Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone my name is Leeda, Im 24, living in Orlando.

Im on my way to getting sleeved god willing before the end of the year. I've done 6 months of weight loss visits with my doctor, I've lost 20 lbs so far, Im 240 now, and I can not wait to get the surgery. I was originally interested in lap band but after I visited with the doctor he recommended the sleeve and Im sold.

Im jumping through the insurance hoops as far as getting the psych and nutrition eval. Im concerned bc when I visited the surgeon their pre determination office said I needed 6 months consecutive of going every month, but when I was going to the doctor some visits she said only come back in 6 weeks. So in 6 months I've had about 4 visits. I've called the insurance company and they say I should be fine with just those visits, but I guess Im hoping for the best planning for the worst. I might have to start my 6 months all over again who knows.

Im so glad to meet everyone on here and read the stories because they are so inspirational, everyone keep up the good work =)

I dont think youll have any problems, good luck on your journey!

Thank you, you too =)

Welcome to VST! I'm sure you'll find a lot of great information here.

Welcome to VST! I'm sure you'll find a lot of great information here.

I know, I have already found so much information. I see you just got yours done in June, how is it? I bet you were super excited/nervous when you went to have it done. Well good luck with your journey, I know it will be a wonderful one !

I've been very fortunate. Other than the typical hurdles of the first month, I have been doing well. I think my rate of loss is about average. My downfalls are not quite hitting my Water every day and exercise. But we can't change all our old bad habits overnight. I just started drinking propel zero which is helping me get more water down, and this weekend I start a yoga class. Baby steps...! I wish you the best!!

I've been very fortunate. Other than the typical hurdles of the first month, I have been doing well. I think my rate of loss is about average. My downfalls are not quite hitting my Water every day and exercise. But we can't change all our old bad habits overnight. I just started drinking propel zero which is helping me get more Water down, and this weekend I start a yoga class. Baby steps...! I wish you the best!!

Thats so good =) What kind of hurdles are normal in the first month? Im a little clueless I have read a little about gas and what not. How much water are the doctors asking you to drink? A lot of people say its hard to drink after the surgery, were you a big h2o drinker before the surgery? Sorry, Im just curious =)

I had diarrhea for about 3 weeks straight. (this is pretty normal--liquids in, liquids out) It will get better as you transition to solids.

I had this painful lump in my throat when I tried to swallow. It was worse with Water. I didn't get anywhere near 64 oz the first 2 to 3 weeks...which is bad...I was very fatigued and nearly dehydrated. I was drinking about 16 oz a day...not enough! I just couldn't force it down...but I should have tried harder. My sleeve was so swollen it literally wouldn't fit. The trick (I learned later) is to take tiny sips ALL DAY LONG. I probably drank this amount before surgery. And again, time just fixed this problem...magically at about day 21 I could get more Water in at a time, I gulped all day and night for a day and a half and avoided going to the hospital!

I had the terrilbe shoulder pain from gas...and I know this sounds repetetive, but it's true...nothing really helped that, it just went away by itself in about 3 weeks. That's what I mean by typical...time heals all wounds...literally!

welcome to the greatest wealth of knowledge about the sleeve! i love this place. the insurance is the one that counts and if they say ok the surgeon is on board no problem. i just got sleeved 3 days ago so im knew to it. the main problems i have been having is swallowing as well. it feels like a brick going down and i can only drink about 1/8th of a cup of anything before i am to full to continue and i have to wait about 40 minutes to attempt to drink anything again due to stomach pains. everyone i talk to sy the same thing that it will get better. even with the problems i love it already due to the hunger being totally gone. i dont even think about food right now. totally happy. i have already lost more than 3 pounds since the surgery! totally cant wait for real loss.

welcome to the club and i hope you get your surgery date sooner rather then later. it will be the best decision of your life.

Hey just wanted to update I finally got my surgery approved after 1 year of going back and forth with the insurance company. Im waiting on a call back from the doctor to schedule and see what time would be best for me. Im wondering I can just get it done during spring break from school or if I would need more time to recover. Either way Im getting it done and Im so excited and happy. Thanks for all the support !