Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks out and a little frustrated

On my pre-op diet I lost 21 lbs. Then I was sleeved on July 21. During the first 2 weeks after surgery I lost about 15 lbs. But in the last 2 weeks I've only lost about 2-3 lbs. I'm really happy that I lost 38 lbs in the past 6 weeks...and I know it's going to take time. I've read lots of posts about stalls and can be patient.

Right now I'm eating every 3 hours and average around 800-900 calories/day. Today my surgeon told me that I wasn't eating enough calories and that my body is in starvation mode...and that I need to increase my calories in order to lose weight...and eventually (in a few months) I need to get up to 1600-1800 calories/day.

So my goal right now is to increase to 1200 calories..but honestly I don't know how I'm going to get these calories in. I don't want to start eating junk...and I don't really want to add bread, Pasta, carbs.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how to get in more HEALTHY calories?

Thanks!

I am in the boat, no loss for 8 days now. I am eating about 700 cals on a good day.

Just wanted to stop in and say that stalls this soon after surgery seem to be pretty normal. I lost 25 lbs. during pre-op. Then the first 2 weeks post op, I lost another 10 pounds. Then nothing for the next 3 or 4 weeks. And I mean NOTHING at all! I was so frustrated. I weighed almost every morning and there was NO movement at all. Then one day the scale started moving again. In one week's time, I'd lost another 10 pounds. Then it stalled out for a few days to a week. Then a couple of days ago, I dropped 5 more pounds within 2 days. This morning nothing again. It's just a slow process but it will happen. I blogged all about my experiences. I blogged when I was down and I told the whole world about it. Then I blogged again when things have been awesome and it was fun to share what was/is going on right now. But I'm sure, just as the staff at my surgeon's office said, this journey is like a flight of stairs. You'll drop down a step and then nothing...then another step or chunk of weight...then nothing.

Be encouraged! You're weight will come off and the stalls are perfectly normal....whether we like it or not. ;)

On my pre-op diet I lost 21 lbs. Then I was sleeved on July 21. During the first 2 weeks after surgery I lost about 15 lbs. But in the last 2 weeks I've only lost about 2-3 lbs. I'm really happy that I lost 38 lbs in the past 6 weeks...and I know it's going to take time. I've read lots of posts about stalls and can be patient.

Right now I'm eating every 3 hours and average around 800-900 calories/day. Today my surgeon told me that I wasn't eating enough calories and that my body is in starvation mode...and that I need to increase my calories in order to lose weight...and eventually (in a few months) I need to get up to 1600-1800 calories/day.

So my goal right now is to increase to 1200 calories..but honestly I don't know how I'm going to get these calories in. I don't want to start eating junk...and I don't really want to add bread, Pasta, carbs.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how to get in more HEALTHY calories?

Thanks!

Yes, I had what I later learned was what we call "Stalls" I went for 9 days with NO weight loss. Honestly I kept doing what I was doing and did a little more exercise and then it kicked in and I started to lose again. Experiment and see if adding some calories will help, but if not just keep doing what you do. I learned that Stalls are pretty normal.

Take care,

Suzanne

Thanks!

Hi!

Hang in there and work through it... make sure your calories, carbs, Fluid intake are in check... exercise and your body will catch up and show a loss. I have had my ups & downs and when I look back at monthly loss, I am o.k. with what I am seeing... you will be too...dont get discouraged, follow your doc's plan and it will happen!

Good Luck

Same thing happened to me. Don't get discouraged! I have hit stalls a couple of times and I am 3 months out. Eventually you start loosing again, sometimes more than you expect! I am down 55 pounds and I have learned to cope with the stalls and just let my body loose weight at its own pace. Good luck!

I hear you. The nut told me I wasn't eating enough calories too. I stalled for a whole week on the 3rd week post-op, since then I've started losing again and lost another 10 pounds since then. I didn't change a thing, it just happened.

I'm right on track according to my dr. but it does feel slow. I am far out enough that the nut told me to add nuts as a snack to get more calories. But you may not be far out enough yet. I don't know what to tell you other than keep trying to add a little bit at each meal. It's hard I know. But did you ever in your wildest dreams think you would have the problem of not eating ENOUGH?

I can't remember where I read this - I need to find it so I can explain it better, but stalls are very, very important when you drop weight like we do/will with the surgery (rapidly). The body needs a chance to catch up and 'balance' itself periodically before it resets and then starts to lose again. Your body is sort of panicking in stages. It will lose rapidly, think it's in trouble (survival mode/starvation mode), then hold on to everything it can for a while (homeostasis) and also retain Fluid. It's scared it is literally going to starve because it's used to such a large daily load of calories we used to eat, often for years. This is most common at about two -three weeks after surgery the first time. But then, after a while, it realizes that this is the new 'normal' and then it will adjust its metabolism and start to lose again. You'll lose for a while, then hit another stall while it adjusts itself again.

Just hang in there. Your body will adjust and start losing again. Just eat what's comfortable for you - I wouldn't try to pack in more calories if it's not what feels right to you. Have patience. You will see from everyone on here, that the numbers always continue to down, they just may level out for a while! Good luck!!

I lost 9 pounds on the pre-surg diet, then after surgery I lost a pound a day for the first week. In week number two I gained and lost the same pound over and over again. My doctor told me the most discouraging thing to do is to weigh yourself daily. It's difficult, but I stay off the scale until Sunday morning now. I lost 6 pounds in my third week. I've been told that our bodies will hit several plataues before we hit our goal weight and that it is very normal. If you are getting too discouraged, just keep doing what you're doing and visit your scale less often.

Wow 1200 calories? That seems like a lot. How much are you eating each meal? i was sleeved on june 23rd and eat about 3-4 oz and get in only like 800 calories. Stalls are normal, and i think im in one right now too :( but it will pass.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as well.. I'm just at 6 weeks out.. and I haven't lost a pound since week 4... I lost 17 lbs pre-op, and 33lbs in the first 4 weeks... putting me at 250lbs... and I've been sitting there for the last 2 weeks... I'm getting in all my Protein, liquids, Vitamins, walking regularly... and I haven't seen the scale move in 2 weeks... I'm eating between 600-800 calories, give or take... I'm hoping like everybody else that it'll just start happening again... we'll see.. it's frustrating.