Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you are feeling is very normal. I had my surgery on 7/18 and I can honestly say, I would absolutely do it over again. I absolutely have no regrets. This is the best think I have ever done for myself. My confidence has soared, I feel better and I am enjoying the way my body is changing. Be good to yourself and remember that what you are feeling is normal. It gets better

Thank you, ladies. My surgery is September 23rd. I am still in disbelief on how close it is..

Two words sum up all of my emotions.

I worry that this is not the way. I worry about what will become of my relationship. I'm worried my new body will illicit changes in me I never imagined. I worry because the procedure is irreversible. There is no turning back. I'm also worried that if I stay the way I am life will get progressively worse.

I'm scared.

Scared to stay where I am. Scared to move forward.

The closer I get to September the more I worry in silence. I fear this unknown. I'm 36 years old and weigh over 400 pounds. I'll certainly not live a long life at 400 pounds. Not many 400 pound 80 year old men around. This should be enough to keep me focused and motivated. I am worried, nervous, constantly second-guessing this decision.

I'm scared....

Thank you for your post. I just joined today and saw your post and it says everything that I've been feeling.

After reading the replies, it too has made me feel a little better. I am in the process of getting insurance approval with Aetna now and that worries me a bit.

I do have a few questions for you and others out there:

1- I have Aetna - how were you able to get approved within one day? Is this normal for Aenta?

2- Do/Did any of you have fears about the removal of the stomach being "permanent" ?

- This, I think, is what is scaring me the most

3 - Did any of you, that have had the surgery, experience any leakage from the staple site?

- This is my 2nd fear.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

First off, WELCOME to VST!!!!! There's a plethora of information here and people with cast knowledge of Sleeve Gastrectomy. 4

1. I was approved following the first set of guidelines in their Clinical Policy Bulletin #0157 outlining the 3-month process.

a. I saw my primary doc for nearly every month for six months prior and had three years of BMI history documented + weight management discussions.

b. three consecutive months of nutrition counseling & exercise counseling.

c. a single 1-on-1 with a nutritionist (NUT)

d. I am also 400+ pounds with a BMI of nearly 60.

2. I was afraid of this too but reading this site I saw someone reply by saying (paraphrased) "Why would you WANT to go back to the way things were?" Also, eventually over time the stomach will stretch to some degree, but not to its original size.

3. While I have not had my Sleeve yet, the issue of leakage is probably a non-issue as the surgeon does a leak test before you are discharged. Well as far as I know this is true.

I'm still nervous and sometimes scared of getting my Sleeve. But I'm more scared of not being around in 10 or 20 years because of my size.

Thank you for your post. I just joined today and saw your post and it says everything that I've been feeling.

After reading the replies, it too has made me feel a little better. I am in the process of getting insurance approval with Aetna now and that worries me a bit.

I do have a few questions for you and others out there:

1- I have Aetna - how were you able to get approved within one day? Is this normal for Aenta?

2- Do/Did any of you have fears about the removal of the stomach being "permanent" ?

- This, I think, is what is scaring me the most

3 - Did any of you, that have had the surgery, experience any leakage from the staple site?

- This is my 2nd fear.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Being scared is normal... I'd be worried if you had no fear at all. This surgery is life-altering. It will change the way you deal with food, it will change the way you see yourself, it will change the way the world sees you, it will change your entire life! Something this momentous should scare you. BUT- that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It just means that you are really considering how much your life will change & not walking in blindly. I was terrified that this surgery was going to kill me... I even wrote letters the night before surgery saying goodbye to the people I loved. But, I ultimately decided that it was worth the risk of death. For years, I felt like I hadn't really been living. I was embarrassed just by existing at the size I was. I decided that if I died, at least I would die trying to change my life & become the person I wanted & deserved to be. And at 6 months out, I can honestly say having this surgery was the single best thing I've ever done for myself. I actually feel like the fun-loving person I used to be. I'm not embarrassed by the way I look - I don't fear meeting new people - My life has shifted & for the better. I hope you won't let fear stop you. Let it inspire you to put everything you've got into making the sleeve work & succeeding using the tool you're being given.

