Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's normal to have doubts, it is still surgery and a significant life change. Kaiser has us go through eight weeks of classes and suggest getting counseling to help with fears and help to mentally prepare for life after surgery.

I am working on week number 4 and I feel great, losing 25 pounds in three weeks really improved both my physical and mental state.

Best wishes on your decision and never look back either way. It is your decision and you be happy with it afterwards.

I'm sorry you are scared but remember - YOU did the research. Your family did not. You've obviously been on this website and you need to stay on it! VST members are the best people I have ever had the privilege of sharing with and learning from. When I have questions - people that don't know me from Hannible Lector huh.gifoffer help, encouragement and love.

If you are fearful of "not waking up" call your physician and ask him/her point blank. How many people have you personally lost doing this procedure. If he say 22...get the heck out of dodge! But if he says less than .001 percent - then jump on that table and ask for the happy koolaid as fast as you can.

Blessing young lady. I wasted 30 years being fat and my grandchildren say, "Nana - how come you don't sit on the grass with us?" Because I need a backhoe to help me get back up! (Well...maybe not that bad.) I'm 56 and will be sleeved in 6 days. Reb

Everybody has the same fears. You will be so happy when you are small and trim. Just have the surgery and trust the process. It will all turn out

fabulous and you will be so glad you did this.:D

I have a 20 month old little girl. I didn't have her until I was almost 40 years old, so I understand your feelings completely. I still wonder if I was crazy to go and do it. The truth is, at 40, the chances of me changing my lifestyle completely in order to lose 60 pounds and keep it off were zilch. No amount of Biggest Loser was going to inspire me to finally take the weight off and be a changed woman. Even those people slide back into themselves.. that's a fact. So I did it. I went to Dr. Kelly as well, by the way. It's done.. I am now going to lose weight and not be a slave to the scale and be on a diet for the rest of my life. The freedom of that was worth it to me.

I hope you find some peace about it and are supported in whatever decision you make.

Also, I cried when I went into surgery.. a LOT. It is scary. That's a fact.

Hugs to you...

Thanks everyone sooooo much!!! I am feeling better now :)--still scared--but not completely freaked out!!!

I am going to do it--I just hear so much negative stuff--if I had it to do over again I would keep my big mouth shut!!!! ;) I DO know a lot more than all those negative people--they DON'T know all about ALL the different WLS --I have waited many years for the time to be right to do this--so in less than two weeks I am gonna do it!!!!

I even have to admit, at this time, I am more scared of flying to California than I am about the surgery-:(-I HATE flying!!!!

I am happy to know I am not the only one who freaked out--makes me feel better...

Not sure how old your kiddos are, but for me I will NEVER forget the moment my 8 year old son hugged me and said "mom!!!! My hands touch when I hug you now!!" and my 4 year old daughter told me "you're a little momma now!". Still makes me tear up even now. They still hug me all the time to make sure I'm still shrinking. ;)

I know it is scary, but trust me when I tell you that you ARE doing this or your family as well as yourself. I have so much more energy now and take them on bike rides, etc. I'm the "fun" momma now instead of the tired momma. Just hang in there and try to let yourself focus on the excitement of it. Get yourself a goal outfit and hang that puppy in a place where you'll see it every day. ;) my ONLY regret is that I didn't have this done years ago!!

my 'kids' are all in their twenties--that's why I feel like this is the perfect time for me--I am an empty nester

mini goal: daughter graduates from college in May

one year goal: is my daughters wedding-- (well--really 13 months from surgery--but close enough)--she tells me she is scared what i will show up wearing if i am at goal--roflmao

You sound just like I did a week and a half ago! My post was titled "scared to death". The day before my surgery I had a melt down! I was just terrified. And just like you I have a wonderful husband and children and friends... just a great life. The fact that my surgery was elective because I had no other health problems was just really tearing me up. I was scared that I would have some major complication... or maybe I just wouldn't wake up from surgery. I had to remind myself of all the reasons I wanted this surgery. And that the risks are relatively low. AND I received so much encouragement from all the wonderful people on this site. I came home from the hospital a week ago today. Had my surgery on the 18th. The only person who knew I was even going in for the procedure was my husband. Everyone else... including my kids... thought I was going out of town for a few days to visit a college friend. Now I am home and things are going just fine! I have lost 20lbs since leaving the hospital this time last week. I never would have thought that would be possible. I am adjusting to my new life of eating very small amounts. I have been off pain killers since the beginning of this week. Not even taking Tylenol. I know I am not totally in the clear for complications. BUT I am following the diet the best I can and that is all I can do. And it is working :) You will do great. I know it is hard to see that through the fear! Just know that you are not alone and you have good reasons for doing this surgery :)

-she tells me she is scared what i will show up wearing if i am at goal--roflmao

Where something scandalous! LOL, like from NY&co.. j/k. I love their clothes, but if I tried to fit into something now I know I'd surely be causing a scene. I'm glad you are feeling better. :)

You can read my experience (posted as my first blog) and Kelly too. Both of us wrote about our trips to see Dr. Kelly. Often, the fear is the unknown. I've been twice, once for me and once (just last week) with my friend. Our trips were virtually identical, so at least you can go in knowing EXACTLY what will happen and maybe pick up a few things that get lost in translation! :lol:

San Diego airport is a GREAT place to fly into. They have their "stuff" together and you are gate to curbside in 5 minutes. Coming back, it took less than 10 to get through security...just be prepared with ramen packets and boullion cubes for "broth"...getting hot Water and tea from starbucks and on the flight! Also there is a powder packet (like a crystal light)...powerade (??? can't think of the name off the top of my head) anyway, it has electrolytes in it and both my friend and I found it easier to drink than the gatorade which is not sugar free down in Mx, so it was a little "lighter" on the tummy.

When you stay at the hotel...I recommend the chicken broth...not the tortilla Soup which is a little too tomato-ee for us. Just my opinion.

As for the fear...totally normal. My only regret?? WAITING SO LONG TO GET IT DONE!!! I'm 7 1/2 weeks out and LOVING IT!

Pack light, don't check baggage... :D Don't worry about clothes at the hospital, you spend your time in a gown. DO bring shorts and tank to wear poolside if you are staying at the Lucerna.