Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just want to tell people my story so far. I am one day post op. My surgery was 8/8/2011. All in all its going well. I am still in the hospital on my laptop. I just wanted to give everyone a word of encouragement that might need it who are considering having this surgery. I am doing great. I was so afraid and nervous I didnt really sleep for a week. When I got to my room, I had really great nurses. I was not in any real pain. I asked if I could pee and then walk some. It felt good to walk even though it was soon after surgery. I walked a lot yesterday. I was given nausea meds in my IV and so I have not experienced any nausea so far. I did get serious acid reflux heartburn type pain last night. I lasted all night, I had to slow way down on my sipping ice Water because if increased the heartburn pain. It was more bothersome than painful though. I slept on and off. Its 10:41 today and they gave me some muscle relaxers and bloodthinners. I am on a morphine pump. I dont have to press the button very often though. I was surprised and happy that I have had a fairly smooth ride so far. I have had time to reflect on how wonderful this opportunity really is.

My advise to you all is to keep your eye on the prize and just take it one day at a time. You will be happy you gave up caffeine during the liquid diet and got through the headaches. Mine lasted a couple days and it was over. Caffeine is not healthy anyway and I dont plan to go back to it. The liquid diet is a challenge but I just got through it one day at a time, sometimes hour by hour. Muscle Milk banana cream flavor was really good and I hate Protein shakes! We can all do this together~ We owe it to ourselves to finally have the healthy life we want. Feel free to email me or message me anytime during this journey. I am slightly ahead of you and I will answer all your questions to the best of my ability. We are all here for support and its great to know other people are in your shoes too! Hang in there!

Congratulations....i am so afraid I am thinking of backing out or switching to lapband.....I am afraid of feeling sick afterwards and the acid reflux.....pain is not a fear for me as I have survived a 4.5 pound tumor and major surgery....I cannot tolerate nausea.....I am 8 hours from my doctor so there is little prep and interaction....I am supposed to schedule surgery sometime this month! HELP for the fearful!

Congratulations....i am so afraid I am thinking of backing out or switching to lapband.....I am afraid of feeling sick afterwards and the acid reflux.....pain is not a fear for me as I have survived a 4.5 pound tumor and major surgery....I cannot tolerate nausea.....I am 8 hours from my doctor so there is little prep and interaction....I am supposed to schedule surgery sometime this month! HELP for the fearful!

I wouldn't go for the band. Plenty of people on here have revised TO VSG FROM the band. See below for some threads on why not to have the band

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4398937/New-here-Researching-and-Learning/#36372729

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/4434392/amping-Band/#36664839

Revisions are more difficult and more prone to complications, so you really really need to think carefully about what WLS you choose.

Congrats! Glad you are doing so well. My surgery was last week and aside from blood pressure and heart issues it was smooth sailing. I had IV nausea meds and Toradol plus the morphine pump. Been home recovering. Keep us posted!

Congrats. You sound like you're doing awesome!! biggrin.gif

I just want to tell people my story so far. I am one day post op. My surgery was 8/8/2011. All in all its going well. I am still in the hospital on my laptop. I just wanted to give everyone a word of encouragement that might need it who are considering having this surgery. I am doing great. I was so afraid and nervous I didnt really sleep for a week. When I got to my room, I had really great nurses. I was not in any real pain. I asked if I could pee and then walk some. It felt good to walk even though it was soon after surgery. I walked a lot yesterday. I was given nausea meds in my IV and so I have not experienced any nausea so far. I did get serious acid reflux heartburn type pain last night. I lasted all night, I had to slow way down on my sipping ice Water because if increased the heartburn pain. It was more bothersome than painful though. I slept on and off. Its 10:41 today and they gave me some muscle relaxers and bloodthinners. I am on a morphine pump. I dont have to press the button very often though. I was surprised and happy that I have had a fairly smooth ride so far. I have had time to reflect on how wonderful this opportunity really is.

My advise to you all is to keep your eye on the prize and just take it one day at a time. You will be happy you gave up caffeine during the liquid diet and got through the headaches. Mine lasted a couple days and it was over. Caffeine is not healthy anyway and I dont plan to go back to it. The liquid diet is a challenge but I just got through it one day at a time, sometimes hour by hour. Muscle Milk banana cream flavor was really good and I hate Protein shakes! We can all do this together~ We owe it to ourselves to finally have the healthy life we want. Feel free to email me or message me anytime during this journey. I am slightly ahead of you and I will answer all your questions to the best of my ability. We are all here for support and its great to know other people are in your shoes too! Hang in there!

You are doing amazing! I am so impressed that you were able to log on and type sentences!! On day 2, I was so out of it, I didn't know my mom visited!

Keep up the great work and remember...all this inconveniece is temporary and life gets better every day.

READINGTEACHER: Don't do the band!!! Check out my posts and you will know my horrific story. 99% of people have complications and over 30% will have the band out within 5 years, leaving you right at square one!

My aunt has the lapband and she throws up all the time. She couldn't eat bread or meat at all and it's very painful trying to eat certain foods. She only lost a little weight and then stalled. I think she stretched it out or something because she can eat a lot of food now.

If the nausea is what you are worried about, definitely don't go with the lapband. I was sleeved 3 weeks ago and had zero nausea at all. Everything I've read about the Lapband is that the nausea continues way past just the surgery. I was the most nervous about nausea too, but they kept me pumped full of anti-nausea meds and even when I went home, I still have not had a single bit of nausea. I was VERY scared going in to the surgery and was SO relieved when I came out and did not have any nausea. :)

What a great update just ONE day post-op. You sound like you're doing terrific! I'm hoping my surgery goes as well as yours. I'm on day two of the pre-op two-week diet and I'm hungry and have had a continual headache (caffeine withdrawal) but I know it will be very worth it in the end. Keep us updated. :-)

The heartburn isn't even that bad. I'm very happy with my recovery so far. I did walk two miles a day sometimes one mile for the one week preop. Caffeine withdrawal was a b***h but it got better after day two. No caffeine in the hospital so I am thrilled I got it over with! You are going to do great!!

Great info on the post op..congrats too.

as far as the lap band...i was going to get the lab band, and actually went to the info meeting on that, my referal was for the lap band. I ended up totally changing my mind when i got all the facts. just make sure you are educated before making any choices.