Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on 7/29. I am down 42 lbs. (pre-op diet included) So I am 2 weeks in and still have extreme fatigue to the point of barely being able to stay awake at work. Is this normal?

I was sleeved 7/29 also, but I haven't lost that much weight. I actually have more energy, but I don't have to work (retired), so I can't say what that would be like. Let your PCP know. You may have to include some glucose in your diet, or more carbs for awhile. There are many more here that are more expert than I. Good luck.

I was sleeved on 7/29. I am down 42 lbs. (pre-op diet included) So I am 2 weeks in and still have extreme fatigue to the point of barely being able to stay awake at work. Is this normal?

I talked to my NUT yesterday about this. She said I needed to get more carbs in my diet by way of fruits and cooked veggies. Since you are two weeks out and probably in the mushy phase, try eating yogurt and blending cooked carrots into whatever you are mushing up.

You are probably carb deprived; I went through this exact same thing, and my nutritionist gave me the same advice -- make sure to eat more (healthy) carbs with your meals.

Everyone around here is so rabidly anti-carb that it's easy to forget, but carbohydrates are a necessary part of your diet. Just make sure to eat healthy, complex carbs (fruits, vegetables, milk products, etc.), not sugary carbs (sugar, refined white flour products, etc.)

Introduce them slowly (to avoid the potential of carb dumping), and ramp them up till your energy improves.

It will produce a dramatic, rapid turnaround in your energy level.

Edit: oh, also, make sure you are drinking enough Water. We have so many nutrient needs to juggle that it's easy to forget about plain old water!

You are probably carb deprived; I went through this exact same thing, and my nutritionist gave me the same advice -- make sure to eat more (healthy) carbs with your meals.

Everyone around here is so rabidly anti-carb that it's easy to forget, but carbohydrates are a necessary part of your diet. Just make sure to eat healthy, complex carbs (fruits, vegetables, milk products, etc.), not sugary carbs (sugar, refined white flour products, etc.)

Introduce them slowly (to avoid the potential of carb dumping), and ramp them up till your energy improves.

It will produce a dramatic, rapid turnaround in your energy level.

Edit: oh, also, make sure you are drinking enough Water. We have so many nutrient needs to juggle that it's easy to forget about plain old water!

Yep, I had about 8 weeks of feeling like I was dead. Ditto what he said above me.

My program is not anti carb either. The other day I read a post that said "follow your program: high Protein, low carb..." Just for those who read here for data, not all program diets are high Protein and low carb. Mine is high protein, moderate carb. As stated above, the idea is healthy carbs. My NUT loves blended foods (something like Speical K protein cereal) where get both protein and carbs. I lean toward vegetarian so I get a lot of protein through soy. I might be losing a bit slower than others, but I really do believe it's a healthy slow since I added carbs back in upon having my diet smacked by my NUT at about 2.5 months out.

I could not do high protein, low carb for the rest of my life. So I need to learn now how to eat healthy and for me that does mean carbs too. As you go forward you will find what makes you feel good. Right now give those mushy or full liquid carbs a try. It's not going to hurt. You are in the very first days of a long journey.

OK, Thank you for your input. I'm type 1 diabetic on the insulin pump. Had my op on 16.07.11. Generally speaking I'm doing well, I think. I lost 17,5 pounds so far

The problem is I feel soooo tired all the time. After completing a simple task I'm shattered! Need a nap to pull myself together. Can't eat a lot. I'm now on mushes and tiny bits of vegges and chicken. Lots of fruit smoothies. Looks like I don't have enough of carbs.

I'll try to change that.

I have a slightly different story than most here - for the first 2.5 weeks I was EXHAUSTED with fatigue at work and at home. I called my surgeon's office and was told that it was normal. I also got that feedback here. So some of it may not have to do with carbs or liquids, but just normal recovery from surgery.

I have a slightly different story than most here - for the first 2.5 weeks I was EXHAUSTED with fatigue at work and at home. I called my surgeon's office and was told that it was normal. I also got that feedback here. So some of it may not have to do with carbs or liquids, but just normal recovery from surgery.

What are you eating now? What about your energy levels?

It's so limiting to feel so tired., I feel guilty looking round my house, watching becoming dustier and ....well, you know!

My husband is wonderful but it's really growing on me now.

What are you eating now? What about your energy levels?

It's so limiting to feel so tired., I feel guilty looking round my house, watching becoming dustier and ....well, you know!

My husband is wonderful but it's really growing on me now.

I am currently on the very beginning of solid foods, supplementing with soft solids and 1 Protein shake a day. I know that I am meeting my Protein goals.

I started feeling better around the beginning to middle of week 3. Since then I have really begun focusing on getting all my fluids in and have been feeling better and better, so I guess there IS a correlation and I just didn't realize it.

If you're on blood pressure medicine you may need to keep closer tabs on it-----it'll zap you if you are taking it and don't need to anymore. I was so tired I could barely function.

Thank you for your replies! I will definately work on my carbs and liquids!

I too fought fatigue for the first few weeks. I only took ten days off work after my surgery, and I was SO tired for weeks. I work nights (7:00 PM to 7:30 AM) and it just about killed me. I was SO Bone tired! I blamed part of my fatigue on the anesthesia. I had a laprascopic surgery about 18 months ago for a hernia repair, and I experienced the same fatigue after that surgery. So I really think the anesthesia plays a part in the fatigue problem.

I was getting REALLY depressed over it, and then about 4 weeks post op I started to experience nausea also! I started to have REAL buyer's remorse about the whole surgery thing. BUT, I decided that all things will pass, and started in making a concerted effort to get my Water in, get all my Protein in, and sleep at least 8-9 hours per day. And slowly the nausea, the fatigue and all the other symptoms I was worried about have passed. I am now 10 weeks out, and have to say that I mostly feel great! The fatigue is pretty much a thing of the past. The nausea is gone, and I feel great most of the time. Hang in there! It all gets better with time!

I was sleeved almost a year ago and I'm always tired. I seem to get the job done (home and work) but I'm always tired...by the way I take my Vitamins every day.

Hi,

I have another suggestion. Have you had a blood panel done lately. I went through something like this and for my my potassium was low. It was a simple fix and I now take potassium medications. You might want to go to your PCP and have them run a blood panel to just make sure.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I agree about adding carbs- and I am an avowed low carber. I am carb sensitive, and now, three months out, I have to stick to under 50 or I just do not lose weight no matter how low my intake. However, when I was a few weeks out, I was getting all my Protein, all my Water, but by nature of what I was drinking NO carbs- well, maybe 4! I was just not thinking about it with trying to get everything else, plus my doc specified Protein Drinks and Clear Liquids and my Protein drinks just have a few carbs. I could hardly lift my head off the pillow. My dietician immediately clarified the instructions that it should have been thin liquids- so milk, thinned yogurt, etc. were included . (I had it in my docs handwriting but he blew it ;-P) I almost INSTANTLY had an energy turnaround.

Hope you feel better!

xoxo