Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it ok to try to get pregnant at 4 months out?

One of the main reasons I had this done was because I couldn't get pregnant when I was heavier. I had wacky periods, sometimes they lasted for 6 months straight, sometimes they were gone for 3 months. They were always very heavy. And even with medication for my gyn, I wasn't ovulating. Since surgery, I have had perfectly regular periods, and I've never in my life had that!!! I haven't had any kind of problems with my sleeve. I've never thrown up, and I make sure I don't over fill up. I would be happy enough to start having children, even if my weight loss slowed down a bit because of it. I am more than halfway to goal now and I realize that I'm not going to get to goal in 3 months. I would be happy with 2 years. Just so long as I got there. What do you guys think?

Um I think it would be best for your health and the health of your child to wait at least a year. You have to make sure you can get the optimal nutrients to your baby and for your own sake as well because the baby will drain everything from you, I also did the surgery for this purpose but it is best to wait it out a bit for your sake and the sake of your child. You were only sleeved in April. I know it's hard to wait but it's worth the wait to see your beautiful HEALTHY baby in your arms that you can kiss and hug....*sigh* I can't wait for that day either!!!!!:D

I understand you are anxious, but the first 6 to 8 months are the most critical for you to reach your goal. Most who are out 12 months or better talk about how much more difficult it is to loose the weight. And, if you get pregnant you will need to gain weight for the sake of the baby. Personally, I would be afraid of not ever getting to goal getting pregnant this soon- particularly with only being halfway to your goal. That's just my opinion. You should PM Tiffkins on this as she is now pregnant, but I'm pretty sure she waited not only until after she reached goal but for a period of time after that. She is an excellent source of information on this site.

When I had my son, I was a little heavier than you are now. My weight at that point was a serious concern on my pregnancy. While I was able to get pregnant, it was very hard on the pregnancy. For your health and that precious little baby, wait a little while longer.

From a medical standpoint, your body is going through so much right now, and that is why it is recommended to wait until your weight is stabilized. You won't be able to stay in ketosis since it causes fetal brain damage, your hormones are raging and causing a hormone dump of estrogen into your system which can cause issues in your pregnancy.

As for being able to have a healthy pregnancy, it is possible, however it is NOT recommended for many reasons.. You are still considered obese, the risk for gestational diabetes is quadrupled, the risks of miscarriages are tripled, the risks of other fetal complications are doubled. Your body, and your baby deserve the very best environment for growth and development. I have seen far too many early miscarriages from women on obesityhelp who get pregnant while in the losing phase. I'm not saying it's not a natural occurrence, but why risk it with your body already going through so much. First pregnancies are extremely difficult, and you'll be adding risk factors while being obese. If you were have a loss, are you prepared to deal with that, and the emotional turmoil that comes with those events. I had 2 chemical pregnancies during our 14 months of TTC. I was devastated each time, and felt so extremely guilty. Those emotions, and situations took a major toll on my marriage. I was 8 months out when cleared for TTC. I was below goal, my labs had remained stellar, and I felt fabulous. We were also facing a looming deployment, I was 33 years old, I have other health issues that throw me into high risk, so my surgeons agreed that we could try, but they prepared me the possibility that I might not get pregnant, or have difficulties conceiving because of all the factors.

While I understand, and completely empathize with your desire to conceive, I refused to get pregnant as an obese woman. I was over 200lbs with my 13yr old son, and I was miserable. I delivered him at about 240lbs, was induced, had a horrific c-section, and overall, I hated being pregnant while fat.

I can tell you that you would probably continue to lose weight through the pregnancy because of your starting weight. The baby will pull from you what it needs. The amount of Water and food required for me in this pregnancy is difficult to fit in, and I'm over 2 years out.

Throw your concern about getting to goal out the window. The most important factor to consider before getting pregnant is; Can I give that developing human the very best environment for growth and development while NOT compromising my own health?

I can tell you that even being a small, petite woman during pregnancy after VSG is NOT easy. I struggle a lot to meet food intake requirements some days. The physical changes, hormone rages are horrific. I never, seriously never had head hunger before surgery like I have now. I've gained a solid 20lbs, my body aches, my cravings are absurd, and it's a mental battle that I have shared on a couple of times. Physically, myself and Tatum are doing fabulous. This weekend Tatum has moved up into my abdominal cavity, pushing everything up into my stomach region. I have puked up nearly every single thing I put in my body, not because I'm nauseated, not because I'm sick, but because of her positioning, my stomach literally can not accept food. Even the softest of foods have come up, it's not a wrenching puking, it's more like a regurgitation of what I have eaten. It's not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination. She is breech at this point, and I have done every yoga stretch, move, every position to get her to move just a little and nothing has worked. All I've been able to get down is bready type foods, Gummy Snacks, chewy granola bars, and Peanut Butter. Life has not been pleasant this weekend, and it's simply because of how my stomach is shaped now, and how Tatum is laying right now.

I wanted pregnancy more than anything in the world. It was the biggest driving force to me choosing WLS from the beginning. BUT, more than my selfish desire to have another child, I wanted my pregnancy to be healthy, and for me to be able to provide the best outcome possible for my body and the baby. For me, and I'm not saying this is for every woman out there, this is my conviction, I find it utterly self-centered and beyond harmful to conceive children while obese. I just refused to put my body, or a baby through a pregnancy while obese. I know that sounds harsh, but it's how I really feel about it.

You guys are so right. I've been having little battles in my head of what I want and what I need. Not to mention my husband, who is 33, mentions it often and gets upset about the thought of being old and never having children, or being old and then having children. Part of his issue is that both of his parents passed away recently, he was only about 30 at the time and freaks out to think he'll only live til 60. I am about to turn 30, so I know I have plenty of time. I think the number is just getting to me. I am also determined to make my 30s better than my 20s. I am not mentally prepared to possibly have a misscarriage. We would be devastated. And I was unaware about the ketosis and fetal brain damage. I have decided I will wait. I will talk with my husband about this later. Thanks everyone for your input! While I am super bummed, I have learned alot from what you said. I don't want to do any harm, as all I could wish for would be a healthy baby.

It only seems like a long time because you want it so bad. The next year will go by quicker than you think and you will only be 31 - very young - and you will be more prepared for the journey to being a mom. Above and beyond the health issues, you have to also be prepared for a few months worth of sleepless nights - you definitely need your energy for that :-)

Try and stick to one major life change at a time...

Good luck

Speaking from my experience.......please please wait until the year and a half. I was pregnant immediately after my wls. Although i gave birth to a completely healthy baby girl, there were alot of complications and concerns. I wz hospitalized 3 times during the pregnancy for dehydration n malnutrition. The baby wz taking everything frm me and i couldnt keep any food or liquids down. The baby wz constantly being monitored via monthly sonograms.