Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could use some encouragement

Hi everyone. My name is Rebecca and I had my sleeve surgery on 08/09/11. I really had a meltdown today because the gas pain is killing me! I've tried Protein shakes but it increases my gas pain terribly so I went back to Isopure Protein Water and plain Water. I don't mind not having food but I'm so sick of not being able to sleep for a full 8 hours and having to sip every two seconds and then having gas pain on top of that! I had a pretty bad hernia that the doctor had to repair too and so I'm sure I'm pretty swollen, but, what I'm doing now doesn't feel like living much either. I'm so frustrated! I'm not in a great place right now. I know everyone heals differently, but, is there an average length of days until a person feels normal or will I have gas pain for the rest of my life?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope you feel better sweetie I too had gas pain up in my shoulder pain for a while remember this is only temporary and you will feel better at about 2 weeks out. Just keep your eye on the prize sending good vibes, healing thoughts and hugs your way. You can do this!

You will pull through this! I had my surgery on 7/11/2011 and there have been many ups and downs so far. The first 2 weeks were hard for me. I could cry at the littlest thing or nothing at all! Just try to move and stay hydrated! In a couple weeks when you look back you will be able to see how far you have come. It's hard to see day by day the progress.

I hope you are feeling better soon! Hugs to you!

Lynn

Oh thank you so much for your kindness! I am so frustrated and it's so nice to know that I'm not alone. I'm in agony and usually when I'm feeling down I would get up and do things or, more often than not, eat. Now I can't do either and the days just seem to drag on with no end in sight! UGgghhh... I don't know how I'm ever going to get through this!

My surgery was the day before you. I don't think I have had any real surgical gas pain but I have felt gassy from the Protein. My NUT guidelines are that if we have gas with protein make it with Water or soy milk as apparently there can be some lactose intolerance early out. I spend my whole day sipping as well, going to bed almost as soon as I have my 64 oz in. I can tell it is getting easier to drink but I still easily tired and my belly is tender. I just try to come here and read the threads of others and see when things got better. Hang in there!

Thanks! It's nice to know that I've got company who can understand where I'm at.

My surgery was the day before you. I don't think I have had any real surgical gas pain but I have felt gassy from the Protein. My NUT guidelines are that if we have gas with Protein make it with Water or soy milk as apparently there can be some lactose intolerance early out. I spend my whole day sipping as well, going to bed almost as soon as I have my 64 oz in. I can tell it is getting easier to drink but I still easily tired and my belly is tender. I just try to come here and read the threads of others and see when things got better. Hang in there!

It will get better. As far as the gas pains go - movement really is the best medicine for that. When I started to get the pain in the left shoulder from the gas, I started doing arm exercises - rotating it, moving it above my head, across my body, up and down, etc. That really helped. As far as gas pain lower, walking is what helped me. Some say that the gas-x strips help - but usually only if the gas is in the stomach/intestines - it won't help for the gas pains from the gas they pumped into you as that is outside of your organs.

The first 2 days for me were the worst. On day 3 of post op, I was able to start full liquids and pureed foods. As soon as I was able to eat something pureed, it was THE thing that helped me the most - I immediately started feeling better. However, I'm one of the lucky ones that was able to get back to normal really quickly afterwards.

I did have a hard time sleeping through the night. I took a single pill that my surgeon had prescribed for nausea - I wasn't nauseated, but I took one and was able to sleep the whole night through. The next day I had a headache (which is a side effect of that particular medication) and told myself that I would not take another. I have not taken another, and I have been able to sleep well since. Perhaps that might help you sleep at night.

I hope you get feeling better sooner rather than later. But it will happen.

Hi everyone. My name is Rebecca and I had my sleeve surgery on 08/09/11. I really had a meltdown today because the gas pain is killing me! I've tried Protein shakes but it increases my gas pain terribly so I went back to Isopure Protein Water and plain Water. I don't mind not having food but I'm so sick of not being able to sleep for a full 8 hours and having to sip every two seconds and then having gas pain on top of that! I had a pretty bad hernia that the doctor had to repair too and so I'm sure I'm pretty swollen, but, what I'm doing now doesn't feel like living much either. I'm so frustrated! I'm not in a great place right now. I know everyone heals differently, but, is there an average length of days until a person feels normal or will I have gas pain for the rest of my life?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rebecca, like you said everyone heals differently, but i don't know if this will help you, just remember that this too shall pass. It's not going to last forever. . try drinking water liquids, like sweetened hot tea or chicken Soup broth. . this may help

Thank you for your reply. Sigh.... I just don't know how I'll get through this, but it certainly helps to have support. I've decided that as I progress through my journey I'm going to try to help others in their first days because, from my experience, they are HORRIBLE!!!!

It will get better. As far as the gas pains go - movement really is the best medicine for that. When I started to get the pain in the left shoulder from the gas, I started doing arm exercises - rotating it, moving it above my head, across my body, up and down, etc. That really helped. As far as gas pain lower, walking is what helped me. Some say that the gas-x strips help - but usually only if the gas is in the stomach/intestines - it won't help for the gas pains from the gas they pumped into you as that is outside of your organs.

The first 2 days for me were the worst. On day 3 of post op, I was able to start full liquids and pureed foods. As soon as I was able to eat something pureed, it was THE thing that helped me the most - I immediately started feeling better. However, I'm one of the lucky ones that was able to get back to normal really quickly afterwards.

I did have a hard time sleeping through the night. I took a single pill that my surgeon had prescribed for nausea - I wasn't nauseated, but I took one and was able to sleep the whole night through. The next day I had a headache (which is a side effect of that particular medication) and told myself that I would not take another. I have not taken another, and I have been able to sleep well since. Perhaps that might help you sleep at night.

I hope you get feeling better sooner rather than later. But it will happen.

Activity helps the gas. My doc says spending abt 15 min walking every hr on the hr will help that process. Also, you might have some Constipation issues from surgery, for which taking some stool softener would help--like Metamucil, or increase Fiber. I don't use cow's milk at all, I drink unsweetened Almond milk or soy milk. If you take extra Iron, that will bind you terribly. Best to drink your 64 ounces each day. I would definitely limit dairy and cheeses as those things constipate and cause gas, too. It gets better, I promise! Hang in there! :D

Hi,

I agree with what the others have said. For me, walking helped the gas. It didn't eliminate it, but it did help. And I was lactose intolerant. I switched to soy milk and for the first couple of weeks I used the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken flavored Protein that can be mixed with Water. I didn't poop for the first three days, and on the fourth day, I had diarrhea, which then lasted till about two weeks out.

The first two weeks are the hardest. I'm thinking about you!

Lynda

You are all such a blessing! Thank you so very much! I'm so grateful that I found this website. I thought I was prepared for sleeve surgery, but, now that I'm post-op I see that there were things that I didn't anticipate and now, of course, it's too late to change course. I'm sure that eventually I'll be happy with my decision ... but, right now.... I'm not so sure.:(

I know the first days just creep by so slowly, but I am coming up on my 8th month, and honestly, it feels like I had the surgery about a month ago... the months will FLY by. Just keep walking, sipping and getting in as much Protein as you can.... avoid milk for a while and see if that helps.

Something I found helpful was HOT SHOWERS!!!!! Let the Water pour down ur back. It helped a lot also made me feel normal again. I hope this helps... Good luck and it does get better!!

We were sleeved the same day and I was beyond miserable until Friday too. I really took feeling well for granted. You WILL feel good again soon. I do and the weight is coming off quickly and it will be sooooo worth it!