Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gained Since Having Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Sleeve for me...did u do any exercises? Add that to the regimine. It makes the lbs drop faster.

Hi all! It has been quite a while since I've posted. I'll give a quick recap of where I've been and where I am now.

2010-Highest weight was 282

Oct/9/2010- Sleeve in Mexicalli by Aceves

6/14/2013- LBL/BL/Arm lift in New Jersey by Dr Cappella (141 lbs)

11/13 Separated from my husband

1/14 - Lowest weight reached 123 lbs

Current 150 lbs

So my original goal was 155, I went below that with ease but I was quite active then. I got down to 141 and had 7lbs of excess skin removed and as a result of the surgery and being more active lost even more. Now my work has slowed as has my activity and I'm up to 150. My goal weight, where I felt the best is at 135 so I have 15 to get off. I am currently a size 6/7 and have a little bit of a booty (not a bad thing) but I cannot fit into all the clothes I want and also want to keep my results of my plastics looking good so I've got to get it off. I'm on day two of low carb, it always falls right back off after I buckle down. I'm still having great restriction when I stick to low carb and no sugary drinks.

My downfalls are carbs, sweets, alcohol, not weighing every day and sitting on my butt.

So almost 5 years out and it is still the best thing I've ever done. I'm down 132lbs...wow! My life is amazing (other than love life but I don't care about that..... today at least :)

It's great to see some old folks on here! Btw my ex had the VSG also on 3/14 and is down 100lbs. He feels so much better and is in love again (we are still best friends).

I've found that the last couple of relationships I've been in, I don't even mention that I've had the VSG, they don't ask since they have only known me as a regular sized person. What about y'all?

I don't know if I am going to tell the current guy I am seeing, but I probably will eventually. I find it almost impossible not to eventually tell, because I eat so strangely. Guys do not like it when they take you out to dinner at a fancy restaurant and you're full after the salad comes. The main course is on the way and there is no way in hell there is room for it.

I have to lose weight. That's all there is to it. I have way too many clothes I can't wear. I will be happy if I can take 10 off. 5:2 worked so well for me before, but I can't seem to do low calorie two days a week. I did it before, but life just gets in the way and I have no willpower. I see everyone else eating something I am not supposed to have, and it's really hard to watch everyone else eat.

I'm in my 4th week and I've been noticing that my weight loss went from 2 lbs a day to 2 lbs a week. Is this normal?

Yes.

I definately am an emotional eater. It is so clear to me now. Over the last year I gained 18 pounds. (!!!), three of them in the last two weeks (eating vacation... I swear, three pastery shops a day!) I feel like I finally really feel like I have had enough to eat... three days ago I started back with the whole list of dos: Protein first, enough Water, and semi fasting two days a week (5:2) and I have lost the 3 1/2 pounds from vacation already. I hope to get back to my goal/bounce range someday. I am tired of wearing my fat pants and missing my skinny jeans in the closet! We can do it ladies... one day at a time. I know the fast days can be hard... I find if I write everything down that I will eat after work... including something sweet... and I can look forward to that, I find its easier to stay on track the first part of the day. I also use 100 cals on a Protein Drink in my thai tea in the AM, that helps too.

You're right Kim. My problem is I don't want to cook for just me. So I end up drinking Protein Drinks that don't fill me up anymore, and then grazing.

I do better eating out, and then I have food in boxes for another couple of meals.

I am 10.5 months post-surgery and haven't lost anything in the past 4 months. I have really stepped up my exercise in the past month- I am walking at least 3 miles every day- and still the scale has not moved. I feel good and seem to still be losing inches but technically I am still obese. I am not willing to be more restrictive with my eating- I am making 80-90% good choices and treats are occasional and small- I had the surgery so that I could be a normal weight without having to always be on a super restrictive diet because of the smaller portions. Turns out my metabolism is so bad that the smaller portions aren't enough to get me to my goal. I am super demoralized. My doc's advice was to never eat to the point of feeling full. That requires way more willpower than I have!

Edited by tiredmama

I am 10.5 months post-surgery and haven't lost anything in the past 4 months. I have really stepped up my exercise in the past month- I am walking at least 3 miles every day- and still the scale has not moved. I feel good and seem to still be losing inches but technically I am still obese. I am not willing to be more restrictive with my eating- I am making 80-90% good choices and treats are occasional and small- I had the surgery so that I could be a normal weight without having to always be on a super restrictive diet because of the smaller portions. Turns out my metabolism is so bad that the smaller portions aren't enough to get me to my goal. I am super demoralized. My doc's advice was to never eat to the point of feeling full. That requires way more willpower than I have!

How much weight have you lost post-op?

I understand you want to get to goal by just trying to eat smaller meals, but as your body changes, so will your body in how it metabolizes food. If you haven't lost anything in 4 months then you will need to find something different in your regimine. If you are unwilling to be more restrictive in your eating, then you will need to step up more exercise- particularly in the cardio area so you are burning more calories. Bottomline, you will need to change one or more things in your routine that will get you back on the losing path.

I am about 2 and a half years out and just had my first gain. Like many, I lost under goal to have a bounce range and stayed within that range for over a year so gaining felt like a shock. Technically I am only 2 lbs over goal but I am 7 lbs away from my lowest and now have a few outfits that are too tight to wear. I am currently trying to lose at least 4 lbs to be back in my "range" but the scale doesn't seem to want to move. I am trying to focus more on Protein and keep my hands out of the candy dishes on everyone's desk at work.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new and will be having surgery 06/24. I just finished this whole thread, whew! I have been hanging out in the veteran forum too because I want to have real expectations. I have always thought losing weight was a head game or I should say for the last 10 or so years. And boy it is and as I have found out by reading this forum it still is even after surgery.

The stories have not discouraged me at all. I am a bit scared but if it can help me lose some weight then I am ready. All of you who are fighting every day to stay in the fight all I can say is I really hope I have the will and determination that you all have!!! I want to be like you when I get to where you are on the journey.

All of you that are hanging in there day after day after day are so inspiring and I want to thank each one of you for sharing your stories with us!!! It gives us a much better idea of what to expect after the surgery. So thank you and I wish each of you luck and success on your journey.

Hi Licia,

Good luck with the surgery! I just had mine a few days ago.

The first couple of days we'll be tough, but it get's better. The day after surgery, I said little other than "I should've just stayed fat." But now I'm getting ready to get back to work.

My best advice is to make sure you have a good support network in the hospital, and especially when you come home. For a few days I felt like an nvolate, and having family around to help out made everything better.

Good luck!

Hi Everyone,
I'm new and will be having surgery 06/24. I just finished this whole thread, whew! I have been hanging out in the veteran forum too because I want to have real expectations. I have always thought losing weight was a head game or I should say for the last 10 or so years. And boy it is and as I have found out by reading this forum it still is even after surgery.

The stories have not discouraged me at all. I am a bit scared but if it can help me lose some weight then I am ready. All of you who are fighting every day to stay in the fight all I can say is I really hope I have the will and determination that you all have!!! I want to be like you when I get to where you are on the journey.

All of you that are hanging in there day after day after day are so inspiring and I want to thank each one of you for sharing your stories with us!!! It gives us a much better idea of what to expect after the surgery. So thank you and I wish each of you luck and success on your journey.

@@Lawyer - Thank you for the advice! I will have my sister with me the day of and the day after surgery then she has to go back to work but I am hoping the worst is over by then. <smile>

I wish you luck as well.

Edited by Licia'sjourney