Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Jacksonville???

According to information I've read on various boards and in speaking with Dr. Pinnar in person regarding his old practice in Virginia' date=' it appears that after he sold his practice, the physician who purchased it went back through old records and was rebilling insurance companies in Dr. Pinnar's name or something to that effect. The reason I waited 45 minutes on him at one appointment was because he was speaking to his attorney. When he came in, he apologized and we spoke a little about the subject before turning our attention to the reason I was there.

During my office visits with him, it was very apparent that he was not happy with the way the office was being run and often encouraged me to contact the Practice Administrator and voice my dissatisfaction which I did prior to finding another group to do my revision surgery.

There is definitely something odd going on with that practice. When I first started going there, the waiting room was ALWAYS packed and you had to wait hours before being seen. Not so much anymore.

A curious thing happened when I was in the process of getting my band removed. At one point I was scheduled to have my surgery performed by Dr. Cywes at Shands. About a week prior to my surgery, the office called saying they were going to have to reschedule my surgery for a much later date due to a mixup between Dr. Cywes and Shands about operating room times. They were not going to be able to schedule me for a month or more later. I asked about Memorial and they said that Pinnar could do it there (why not Dr. Cywes?). That was when I decided to go with Dr. Pinnar. In addition, for a little while I was speaking with another group that operates out of Memorial. In speaking with the bariatric coordinators there, they alluded to something going on with Cywes, but they would never come right out and say what the issue was.

I really don't know what's going on there, but as messed up as things appear I would not recommend them to anyone that I cared about. I had my band removed due to 40% erosion in late March. Cywes told me he could revise me to the sleeve in six weeks. The surgeon I am seeing now won't touch me for six months! I hate waiting. I hate the fact that I'm packing on the pounds and I'm miserable in my body. But I'm thankful they are being cautious and allowing my body ample time to heal and allow the scar tissue to settle down and do a variety of tests to make sure I'm a good candidate so I'm not miserable for the rest of my life. I can wait a few more months to be safe. Pinnar once referred to Cywes as a "cowboy". I think reckless and cocky may be a more accurate description.[/quote']

I was supposed to have surgery on 8/20 but got a call from Jamie that Dr. Cywes would not be doing in surgreys in august because he was changingbsurgrey centers and she would contact me in September when they get it all straightened out... this is crazy!

Thinin12 that's a red flag! Something is going on with them! So glad I changed!!

I was supposed to have surgery on 8/20 but got a call from Jamie that Dr. Cywes would not be doing in surgreys in august because he was changingbsurgrey centers and she would contact me in September when they get it all straightened out... this is crazy!

WOW....less then a week out from surgery and they postpone it??? I would be up in arms!!

I think the problem they may be running into is that some insurances require the surgery be done at a "Center of Excellence". I know Memorial was one (where Dr Pinnar did his surgeries), but I can't find any information to the fact if Shands is one (where Dr Cywes does his surgeries).

Well this very thing happen to me, I was scheduled for 9 July then 12 July and final band day 23 July all I can say is once Dr C opens his own surgery center things will be back to normal. Just be patient and if you get to where you need answers go in for an appointment Dr C will explain everything to you. Good Luck try to stay positive praying for Dr C and all of his patients.

Got some great news today.....my wife called UMR and we were both APPROVED!!!

We called Dr Cywes's office to find out our next step..and OF COURSE Jaime is NOT IN THE OFFICE AGAIN!!! :angry:

Why is my progress always held up by this one person? Since she is out several days a week, I take it she is NOT working full time. I just finished my schooling for Medical Billing and Coding...maybe I need to go to the office and take her job! I am able to work FULL TIME and could do 1000% better then she is doing!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praying you both get banded soon.

I am finally fed up with dealing with Dr Cywes's office...now they are not scheduling surgeries at all, and I was told that even when they start scheduling them again there could be a month or more wait.... sorry but that's the last straw!!!

Can anyone suggest a good surgeon that will not give me the run around??? I am already approved..It would just be a matter of getting to the surgeon and setting things up.

I am SO sorry to hear this! I was hoping that maybe you would be on the road to getting your band. I'm not sure where you are located but I am using Dr.'s Marema and Koppman with US Bariatrics in St. Augustine. They operate out of Flagler Hospital which has EXTREMELY nice facilities. They are VERY thorough and responsive. If I send an email I typically get a response with 24 hours. I have been very pleased with them so far (even though I haven't had my surgery with them yet). A co-worker of mine had her sleeve done with them and has been nothing but happy with them. Dr. Marema has been listed as one of the best bariatric surgeons in the country. I highly recommend them. Please keep us posted.

I am SO sorry to hear this! I was hoping that maybe you would be on the road to getting your band. I'm not sure where you are located but I am using Dr.'s Marema and Koppman with US Bariatrics in St. Augustine. They operate out of Flagler Hospital which has EXTREMELY nice facilities. They are VERY thorough and responsive. If I send an email I typically get a response with 24 hours. I have been very pleased with them so far (even though I haven't had my surgery with them yet). A co-worker of mine had her sleeve done with them and has been nothing but happy with them. Dr. Marema has been listed as one of the best bariatric surgeons in the country. I highly recommend them. Please keep us posted.

Thank you..I will look into them. I was also looking into Dr Baptista, but I can't find him listed on my insurance site as being in network

I actually really like Dr. Baptista and would also highly recommend him for a lapband. The only reason I decided to go to someone else when I left Cywes was due to the complexity of my surgery from eroded band to sleeve. I wanted someone with a LOT of experience in complex surgeries. Dr. Baptista and very nice and a competent surgeon.

I left there and went to Dr.Baptista he is very nice and want to help!! The office staff have been great!

My wife and I are in the process of switching to Dr. Baptista!!! Let's pray everything goes smoothly from now on.

Must say I was lucky. Pinnar did my SX in April and I've seen Cwyves for the last 2 visits. Sorry that you all are going through this. My friend was suppose to have the SX this week and they canceled on her 1 week before. Crazy

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

Very cool! I know you will like him. He's very nice! Keep us posted on how things go!

We got a call from Dr. Baptista's office this morning and they fit us in for a visit at 3:15. You were right...he is SUPER nice!!! Also Rosy is on the ball..she already talked with our insurance company twice and is getting everything in line. here is hoping everything continues to go smooth! Kinda wish I choose Dr. Baptista to begin with.