Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Jacksonville???

I'm so sorry to hear all the issues & problems many of you are having with Dr Cywes office. As I said before I had researched the local offices for over a good year & heard some not so nice things regarding them. When Dr Baptista left his office & began his own practice I then knew it wasn't all rumors. I absolutely adore Dr Baptista & can't say enough kind words about him or his staff.

My wife got a call from Dr. Baptista's office a little while ago...our surgery is scheduled for September 7th!!!!!! Now I really wish I had went to him when we first started. :)

[

My wife got a call from Dr. Baptista's office a little while ago...our surgery is scheduled for September 7th!!!!!! Now I really wish I had went to him when we first started. :)

That is wonderful news!!!! I'm so happy for the both of you!!!!!! I know you are relieved :)

Keep us posted on your progress!!!!!!

He is wonderful, you will be in very good hands with him. I had some medical issues after being sleeved in Mexico. I went to many doctors who didn't have a clue what was wrong with me. Someone finally recommended him to me, and he was the only to really sit and listen to what was going on with me, order the appropriate tests for me and finally get me on the road to recovery.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Just a small update (it's been awhile since I last posted)...

First i want to thank everyone who suggested Dr. Baptista..he is really awesome!! I only wish I had a PCP as nice as him :)

Things were a bit rough starting off. Right after surgery I was feeling extraordinary. My wife on the other hand was very nauseated after surgery. On the way home my Father (who drove us to and from the hospital) hit a pothole in the road and that was pretty much the end of my feeling good. As the days went on I kept getting a stabbing pain near my port site, that the pain meds would not even dull. About a week after the surgery it became so unbearable that I almost went to the ER. My wife called Dr. Baptista's cell phone and he actually met us at his office (this was 7:30pm, I don't know any other doctor that would do this). Apparently I had a pinched nerve near my port. Dr. B fixed me up with some muscle relaxers which helped a good bit.

After I was able to get the pain managed my wife and I became frustrated because the scale was not moving..as a matter of fact it seemed to go up :( . We talked to the staff at Dr. B's office and they keep saying the same thing about "eat as much Protein as you want and stay under 30 carbs". The dietitian/nutritionist at there office said the same things..yet the scale would not move. We were both at the point of almost giving up because we could not figure out why we were not losing.

In mid September my wife started taking a tax class. One of the woman in her class was actually a licensed nutritionist, so my wife explained our situation. The woman said a common thing people hear the terms "stay under 30 carbs" and they actually do no carbs or very very little. She explained that you still need some carbs to help process the Protein, plus she said to up vegetable intake. Not sure why Dr. B's nutritionist didn't say that, but we figured we would give it a try.

After making these few tweaks we actually started seeing the scale go down for the first time since our surgery date! Since we made these changes I have lost 21 pounds and my wife has lost 15, In total since we started our Lapband journey (our 6 month PSD) I am down 60 pounds and my wife is down 37 pounds.

Physically I did not see it..because i am used to seeing myself so big. This past weekend my wife decided we were going to clean out our closet. She made my try on clothes, and we were donating anything that didn't fit to Goodwill. She pulled out some dress shirts that back in February I could not even hope to get buttoned up. I was in utter shock when I put them on and not only COULD I button them, but they were so big I was "swimming" in them!! That was the first time I could actually feel that I had lost weight. The scale said i had..but now I can "feel" it!!! My wife tried on a pair of shorts she was given about 7 years ago...back then she could not get them buttoned and she said they were so tight she though they would rip. Now they fit..and they are loose on her..she said they were so comfortable now, and she ended up wearing them for the rest of the day :)

So needless to say..after a slow start..we are both now making headway!!

Congrats on your journey!! You made a fantactic choice when you went to Dr. Baptista. He is my hero. He is also a great general surgeon. About 2 1/2 months after my WLS I had a BAD case of acute appendictious and had to emergency surgery. Never been so sick in my life and I'm a breast cancer survivor. Good Luck!!