Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

meh - a little over 9 months out and I've gained my first 5 pounds. Totally my fault and no one to blame but me.

up until now I had lost a little more than 60 pounds. I refuse to backtrack.

I never got a full "honeymoon" period, as you so commonly hear. I healed fast and felt normal quickly, and I am able to eat anything I want to. I think I will experience these "firsts" faster than some. But it keeps me honest. I don't have a lot of time to develop long-standing expectations (going a long time without gaining weight) so I think in some way, this is good. Wake up call came earlier in the game rather than later. I must meet the challenge and overcome.

We all knew this was not a magical fix, but a tool. I've gotta treat it that way! :)

I am 10.5 months post-surgery and haven't lost anything in the past 4 months. I have really stepped up my exercise in the past month- I am walking at least 3 miles every day- and still the scale has not moved. I feel good and seem to still be losing inches but technically I am still obese. I am not willing to be more restrictive with my eating- I am making 80-90% good choices and treats are occasional and small- I had the surgery so that I could be a normal weight without having to always be on a super restrictive diet because of the smaller portions. Turns out my metabolism is so bad that the smaller portions aren't enough to get me to my goal. I am super demoralized. My doc's advice was to never eat to the point of feeling full. That requires way more willpower than I have!

Have you ever considered the other part of the surgery? The sleeve is the first of a 2 part surgery. The DS is the second part. Some people need some malabsorption.

i'm out almost 7 months and i am stuck at my current weight for nearly 2 months now. it fluctuates between 198 and 202...WEEKLY. lol. much better than the nearly 250 lbs i was stuck with a year ago.

i'm not going to panic for another 2 months. all of my wls gals that i know personally had 2-4 month stalls before regaining normal weight loss for them again.

Hi, I was sleeved in Israel in August 2009 and lost 49 kilos or 107.80lbs (7 stone 7 pounds) in the first year, the first 5 stone fell off me, then I had to diet like crazy to get the other 2 and a half stone off but now I'm just putting on weight rapidly. The dietician at the time did tell me strictly, never ever ever eat more than half a cup of food, ever! but did I listen, no! typical rebellious me, I stuffed and have now stretched my stomach and can eat huge portions again, and i'm eating little and very often, can't diet, can't seem to go back to small portions, complete mess, and now what do I do? Thinking of doing hypnotic banding, anyone tried it? I saw an article in the paper today a women lost loads of weight doing it, but that could just be advertising, don't want to waste money if it doesn't work.. I continually crave carbs, bad food, as before the op, and if I do get through one whole day of eating healthily I ruin it by the next afternoon. Now considering going back to do a revision op, but scared of the outcome, bursting the stomache etc....

Any advise?

Emma[/quote

Do the 5 day pouch test and restart the diet just like from the beginning. Google the pouch test it will tell you how to do it. You have done this before and can get back on track.

Lexiema...i often find myself gourging but i think the differences are: i gourge on LOW or NO carbs...and 2. I do exercise regularly. I do NOT believe the stretched stomach because i have felt restrictions too after gorging.

Advice? Easy...put ALL carbs in garbage dispoal. Eat only what remains. Don't drink and eat and do drink at every opportunity liquids with NO CALORIES. my cardio said he dont care if i bounce from 188 to 200. I am mostly at 194. Good luck

I was 2 years post op at the end of April. I go up and down 5 lbs depending on if I am going out to a lot of social gatherings where there are Desserts that i can't resist. Sweets are my downfall. I keep them out of the house.

For the most part, it's easy to stay at goal.

It's nice to hear that basically you're able to stay close to goal after two years. I'm just almost 6 weeks out and I've lost 27 pounds. I'm just having a little trouble not being hungry. Just seems like I eat and I'm hungry two hours later. Any suggestions?

It's nice to hear that basically you're able to stay close to goal after two years. I'm just almost 6 weeks out and I've lost 27 pounds. I'm just having a little trouble not being hungry. Just seems like I eat and I'm hungry two hours later. Any suggestions?

I have the same issue, and was told by my surgeon that every person is different. I think we are still producing moderate amounts of rheglin and that's contributing to the hungry feelings of course.

Eat as often as you are hungry but the trick is to eat as healthy as you can.

Also if you haven't remained on your Protein Shakes please go back to them. The shakes in the morning hemp regulate metabolism and keep you fullest longer. I noticed that when I start off the day with regular Breakfast foods which are high in sugar... Like sausage, eggs and say a waffle, I'm up and down with hunger. Whenever I start with Protein shakes I feel way more in control of myself and feel less cravings as the day goes on.

Edited by mrsbailey921

At your stage, that is normal. Don't worry.

Just before my surgery I cleaned all the carbs out of my house. No junk food. I do buy almonds for my husband to have for a snack. Its easy to not eat those things if they are not around calling my name. chicken salad with minimal low fat mayo is my go to most of the time.

Lexiema...i often find myself gourging but i think the differences are: i gourge on LOW or NO carbs...and 2. I do exercise regularly. I do NOT believe the stretched stomach because i have felt restrictions too after gorging.
Advice? Easy...put ALL carbs in garbage dispoal. Eat only what remains. Don't drink and eat and do drink at every opportunity lIquids with NO CALORIES. my cardio said he dont care if i bounce from 188 to 200. I am mostly at 194. Good luck

I'm almost 18 months out and I eat when I'm hungry...every 2-3 hours. Always have, probably always will. I just eat healthy and don't overeat. The problems arise when I go 4+ hours without eating then I'm STARVED and I tend to eat crap and too much of it. So my advice...if you're hungry, eat.

I absolutely hate this thread (in concept/theory) because reading it almost made me cancel my sleeve surgery. So I like to pop in from time to time with updates.

Weight gained since sleeve surgery: NONE

Weight lost since sleeve surgery: 155 pounds

Time since surgery: 22 months (IE It's staying off)

Inches lost from my stomach: 26 inches LOST

It's possible. Hang in there and don't let some be a deterrent. If you are wiling to do just not the physical work (which to me was the easy part) but also the emotional work (much harder) you will be successful!