Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, the food mourning is starting to kick in.

I'm not hungry but I must eat. I've been lightheaded, dizzy, and unable to stuff anything in my mouth lately. I used to LOVE steak, LOVE IT TO PIECES. Now I think it looks like, well, muscle on a plate. Gross. Desserts, something I used to freaking love, are a no go too. I am grateful to not desire and not overindulge in things but I really miss going on yelp, checking out new food spots, food and wine parings, and trying new cuisine.

I can't do that anymore. Its just pointless.

So I miss brunch with all you can drink Mimosas, I miss bread and butter, an entree and a creme' brulee because I'm treating myself.

I'll be over it.

What was anyone else's food mourning like?

I'm not hungry but I must eat. I've been lightheaded, dizzy, and unable to stuff anything in my mouth lately. I used to LOVE steak, LOVE IT TO PIECES. Now I think it looks like, well, muscle on a plate. Gross. Desserts, something I used to freaking love, are a no go too. I am grateful to not desire and not overindulge in things but I really miss going on yelp, checking out new food spots, food and wine parings, and trying new cuisine.

I can't do that anymore. Its just pointless.

So I miss brunch with all you can drink Mimosas, I miss bread and butter, an entree and a creme' brulee because I'm treating myself.

I'll be over it.

What was anyone else's food mourning like?

Hi,

I have been struggling with the same issues. At first so many things that I loved before (almond butter for one) made me want to gag. I had no taste for shakes, etc. It was as though all my senses were heightened but in a negative way, like when you have a fever and things just don't seem appealing.

Now at 8 months out, we go to a restaurant and I am the last one to order because nothing looks appealing. I don't want to gag like I did before, but I sit there and think, 'Okay what will go down easiest, and what will be a smaller quantity so I don't waste it." I think I am going to start ordering Soup or small salad, then just share whatever my husband orders.

So it kind of stinks, but I feel so much better in my body. I have not lost all my weight yet, but I go out of the house in a well-fitting pair of jeans and no longer feel self conscious of my big butt. I am able to exercise more easily and I went clothing shopping, put on some size 12s and looked darn good in them.

I read somewhere that people's appetites do sometimes come back. Ghrelin is produced in other parts of the body than the stomach, so maybe over time, production of the hormore will increase. One can only hope!

Although I haven't been sleeved yet- I went through something similar with my banding.... I got over it real quick by continuing those searches and preparing meals for friends and loved ones because I love to cook- Just because I cant eat it didnt mean I lost my zest for it.. Sometimes the smell would fill me up or sometimes a few sips of a broth or sauce etc would be enough to satisfy a "craving"... I look at meat the same way- I am a total carnivore but since my band have really only been able to eat chicken soaked in a sauce or mayo and hamburger meat.. So when/if I feel like pork or steak etc.. (this is going to be gross..) I eat it, chew it but don't swallow it- I just spit it out- That way I am getting the chewing and the flavor in my mouth but it isnt gertting stuck and I can somewhat enjoy it. As far as deserts go- I have re-arranged most all desserts to either be sugar free or less sugar or cooked with a sweetner alternative and they are just as good- sometimes almost too sweet- I NEVER ate sweets or icecream and now Ice cream or frozen yogurt is a staple in my house.. One of the bad habits I picked up from the band.. It will NOT be that way though when I dont have the band.... Don't know if this helps or not but good luck!

I am 4.5 months out. I am enjoying some foods that I avoided prior to surgery including broiled or steamed fish. For the most part I still like and eat the same foods I did prior to surgery including: hamburger, steak, roast beef, pork steak. I didn't like chicken all that much prior and I still don't. I like mexican food and still order enchiladas and or tacos. I eat the meat, cheese and fixins but leave the taco shells alone. I don't eat any rice, potatoes and bread. I order hamburgers without Buns. I eat quite a bit of cheese and cottage cheese. I like nuts but limit to one 100 calorie bag per day. I try to eat a few bites of vegetables and fruits at each meal, but only after I have eaten the Protein. I used to order a lot of salads with meat and still do, but now only eat the meat and fillings and just a tiny bit of the lettace.

What has really changed is that I have cut out all sweets and Snacks. Normally, I don't really miss them as I don't feel hunger and when I do eat I feel very full. The one food I do really miss is buttered popcorn. However, that was a trigger food for me along with potato chips and crackers so I don't think I will reintroduce them into my diet.

Hi,

Your surgery was the day before mine. I miss fruit, oatmeal, bread, and margaritas, roughly in that order. Also miss vegetables and Pasta. And I miss milk-I'm lactose intolerant since the operation and I don't like Lactaid milk. I've switched to Soy Milk. And I would like to order off the entree section too. Sometimes I rebel and I do order something and just eat what I can.

For the most part, I am OK with what I can eat now. I keep reminding myself that in a few months to a year, I will have room for a slice of bread or a salad with meals or I will be able to have a peach and get in all my Protein for the day.

By the way, great weight loss for what must be a lower BMI! I see your surgery weight was 210 and you have lost 38 lbs. Congrats!

Lynda