Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I am new to the site and just wanted to say that I have been successfully banded now for 5 1/2 years. My wonderful Dr is Hadar Spivak in Houston Texas. I was his first patient under the FDA study. I had lost 90 pounds all together but when I quit smoking I gained 40 of it back pretty quick. I am still not smoking and have been able to lose 20 of the 40 pounds so far and I am very determined to get the rest of it off. It has definately been a roller coaster ride and one that I would definately go on again!

Welcome!!

Would you say that you should have gotten a fill when you quit smoking? Or did you just eat around the band?

WELCOME to LapBandTalk.

WOW - 5 and a half years?????

I think youre one of LBT's longest bandsters... maybe THE longest one??

So glad to meet you.

Have you ever had any complications?

Good luck on getting the old 20 #'s off.

yay!! 51/2 years is great! yes, please share your story. i was just telling someone this morning that i would love to hear from someone who has had the band past 2yrs. welcome to LBT!!! :)

Welcome, 90lbs is an awsome amount... Way to go quiting smoking, that is a very hard habit to break. I quit in dec. when looking in to the band and I did the same thing. I gained over 20lbs. I am soon to be banded on the 25th.

Please let us in on your journey, and if you had any problems..

Thanks

To answer both of your posts I had reached my goal weight so I had my Dr take out some of my fill to see if I could maintain my weight. I did for about 4 months and thats when I had decided to stop smoking. I had no restriction and fell in love with hershey kisses!:phanvan I have a terrible sweet tooth! I went back to my Dr and started over with my fills again. He's a great Dr and because I was his first patient in Texas he lets me kinda have my way and we have played around a lot with the fills. I then came home and started smoking again for about 2 months and lots the first twenty of that 40 pounds. Then I got a pretty nasty cold and have not been able to smoke again and Do not want to start again! I have alot better attitude about it this time and don't feel sorry for myself any more!

This is really the only complication that I have had. I just recently had a total hysterectomy and my Dr cut me from hip to hip and went all the way up and looked at my stomach and my band. He said everything looked great and he was very impressed because I have had it so long!:clap2: This Dr did me a favor and took off the whole bottom roll of fat (. He called it a mini Tummy Tuck and I love it . My pants fit alot bettter and I can see a difference in the mirror.

When I had my lap band surgery I weighed 240 pounds and I am at 165 now. I wear a size 10 and will be released by my ob/gyn next Friday!. I have a whole new outlook and can't wait to get the ok from this dr to start exercising !!

I wish all of you success in this adventure and if I can ve of any help please let me know!!

Best of luck to all!

Samantha

Hey Congrats on the smoking thing!! and good luck with your surgery!! You will be so glad you did it. Keep a positive attitude and know that I am here rooting you on!! Let me know if you have any concerns or questions.

your banded sister,

Samantha

Wow! ITs great to have you here! I'm a newbie and it is wonderful to have a PIONEER of sorts to talk to. I hope you hang around and continue to let us ask you questions about your journey.

Terry :)

Welcome to the board and contratulations on your success!

It is AWESOME to have you here!!! It makes me feel great to hear the Spivak's patient is doing so well!!!

Please stick around. I am sure a lot of us would love to see before and after pictures if you feel like posting.

WELCOME!!!

Wow, 5 1/2 years. Impressive. Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things to do. Every time I quit I swear that I will never start again. You should be really proud of yourself for stopping. My doctor used to tell me that he'd rather have me 25 pounds overweight than to have me smoke.