Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op day 2...feeling pretty rough! Any advice is appreciated!

Well, I was sleeved at 8 am Aug 24th. I felt ok afterwards, just sore! Then on post op day 1(yesterday), I went down for my gastrograffin test (to make sure I didnt have a leak) It was good, no leaks or obstructions! So I was started on Apple juice and Water, which was making me very nauseated,so my nurse gave me a high dose of Phenergan and it knocked me out completely, therefor I wasnt able to sip at all, and had to stay an extra night, I was also very very sore and struggled getting in and out of bed:( But I guess an extra night is better than getting dehydrated and going back to the hospital! So, I came home today! I can get my juice mixed with water down ok..Ive eaten a popsicle, BUT my Isopure is another story! I cant handle that at all! The smell and the taste of it alone make me very nauseated, I threw up for the first time tonight after trying to get in my required amount, Im thinking I probably drank it too fast cause I wanted to get it over with! I am going to start my full liquids Sat night, so hopefully I will be able to do better with my Protein. Any suggestions from you experienced sleevers on ways to make getting protein down any easier??

The first few days are sooooo hard! Hang in there!. But every day gets better. Start with a few sips of you Protein Drink per day. Focus on Clear Liquids at first! You'll notice everyday you can get more and more in. You will keep feeling better!

Right after the surgery, I tolerated the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein better than any others. Many here love the Isopure Protein, but I did not like it. It tasted funny and left a weird feeling in my mouth. Also, I developed lactose intolerance. It took me a few days to figure that out and switch to soy milk in my Protein drinks when I went to full liquids. The symptom was gas pains and diarrhea. I still had diarrhea after switching to soy, but it was much less frequent and the gas pains went away.

The first few weeks are the hardest! Hang in there and welcome to the losers' bench!

Lynda

Hi there.....I am so sorry to here your not feeling that well. I am day 7 sleeved and I am just able to tolerate the Protein. My main goal was to stay hydrated and walk walk walk!!! Im not saying thats right for you but regurgitation is not good for you now and neither is de-hydration so take it slow and know that it gets better.

I made myself a little check off list with 30 boxes (since 30 ounces is the absolute minimum amount of Fluid you need to get in per day in order to stay out of the hospital according to my surgeon) and I used the little one ounce medicine cups and every time I finished one I crossed off a box. It made it so much easier for me to get my Protein Shakes and my Water in. Also, take it easy and remember it gets easier!

HI there. Sorry you're feeling so rough. I also had a very difficult recovery for like the first 10 days! I promise you will start to feel better but skip the Isopure for now. You're main focus is to get Fluid in. You cannot let yourself get dehydrated! You will not get Protein difficient in 10 days. Just try to focus on your Water. I didn't start getting all my protein until day 12 and my surgeon said that was perfectly fine. Water/liquid first. And I promise it gets better. Hang in there!:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the input everyone! I really appreciate it! I have not tried the Isopure today,just the clear liquids,and they go down A LOT easier! Its just hard to convince my fiance that its ok to just concentrate on liquids for now,since the doc said to start isopure, he is trying his best to make sure I drink it! I may try to advance to full liquids in the morning! :)

I made myself a little check off list with 30 boxes (since 30 ounces is the absolute minimum amount of Fluid you need to get in per day in order to stay out of the hospital according to my surgeon) and I used the little one ounce medicine cups and every time I finished one I crossed off a box.

Great idea! Thanks.

Great idea! Thanks.

Never read about the 30 ounce requirement to stay out of hospital for dehydration,thanks. Got sleeved on Aug.23. Guess I am getting in 30 ounces. I do feel nausua, though.

I agree. Isopure tastes awful, but it is a very high-source of Protein. The Atkins Advantage Protein shakes are a little more tolerable for me (although I think they tasted better before my sleeve surgery which is weird). They're not as high in Protein as an Isopure drink; they have 15g of protein in one shake.

The liquid phase is tough, especially the first few days. I'm still on the liquid diet, but it's gotten A LOT easier for me to drink. I'm 15 days post-op. You've just had surgery so you have a lot of swelling. Give it time and you'll be able to keep liquids down better :)

I agree that it is really hard the first couple of days. If you really feel like you need the Isopure, you can try cutting it down with some Water so it isn't as "thick". I still have one whole unused bottle and 2 half bottles in the fridge. I tried but it was just impossible to get that stuff down. Once I got to full liquids it was a lot better.

You could also try swapping between a couple ounces of the weakened isopure with some other drink so you don't feel like it is all you are having.

Good luck! Everyone is right. It DOES get better every day.

I put a package of splenda in my Isopure and that helped some. Of course, I'm a bit of a splenda junkie, so it may have been that too. The first 3 weeks were REALLY hard for me. I had horrible pain in my left side, and it was days before I could even get up off of the bed on my own. I went back to my surgeon on day 4 to have my drain removed and barely made it from the parking garage to the elevator! My boyfriend thought he was going to have to carry me back out of the building! But, I'm 6 weeks post op now, and amazed!!!! I've lost 55 pounds (18 were pre op) and am down from a size 24/26 to an 18/20. I can't believe it happened so fast. I've not been sick at all, and my left side pain finally went away by the end of my 3rd week. Everyone has said it get's better, and it really does! Wishing you the best of luck!

wondering one is right. you just need to stay hydrated. dont worry about the Protein for now. after a few days when you are feeling better then try a little at a time. it will get easier....keep up the walking walking walking. it helps sooooo much. the medicine cup is a great thing to use for sipping all of your required liquids. if you make sure to sip one of those down every 10 minutes while you are awake then after you have done that all day you have drank 1 gallon of liquids. good luck to you on a fast and safe recovery!

wondering one is right. you just need to stay hydrated. dont worry about the Protein for now. after a few days when you are feeling better then try a little at a time. it will get easier....keep up the walking walking walking. it helps sooooo much. the medicine cup is a great thing to use for sipping all of your required liquids. if you make sure to sip one of those down every 10 minutes while you are awake then after you have done that all day you have drank 1 gallon of liquids. good luck to you on a fast and safe recovery!

Thanks so much! I am feeling a lot better today! I just said forget the isopure! I started my full liquids and drank my first powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protien shake this morning, it went down just fine! I am getting around just fine in my house, and can get up on my own now! I may try to go for a short walk this evening!