Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Waiting word from Insurance company - so worried!

Hi, I have a lapband (May 2005), lost about 35 lbs, gained 25 back and I have a lot of discomfort with the band. I was really down on myself for not losing weight with weight loss surgery and though shoot, I'm just so far gone even surgery can't help me. So about 2 months ago I was having a lot of pain and thought maybe my band slipped and I called the doc - he confirmed it's not slipped but it clearly isn't working for me (normal reasons - lack of weight loss, throwing up daily, pain, now I'm getting heartburn). I hadn't even heard of the vertical sleeve before my meeting with him and got excited because I'm reading so many positive band to sleeve experiences. I'm SO NERVOUS they are going to say no to my surgery. My bmi is 48. Do you guys think it's easier or harder or about the same to get insurance approval when you're looking at a revision surgery instead of just a first weight loss surgery?

I can barely stand the wait. Any thoughts about insurance and their williness to deband/convert?

Thanks so much!!

Teri

Hi Teri,

I have had my band for a little over 2 years. I have lost 90# but regained 20# of it. I do not have a slip or erosion or any major complication. My band is just too fickle. I am either way too tight or way too loose. I can't find a happy medium. I have had almost 30 fills/unfills. I am either unable to eat and throw up everything and have terrible acid reflux or I am too loose and can eat a horse. My doctor submitted my revision request and I got a reply in less that 2 week. I am approved for the revision with absolutely no hoops to jump through. I don't even have to do a liquid diet before the surgery because I'm at a normal weight. I also had a complete physical this summer so I don't have to have any pre-op tests. I'm having my revision on Sept 20th.

I hope you have as much good fortune as I did with insurance. I have Security health through my work.

Shelli

Hi Shelli!

Oh my gosh, that is SO GREAT!!! I'm so glad your revision is approved! Please keep me posted. I hope the sleeve is a much better "fit" for you than the band (my issues with it are so similar to yours).

Only 3 more weeks for you! Thanks for sharing your story. I am awaiting word.

Warmly,

Teri

Hi Teri,

I have had my band for a little over 2 years. I have lost 90# but regained 20# of it. I do not have a slip or erosion or any major complication. My band is just too fickle. I am either way too tight or way too loose. I can't find a happy medium. I have had almost 30 fills/unfills. I am either unable to eat and throw up everything and have terrible acid reflux or I am too loose and can eat a horse. My doctor submitted my revision request and I got a reply in less that 2 week. I am approved for the revision with absolutely no hoops to jump through. I don't even have to do a liquid diet before the surgery because I'm at a normal weight. I also had a complete physical this summer so I don't have to have any pre-op tests. I'm having my revision on Sept 20th.

I hope you have as much good fortune as I did with insurance. I have Security health through my work.

Shelli

Oh I'm jealous. I hope my approval goes through! I lost 90 with the band and then gained 30 back. They're going with the 'didn't lose enough weight' and the fact that I'm still on BP meds (even though that's not actually why my doctor gave it to me, my BP is fine). I will be heartbroken if there's an issue. I hate this band and what it gone, even if I have to rip it out myself! Oooooh, that sounded kinda psycho...