Krista

I feel the same way. My surgery is on the 12th and I woke up this morning extremely grouchy and emotional. I worry about my kids, my husband, how to manage after surgery and going back to work. I worry I will miss eating in general, I will be too tired all the time, and in pain. I have a friend that had RNY and she regrets it almost daily, not a good role model for me. We have come this far and considered this option for a reason. That's what I keep telling myself.

N2B8R,

I to was scared. I am the biggest baby when it comes to operations. This was my the first time being under the knife ever. I was afraid of dying on the table, you name it I thought it. The night before the surgery I was crying with my wife on the things that scared me. What got me through it was that im doing this for me my and my family. The day of the surgery was not to bad, I had a calmness come over me and I was relaxed. The last thing I remember before the surgery was them rolling me down the hall and the next thing I knew I was in recovery. You can do it! It was so cool for my wife to come home from the store and tell me she bought me a shirt for $4 on sale! lol I kick myself for not doing this earlier in my life. I had my surgery August 16th and have dropped 28 lbs. You will be fine, What you are going through is normal. Take care! You will be so happy when it is all said and done.

Respectfully,

Joe Lopez

Being scared is normal... I'd be worried if you had no fear at all. This surgery is life-altering. It will change the way you deal with food, it will change the way you see yourself, it will change the way the world sees you, it will change your entire life! Something this momentous should scare you. BUT- that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It just means that you are really considering how much your life will change & not walking in blindly. I was terrified that this surgery was going to kill me... I even wrote letters the night before surgery saying goodbye to the people I loved. But, I ultimately decided that it was worth the risk of death. For years, I felt like I hadn't really been living. I was embarrassed just by existing at the size I was. I decided that if I died, at least I would die trying to change my life & become the person I wanted & deserved to be. And at 6 months out, I can honestly say having this surgery was the single best thing I've ever done for myself. I actually feel like the fun-loving person I used to be. I'm not embarrassed by the way I look - I don't fear meeting new people - My life has shifted & for the better. I hope you won't let fear stop you. Let it inspire you to put everything you've got into making the sleeve work & succeeding using the tool you're being given.

Krista

Thank you Krista and N2B8R!

I've only been overweight for roughly 10 years but these last 10 years have been like a prison for me. Like you, Krista, I feel I need to do something and if I die trying (not that I will) at least I tried to do something to better my quality of life. I am thrilled to see your results in just a mere 6 months and hope I can have at least half if not the same results!

N2B8R - I have done all of the Aetna requirements - except I only saw my doctor every 3 months but for the last 10 years. He provided his SOAP (treatment notes) to my surgeon and I have completed my psych exam and sleep study (I get my CPAP machine on Tuesday). I believe I still have a stress test and endoscopy to do, once the approval is in, before the surgery. I hope it gets approved soon, I would like to get the surgery done sooner than later. I'm excited to start my new life.

God bless you on your surgery! It's not far away at all! I'm looking forward to your updates on your success!!

Also, they required an Upper GI and H.pylori test. Aetna wants two years of BMI history along with the other things.

Also, they required an Upper GI and H.pylori test. Aetna wants two years of BMI history along with the other things.

I think I may get away with not having the H pylori and Upper GI because I've had those tests w/in the last 2 years. My doctor was vigilant in documenting my weight and BMI for the last 10 years, so I think I may be ok with that. I was on a few different diets for the last 3 yrs, which he monitored every three months. My situation is a little different, I couldn't see my dr. every month b/c he is in another state. I hope Aetna doesn't make me jump through too many more hoops.

Thanks for all of the advice! Have a wonderful holiday!

When i read your post i actually wanted to cry because i feel just like you...scared of everything, scared to move forward and scared oto stay as i am, but i really think by what you have said your ready for this, you just need the support and confidance to get though it. i weigh 377 and am female so very near your weight and i want to live and have a healthy future and having this op will give us our life back...so i say embrase it your/our feeling mean we no what were doing and have not made this decion on a whim!!!!!!!!!!

I really do wish you all the luck in the world and im excited you hear your journey...my surgery wont be till early next year.

stay positve ;)