Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your funniest surgery moment?

I know surgery and recovery are rough!:o So I thought it would be fun if we shared any funny moments we had during surgery.

So I will go first.

I had problems with a low heart rate after I was moved into my room. It got worse as day turned into night and my husband and I were trying to sleep. The alarm was set to go off at 45 or less beats per minute. Each time I started to drift off....beep!...beep!...beep! went the alarm and woke both of us up. Well pretty soon I felt sorry for my hubby cuz he was exhausted so I started watching the alarm. Each time it would tick down close to 45 I would start doing arm excercises to increase my heart rate!:lol: So here we are in a dark room. I am hooked up to all kinds of gadgets and you know how the SPo2 monitor you have to wear on finger lights up red? Well my hubby wakes up in the dark and all he sees is a dancing red light as I am doing my arm excercises to keep the alarm from going off! He is like WTH is that?:angry: LOL Once he saw what I was doing he was like..."that's it! and goes over to the machine and resets the alarm for 39! He is a Veterinarian so he knows how to reset the machines! He still teases me about the "dancing red light show"!

So All Stars please share your stories as we go thru the month!:P

Not an All-Star, but...I was all dopey from the pain and anti-nausea meds and on IV fluids only. The nurses, of course, are tracking Input/output and I have to pee. I CANNOT find the bedpan, just a male urinal and I was pretty sure I wasn't steady enough to aim well. I looked under the sink and there was a big pink plastic dishpan that I'm sure they used for some kind of cleaning...but I peed in it.

The nurse never said a word, but when I went in the bathroom again the bedpan was sittting on top of the toilet.

I think I had the heart rate deal - my kids kept waking me up because an alarm was going off every time I drifted off the first night. Nothing too funny!

The anesthesioligist was tapping my arm trying to wake me up and I yelled at him OW!!!! Stop it!!!! Haha i don't even remember doing it but he and my sis got a chuckle out of it.

:)

My funny story happened the day before surgery. I knew we had to drive about two and a half hours the night before surgery so I wanted to get all cleared out before our drive. So I woke up about 3:30 in the morning and drank the whole bottle of magnesium citraite. I went back to bed and went to sleep. About 5:30 I heard a cow mooing. I kept thinking that somehow a cow had gotten into our back yard and fallen in our pool. I got up and checked the pool out and realized what the "cow" really was. :rolleyes:

First off, Good luck to all the August All Stars!!! You will do great!

My funniest surgical moment is when I kept telling the recovery nurse I could not move. She was trying to convince me I could but I insisted I couldn't move. Funny what a little a anesthesia will do to you. That was all I could remember from recovery was telling the nurse I could not move.

Oh well, turns out she was right.

Sheila

I know surgery and recovery are rough!:o So I thought it would be fun if we shared any funny moments we had during surgery.

So I will go first.

I had problems with a low heart rate after I was moved into my room. It got worse as day turned into night and my husband and I were trying to sleep. The alarm was set to go off at 45 or less beats per minute. Each time I started to drift off....beep!...beep!...beep! went the alarm and woke both of us up. Well pretty soon I felt sorry for my hubby cuz he was exhausted so I started watching the alarm. Each time it would tick down close to 45 I would start doing arm excercises to increase my heart rate!:lol: So here we are in a dark room. I am hooked up to all kinds of gadgets and you know how the SPo2 monitor you have to wear on finger lights up red? Well my hubby wakes up in the dark and all he sees is a dancing red light as I am doing my arm excercises to keep the alarm from going off! He is like WTH is that?:angry: LOL Once he saw what I was doing he was like..."that's it! and goes over to the machine and resets the alarm for 39! He is a Veterinarian so he knows how to reset the machines! He still teases me about the "dancing red light show"!

So All Stars please share your stories as we go thru the month!:P

Those are good!:D Yep, drugs make you do weird things!

My funny moment was that the OR table was too short for me and they could not find the extension! They had to roll mw back out and replace the table with a spare!

Wow! Jimmy how tall are you? I come from a tall family. One brother was 6ft 4in the other 2 are 6ft 2.

The alarm for my heart beat was freaking my husband right out. I had warned him the day of surgery would be the worst, and it was going to be bad. Later, he told me he just didn't expect me to look like I was dying. He compared me to his dad who had heart valve replacement surgery last year. He said the only difference was that I didn't have the tubes coming out of my nose.

He isn't in the medical field, and he was trying to read the monitor. He thought he was reading my blood pressure, but the big number was on top. He was really getting worried, and the nurse came in and let him know what the numbers really were. At that point, my blood pressure wasn't even on the monitor. The alarms on that machine probably weren't doing very good things for HIS blood pressure.

He left and my mom arrived. He went home thinking I looked like death warmed over. My mom arrived and later told everyone I looked great. I'm not sure if I really improved that much in the hour in between him leaving and her arriving. :)

I don't remember the recovery room at all. Before going in though, the nurse asked me how long it had been since I had a period. When I told her a year, she did a huge double take. I thought it was funny. They had just done a pregnancy test that was negative. I had an endometrial ablation last year, so I don't have periods any more although technically I could still get pregnant.

Wow! Jimmy how tall are you? I come from a tall family. One brother was 6ft 4in the other 2 are 6ft 2.

I'm probably 6'4" but seem more like an inch shorter because my gut tends to make me hunch.

The least funny thing was yesterday from 5 to 10 PM after they took out my foley and I had to give them 250cc of urine. I finally did it after hours of straining so they discharged me. I am so glad to be out now and due to all those fluids I am going like a racehorse now!

My funniest moment was being so drugged up I didnt relize when I was doing my walking after my boody was hanging out for awhile !!! Funny thing was not one nurse stopped to let me k.ow I was mooning everyone lol

my funny story is that after surgery i couldnt pee at all. i kept going to the toilet to try to pee but nothing was coming out. i would sit on the toilet with the Water running trying to encourage my bladder to work. well one morning i was sitting on the toilet while my husband and daughter were visiting. in my house i havent peed in private since i was married, my husband always barges in, my kids and so on. so i dont even bother to close the door anymore. well the nurses assistant was coming in to check my vital signs while i was visiting the toilet and we tried to tell her not to come in but her english not to good ;) so she barged in while im sitten there ass out. she doesnt miss a beat though as she claps her hands and smiles and says "oh you go pee pee?" i quickly smiled back flung my hands in the air and said, 'nope i just like to party naked on the toilet." can anyone say ---heres your sign. lol :lol:

Those are some GREAT stories! LOL!