Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else still "see" themselves at their old weight?!!

Haha funny you should ask that today. I pulled my pants out of the washer today and thought - who left these here? Oh wait - they're mine! They look way too small for me (the mental me that is) but they fit perfectly. I'm sure I will catch up eventually, but I'm not there yet. I see every roll and dimple when I look in the mirror. I do notice the difference in my face, but not as much as others do.

Lynda

OMGosh, Lynda!! I put all the clothes from the washer into the dryer the other day and thought..."I KNOW I washed my jeans, but I only saw DH's jeans!" I pulled everything out and went through it...my jeans are almost the same size as his! YAY! LOL...but I DON'T see it!!! CrAzY!!!

I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle. I was just looking at pictures of my at my heaviest & I thought... I never looked like that. Then I saw a recent picture & couldn't recognize that as me either. I find that I have no idea when I look at other people who I am about the same size as. I can't judge just how big I still am. It is very strange.

Funny I was thinking the same thing, I put my jeans in my daughters closet by mistake and when she brought them to me I had a puzzled look on my face. She said mommy these aren't mine there yours, so I'm nine months post-op maybe at my year mark my mind will catch up. Great pic by the way

I'm 24 weeks out and have lost 66 lbs, but I still see myself as a super obese person!! My brain just can't seem to catch up! Here's a pic taken at dinner Wednesday evening (8/24/11)

Week24-mybdaydinner8-24-11.jpg

but I see myself like this!! (I'm on the far left)......Anyone know when this will start to change???

Photo0277FourBySix.jpg

Some days I do and others I do not. I went and bought some new shirts the other day and thought I will get size X so that I can grow down to them. I got home and tried them on to see how they looked and they fit really nice. I was shocked and amazed that I looked thin in these shirts. I would buy more but that would be a waste of money as I still have a lot to lose.

Once again, I'm relieved I'm not the only one--and thank goodness for this board, or I would sometimes wonder if I'm cracking up! LOL Disney Momma, great pics--you can really see a difference. I completely DO still think of myself as 300+. Every time I pull something out to put on, I think, "Wait, this is too small"... it's just me and DH here, so it's not like I have any daughters whose clothes those might be, but it still really surprises me when things actually FIT and ZIP and BUTTON. Wow.

Other stuff: Yesterday I had to squeeze, not once but twice, into my car when people parked way too close--70 pounds ago, there's no way I could have done it. I was able to sneak my way in--the hardest part was getting my big ol' wedge sandal in at the very end!! There's another one--wedge sandals without feeling like my knees are going to break!!!

Yeah, I'm with you on not being able to mentally picture my body at this size yet. It's getting better, though, and it's getting FUN.

Hey,

Yep, even at 13mths post op I feel this way... Lately, say the last 3 weeks... I have really been feeling FAT!! It is a horrible state of mind for me... the realistic part of me knows that I am doing ok.. that I have lost a considerable amount of weight... then there is this naughty inner voice that says 'yeah, but you need to do more... lose more cos you are still fat!'

It is really strange as I would NEVER say this to anyone else... so why is it ok to say it to myself... Oh I really need to sort my head out...lol... I am hoping that when term time starts again, I will re focus on work and no be so hung up on what I have and haven't lost!!

I have read in here on multiple occasions how this is the case. It takes time for your brain to catch up with the body. I have days where I feel sexy and skinny as hell and there are other day's where I just feel like I am just a big ole fatty. Today, I put on my size 12R (target) jeans and they were too big! I was loving that. So I took out an old pair jeans from a few years ago that are a 13/14 juniors and they fit. LOL ugh sizes enough to make you go crazy.

Wow, funny I found this post! I saw some before and after pics on a post and was feeling like I haven't really changed much yet and looking forward to looking a little thinner myself!!! I've lost *only* 39* lbs. I decided to pull up some old fotos and, WOW, I do look smaller!!!!! I just actually started a folder with a progresion of pics. I decided to add one pic per month or so just to keep me grounded!!!! I do still think of my self and see myself the same as when I started. But even though I have a long way to go, just the 40 or so lbs. really do show!!! and I do feel the difference too. It's weird how our minds work.

I don't see myself at 280lbs, but I sure don't see myself "skinny" either. I know in my mind that I am super duper thinner than I was, I mean, 102lbs off my frame has to look a hell of a lot better! BUT, when I look at myself, I still see flaws. I still see fat, not HUGE, but fat.

I probably always will. I think as women, we are just dispositioned to feel like something has to be wrong with us and being former heavy women makes it worse.

I thought for sure losing a large amount of weight would make me feel great about myself. I mean, I do feel alot better and have more confidence, but I just don't think I will ever be satisfied. It is a horrible feeling!

Kelly :mellow:

Not yet, but I hope so soon!!! :blink:

This last week has been a trip. I saw some co-workers briefly Monday who hadn't seen me since being sleeved. ...48# down. It totally registered in their faces. However, I also went out with the girls on Wed., and someone posted pics on Facebook. Seriously, what did I ever do to them??? :P

I totally get those same feelings- the last 2 weeks have been pretty bad. I don't know why but when I look in the mirror I still see 312 pound me. It's like my mind is going backwards or something because prior to these last 2 weeks, I thought I was looking great lol. THE MIND THE MIND THE MIND!!! lol

Well you are looking good, keep up the work and hopefully your brain will catch up to your body soon!

I am in school and we have to wear a uniform. When I started, I needed a size xl shirt. Since being sleeved and losing 67 lbs, it was hanging on me like a dress. I felt really good...and thin...then my new size medium shirt came in. It fits but is tight around my abdomen and hips, just like the xl was . So now I see myself and feel like I am fat all over again. My face is thinner and I do see that but the fact that the shirt is tight on regular places really bugs me,

Go figure...

Living the dream,

Laura