown away by the whole "robbery" notion..the sad part is that there is such a desperation for this tool...that we are willing to overlook some facts...I admit I over looked the infection rate and leak problems......but this I cannot sacrifice my recovery...I like the fact I am in a hospital...being checked on constantly...I like others..initially wanted Dr. Aceves but I got swayed by the pricing....I have researched and researched and researched some more...and I am not knocking anyone's decision to go with Almanza...but I cannot...I don't want to be laid in the house...in a room....and someone comes in and holds me gunpoint....I am worth more than overlooking that! I am worth soo much more..and even if they have taken security precautions......its not for me...but I pray the safety in the recovery house,not for me,but for those who have no other options or are willing to overlook it....

I am glad that people post information (both good and bad). There is a lot of anxiety about surgery even when you are extremely familiar with the surgeon. I think there is an added level of anxiety about traveling out of the country to be treated. I am glad that people are informed of all their options so they can make a decision that is best for each of us.

Thank-you newlife2011... there has been a great peace that has come over me since I have made the decision.....I was blown away by the whole "robbery" notion..the sad part is that there is such a desperation for this tool...that we are willing to overlook some facts...I admit I over looked the infection rate and leak problems......but this I cannot sacrifice my recovery...I like the fact I am in a hospital...being checked on constantly...I like others..initially wanted Dr. Aceves but I got swayed by the pricing....I have researched and researched and researched some more...and I am not knocking anyone's decision to go with Almanza...but I cannot...I don't want to be laid in the house...in a room....and someone comes in and holds me gunpoint....I am worth more than overlooking that! I am worth soo much more..and even if they have taken security precautions......its not for me...but I pray the safety in the recovery house,not for me,but for those who have no other options or are willing to overlook it....

Very wise. When I was first looking into the sleeve and thought I would have to go to Mexico I was going to choose Dr. Aceves. But I found a selfpay doc in KC. After adding up the cost of surgery,airfare for two, plus time off there was a couple thousand dollar difference. So I choose to go in KC in be out only 1 night. Plus I am a high risk patient due to a rare liver disease and my husband was not happy about Mexico.

I am going to Almanza in the morning. I will update as soon as I can. Good luck to all of you regardless of who you go too.

Fendo...please do....inquire what are the precautions they have taken..instead of giving the same generalized answer...what have they really done?...thanks in advance..and I pray that God bless your coming and your going. I pray that your procedure be blessed and your recovery as well. May God bless every angle of your experience.