Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told that with the removal of the lower potion of the stomach that the feeling of hunger should decrease since that was the portion that produces the hormones for hunger. My appetite is solid two weeks post op and makes me want to crave Snacks all day. What is experience and how do you cope with it.

I do get cravings, but I don't get hungry. If I smell or see something that looks tasty, I'll crave it but then it passes. I'm only 4 days out of surgery, but I hope that it doesn't change.

Hunger is a complicated feeling :/

I'm one of the sleevers you hear about that never lose their hunger feeling. Whether it's to do with other hunger hormones, or the fact that ghrelin is still produced in the intenstines, I don't know! But it's frustrating!

Anyway, I try and work WITH the hunger by having six little meals throughout the day. Always eat your Protein first, this seems to make my hunger go away quicker. Drink as much Water as you are able, half an hour before and after meals.

It's also important to work out whether you are feeling head hunger or stomach hunger. Sometimes I can distract myself from head hunger with exercise or a hobby. Sometimes! :P

Good luck!

As you diet changes back to normal foods you hunger might decrease alot more. Bide your time untill you make back to regular foods. Remember liquids and pureed foods will ease through you sleeve faster than whole foods will... Good luck...!

I'm about 3 1/2 weeks out and I find that I have more head hunger than actual hunger. I crave certain things, but I have not given in to any of the cravings. Distracting yourself until the craving passes which is only a couple of minutes. I tried one method that someone mentioned somewhere on this forum, I tried on smaller clothes to see what now fits, etc. A good portion of my size down clothing is starting to fit. Yay!

Today is my 3 weeks post op.... and i think i am just working thru head hunger and new habits that I am creating... the old ones are hard to break.. but the sleeve certainly makes it easier.. For me my challenge is keeping my menu changing and creative.. the portions i am learning to be okay with ... but i hear you.. about being hungry.. etc...

:rolleyes:

I am one of the unlucky ones that have never lost the hunger issue. I never had "head hunger" and didn't eat just to eat, I was always hungry. My stomach growls all the time!!

It is a lot better since switching from Nexium to Prilosec, but I still am hungry.

Hope yours gets better!

Kelly :D

I do not have hunger, but I do have cravings. I have read that with some the hunger takes time to go away because of the excess of the hormone left in your system from your old stomach. With the cravings I guess its just a matter of fighting through the cravings and moving on.

I have heard many, many times that acid is mistaken for hunger, especially after the surgery. Check out this video by Dr. Alvares, a highly respected bariatric surgeon.

Are you taking your acid reducers? Did you get a prescription for one?? I have also read that people who started taking their acid reducers after surgery reported that what they thought was hunger went away. As an earlier poster said, hunger is a very complicated feeling. Head hunger, physical hunger, emotional hunger, acid, this list goes on. And if any of us knew exactly what normal hunger felt like, we probably wouldn't have needed the surgery, so we're often even more confused through this journey!! That's my biggest fear, that I won't be able to recognize, or control that hungry, wanting feeling, even after the surgery. Good luck and keep us posted!!