Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea & multivitamin

I was sleeved about 12 weeks ago and off and on have been having bouts of nausea after taking my Multivitamin in the morning and at night.

In the morning, I usually take my multi w/ Breakfast so that I have food in my stomach. However, about an hour and half after eating, the nausea usually hits. Somedays it's not so bad and other days, like today, it was bad. I had to run to the bathroom (at work) for fear of throwing up in my office, but eventually managed to keep myself from doing it. To stem the nausea, I end up eating several saltines (up to 5).

In the evening, I usually take my multi w/ a glass of milk and carnation instant Breakfast around 10-11pm. Again, I take the multi just as I begin my snack so that there is something in my stomach. However, it is hit or miss in the evenings whether I get queasy or not. I usually have a several saltines (again) to keep it from occuring.

I currently take a women's one-a-day Vitamin. I have tried Celebrate's chewables, but I didn't care for the taste and it still made me queasy. Before surgery, I used to take Centrum, but after surgery, then also made me queasy. I read somewhere that I should try Flinstones, but like the Celebrate chewables, I didn't care for the taste and they eventually made me queasy too.

I went to GNC and Vitamin Shoppe and got some other multis they say shouldn't make me queasy. A friend recommended I take a Gummy variety but the GNC guy said it would make me queasy if Flinstones made me quesy.

So, now I come to all of you to see if there are any products out there that can make me feel better. I have no problem getting food down and have even begun eating raw veggies w/ no problems. This is the only thing that is bothering me still.

Thanks!

Robin

I was sleeved about 12 weeks ago and off and on have been having bouts of nausea after taking my Multivitamin in the morning and at night.

In the morning, I usually take my multi w/ breakfast so that I have food in my stomach. However, about an hour and half after eating, the nausea usually hits. Somedays it's not so bad and other days, like today, it was bad. I had to run to the bathroom (at work) for fear of throwing up in my office, but eventually managed to keep myself from doing it. To stem the nausea, I end up eating several saltines (up to 5).

In the evening, I usually take my multi w/ a glass of milk and carnation instant breakfast around 10-11pm. Again, I take the multi just as I begin my snack so that there is something in my stomach. However, it is hit or miss in the evenings whether I get queasy or not. I usually have a several saltines (again) to keep it from occuring.

I currently take a women's one-a-day Vitamin. I have tried Celebrate's chewables, but I didn't care for the taste and it still made me queasy. Before surgery, I used to take Centrum, but after surgery, then also made me queasy. I read somewhere that I should try Flinstones, but like the Celebrate chewables, I didn't care for the taste and they eventually made me queasy too.

I went to GNC and Vitamin Shoppe and got some other multis they say shouldn't make me queasy. A friend recommended I take a Gummy variety but the GNC guy said it would make me queasy if Flinstones made me quesy.

So, now I come to all of you to see if there are any products out there that can make me feel better. I have no problem getting food down and have even begun eating raw veggies w/ no problems. This is the only thing that is bothering me still.

Thanks!

Robin

Hi,

I had the same problems and so I found some adult gummy Vitamins at Costco--not as good as you should be taking but better than nothing. The best I found were a liquid Vitamin that I used to buy at costco. If you have a costco or a Sam's look and see if the have any liquid vitamins. I would mix them with some crystal light or even a little Water and drink them. Not bad at all.

Suzanne

Thanks, Suzanne. I don't belong to costco or Sam's Club, but maybe I can ask my sister to check it out for me. I think the hardest thing is figuring out how much you need since different companies have different amounts and I'm supposed to take 2 multis a day.

The other thing to be aware of when you're comparing Multivitamins is that it's not just the amount of each Vitamin / mineral, it's the source. As I understand it, Bariatric-formulated Vitamins are manufactured using the most easily accessible forms to maximize absorption (just like we absorb calcium citrate better).

Of course, if you can't keep them down, or they're irritating your stomach, that's obviously no good, I'm just noting that there can be differences beyond the straight mg counts on the labels.

I did read recently that one company has started making Protein powder with the multivitamin built in, but it might irritate your stomach just as easily. I think it's Bariatric Advantage - it was mentioned recently on the World According to Eggface blog. It's pretty pricey, but if you add the cost of regular Protein and the cost of the Vitamin together, it may price out reasonably.

Have you spoken with your surgeon? I wonder if it could be that your stomach is irritated, and you just need to pause in taking the vitamin for a week or two to let it get back to normal.

Good luck!

I'm 6 weeks out and I'm the same way. My NUT finally said to use the gummies if I could, because its better than nothing. So I take One A day Gummies for adults. Instead of 2 per day I take 3. In a few weeks I'm going to try my Celebrate chewables again. But just like you, they make m vomit....its not pretty.

Calcium chewable do me the same way. So I found a liquid that I can tolerate. But last week bought the Citrical Citrate pettits. They are great.

Good luck. Hope you find something you can tolerate.

I had similar problems with chewables but not with pills so I don't have as much of this experience as you do. However, I know that Bariatric Advantage makes a multivitamin crystal that you mix into a drink, maybe that would help?

Sorry you're still having nausea with this. It's no fun, that part I know from experience with liquid pain meds.

I would get nausea when taking Vitamins before surgery and still sometimes do. I have been told it is the Iron in the Vitamin. I will take gummies some days but I was told not to because there is no iron in them. (Probably why I don't get nausea.) I was told Flintstones complete chewables are recommended. I don't know what child would like those but I grit and bare it. I bought some liquid Calcium (Wellese or something like that) that is thick and has orange flavor. Take three spoons a day. It is ok. I might get some of those caltrate petites for mid day at work. Agree that any vitamin is better than none but be sure you don't leave out calcium. I remember in my orientation he showed an X-ray of someone who didn't take calcium and she had brittle bones and fractures due to depletion. That is stuck in my mind of why it is important not to forget it. Also without iron people get anaemic ...also something that makes you think it is worth taking gritty Flintstones vrs. Gummies.

I was sleeved on the 16th and am taking the Bariatric Advantage chewables. I absolutley cannot stand the taste of the cherry multi-Vitamin. It is far too tart and makes me cough. But I paid for them so I will take them. This morning was my first time experiencing nausea which was after my carnation instant breakfast but I had combined in with my blood pressure med, baby aspirin, and another med. I have learned and will now space those out a bit.

They make me feel icky too! I take Celebrate Multi-Complete with Iron and it's a 3 times a day deal. It kind of makes my stomach sour, but it's bareable. Noticable, but bareable. I chew the Celebrate Calcium pills (cherry flavored, like sweet tarts, but nastier!). Taking Vitamin D via drops because I want to use them up, but switching to a pill you take once a day 1,000 units, from Trader Joes. We'll see how those go. My husband, who was sleeved this past November, takes a once a WEEK Vitamin D supplement that releases slowly...so I like the idea of once a week! Lots of supplements...not my favorite. But hey...for the results from surgery and how good I feel otherwise, totally worth it.