Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting sleeved next week in Dallas (Castro) and I'm really kind of scared that I am going to miss eating large portions of food. Is this normal ? I ended my food funeral tonight and start with my liquid Pre op diet tomorrow. What do you do when you just want the sensation of chewing food?

I'm getting sleeved next week in Dallas (Castro) and I'm really kind of scared that I am going to miss eating large portions of food. Is this normal ? I ended my food funeral tonight and start with my liquid Pre op diet tomorrow. What do you do when you just want the sensation of chewing food?

I'm getting sleeved on Oct 27 and I am totally feeling the same way like at buffets etc. I can put the food away and am wondering and hoping that I will not miss it. I would really like to not want the large portions! Looking forward to some honest answers! Good luck in your journey Phat Girl!

I am 7 weeks out and just recently started thinking about how I miss eating a normal size meal....I am happy I can't eat what I use to eat but do miss the normal amount of food...some days the planning of 5 to 6 mini meals gets frustrating ...hoping it gets easier

It is very rare that I miss food. I am so full, I have no desire to eat.

Eating in between meals is another story. They operate on our stomachs and not our brains. In the beginning, you can hardly eat and eating is a struggle. That's the time to make good habits that will last you past the honeymoon period.

Trust the surgery. When the hunger hormone is removed, it makes all the difference in the world.

There is an old saying around the WLS boards "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" It's true. My sleeve is the most wonderful tool and missing a little food is a small price to pay.

Hello, I am going to Dr Castro as well, I have heard wonderful things about him! I would love to know how you are doing afterwards, I cannot wait until it it my turn.....Not until December! :(

I have been alternating weekly to a liquid diet just so it wont be a shock to my body. I have found that if you can get past the head hunger liquids can give you a full satisfied feeling.

You can chew anything you want, but just don't swallow it. I did miss eating too, especially in the evening hours. I also was hungry the first couple of weeks, but now in week four a lot of the need to eat has abated. I find having a good dose of Protein first thing in the morning helps with that. This surgery is restrictive, so a couple of big bites changes your attitude pretty fast about a large amount of food. Good luck.

this is gonna sound so bad but i agree with smkeller. i love eating, although since the surgery i havent wanted to eat anything. however before the surgery i was on a diet for so long and there were times when the desire to eat got the best of me, but i didnt want to gain weight back that i had lost. there were many times when i would grab a bag of chips and a disposable cup. i would sit there and savor every chew of the chip. i would chew it up until it was just a mush, then i would spit it out into a cup. i would get the flavor of the food that i wanted, but i would not swallow it and absorb the calories. it also helped if i did this after i was already full on something that was healthy that way i wasnt tempted to swallow the food that was bad. i know this sounds soooooo bad but it helped me through some really tough times. its not like i was bulimic or anything because i didnt swallow it and throw it back up, and i was eating the good stuff for my diet. i hope i dont catch to much flack for it dry.gif

I can honestly say that I don't miss the big portions at all and now look at the volume of what I used to eat in amazement. I have always been a relatively healthy eater but I just ate way too much of everything and I was hungry all of the time. Now I am never hungry and I very satisfied with small quantities of food. My Achilles heel is mindless snacking. I love nuts and it is way to easy to eat 10 or 12 several times a day (calories!). I don't snack much at home but work is a land mine of danger zones so I have to be vigilant to keep from eating between meals and some days I am more successful than others.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery and I predict you are going to love your results! :D I mostly don't even think about it now...the way I eat feels completely normal and I go out to eat with people all of the time who don't know that I have had WLS surgery.

Rarely do I miss eating the amount I used to be able to. It's only been a couple of times since Memorial Day that those thoughts have crossed my mind. Coincidence it happened to be Memorial Day & 4th of July during our bbqs? LOL Nope.. not coincidence. Summer bbqs = fajitas & Shiner!! We had a lot of different goodies laid out for both bbqs and I did have a passing thought of "Damn.. I miss my stomach" but then I looked at the size of my rump compared to the size of a girlfriends rump who had unhinged her jaw (ala coneheads) and was inhaling it all... ya that got that thought right out of my mind. Our rumps used to be comparable in size pre-op.

In all honesty, I didn't have miss the desire to chew in the beginning. I was on clears for 5 days and full liquids for 2 weeks. That was really a drop in the bucket because at that point I still felt pretty tore up from the surgery. Once I hit purees, I was chewing. I also never did the chew & spit either. I was so terrified of doing something that'd ruin my stomach/staple line that it kept me pretty honest. Not to mention the constant reward of serious losing was all the positive praise I needed to keep on the straight & narrow. I was nervous about a lot of the same things too pre-op.

It really does get easier once you're on the other side of it. My only advice? Don't watch much tv for the first few months. When I was in the hospital doped up, I watched a Top Chef marathon without a problem but as soon as I got home? I was so angry and HIGHLY annoyed that just about every other commercial was a food commercial. It doesn't bother me so much now but in the beginning? I was about ready to throw things at the TV every time I saw a McDonalds, Whataburger, or ANY sort of food commercial. THAT was the hardest part for me just out of surgery. Good luck yall!

I too have chewed something and spit it out. Im never hungry but eat anyway because I have to. I have eaten bites of a cookie, an ice cream cone, a piece of chocolate, stuff like that. I dont eat but a bite or so then Im full anyway. I dont care I cant eat much. Eating at buffets and over eating at bbqs etc is what made me fat so Im glad I can only eat a bit at a time. food hasnt done anything good for me so Im glad I cant eat but a little.

Thank y'all so much for the ideas and encouragement. Today we had a womens luncheon at church and guess who had the pleasure of preparing all the food? Not cool at all! At first I was having a really hard time until I disconnected myself from the food and made it more of a task that just had to be completed. I did chew a piece of spinach quiche but I did spit it out. It was not a pretty picture. :) 4 days to a new me!

this is gonna sound so bad but i agree with smkeller. i love eating, although since the surgery i havent wanted to eat anything. however before the surgery i was on a diet for so long and there were times when the desire to eat got the best of me, but i didnt want to gain weight back that i had lost. there were many times when i would grab a bag of chips and a disposable cup. i would sit there and savor every chew of the chip. i would chew it up until it was just a mush, then i would spit it out into a cup. i would get the flavor of the food that i wanted, but i would not swallow it and absorb the calories. it also helped if i did this after i was already full on something that was healthy that way i wasnt tempted to swallow the food that was bad. i know this sounds soooooo bad but it helped me through some really tough times. its not like i was bulimic or anything because i didnt swallow it and throw it back up, and i was eating the good stuff for my diet. i hope i dont catch to much flack for it dry.gif

OMG! You are sooo funny! I never even thought about doing that! Seems GENIUS to me! LOL!

i know right! people probably think its so bad, but the enjoyment of food to me is the taste. i can get that from it being in my mouth, why does it need to be in my stomach. i dont recomend doing it in public though lmfao!!!!:lol:

I miss food and surprisingly I still miss being able to put away mass quantities of food. I used to be able to easily put away half a pizza, and get seconds and thirds on my favorite foods. I'd eat a full entree at a restaurant and still be hungry.

But, after I ate all of that, I'd feel like crap.

I have to remind myself why I put myself through a major surgery (and let's face it, this is a major surgery). I want to eat smaller portions and not feel deprived. I want to feel satisfaction from eating a healthy small diet.

The liquid diet isn't that awesome. I can't wait to be able to eat again. Once I get through this, I have a feeling things will be a lot better :)