Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This forum seems to have very few people

I was sleeved at age 63 back in April. I occasionally look at this forum to see what others my age are experiencing, but it seems that there is no action at all here. Obviously, we 60's are in a vast minority when it comes to WLS. I read other posts, and think that it would be nice to speak to others who have concerns like me. One of them is the exercise thing. My knees and hips are bad, and so it's difficult to get the exercise in. If anyone out there is having the same concerns, let me know. Other than that, the surgery went quite easily for me. I'm hoping to get off more meds, but I have to be patient. Anyway, if any 60's are reading this, hope that you are having a good experience as I am.

I'm not 60, but I have the hips and knees of a 60 year old. Diagnosed with osteo-arthritis at 21 in my hips and knees. Least to say, exercise was nearly impossible until I had dropped about 60lbs, and even at my lowest, maintenance weight of 125lbs, my knees, hips still grind and pop.

Many congrats on your loss thus far ! ! !

I was sleeved last week and will be 60 next month. Am I close enough (lol)? Having gotten through this first week without too much trouble. Just a few days on the pain meds and I must be one of the few people out there who actually likes my Protein Shakes. I've had 2 cervical disk fusions and think another may be in my future. Torn ACL on one knee about 8 years ago and had that fixed and doc cleaned it out in there. The other one has some weakness and arthritis; I,m really afraid of trying to do anything on uneven ground for fear of messing it up more. Not too many other complaints along those lines.

Hi. I had surgery 13 months ago at age 62. I hsve terrible osteoarthritis in my knees. For the first 11 months I used sit down exercise videos. I'm in education and started at a hospital related fitness center when school was out. I started in Water aerobics but now mostly do land workouts. Even have a trainer!

My experience has been great. Glad yours is going well!

Oh and rubyspring. It got so much better getting weight off my knees. I still need knee replacement but take less hydrocodone and am so much more mobile. Glad your recovery is going well. I have 3 herniated discs in lower back and haven't had any problems for months. knock on wood.

Hi,

I just got sleeved 10-4-11 so I am now looking at post-surgery posts and found your post. I will be 68 on the 24th of this month. I must say this was the easiest of now 4 abdominal surgeries, but not quite as I expected recovery wise. For one thing I have genuine hunger, not head hunger. The second thing is I am not making it on liquids only. I have pureed some chili, had 1/2 cup mashed Beans with shredded chesse, and some sugar free pudding. From other posts I see some people are allowed mushies right out the gate. I haven't had any trouble with these foods. Sometimes I get an air bubble and have to wait until I burp. As far as exercise I have had both of my knees replaced and two discs in my back removed so I'm not doing handstands-don't ever expect to. I will be happy if I can walk without struggling for air. How are you doing? Would love to hear your ideas and where you are in all this.

Monty

I was sleeved at age 63 back in April. I occasionally look at this forum to see what others my age are experiencing, but it seems that there is no action at all here. Obviously, we 60's are in a vast minority when it comes to WLS. I read other posts, and think that it would be nice to speak to others who have concerns like me. One of them is the exercise thing. My knees and hips are bad, and so it's difficult to get the exercise in. If anyone out there is having the same concerns, let me know. Other than that, the surgery went quite easily for me. I'm hoping to get off more meds, but I have to be patient. Anyway, if any 60's are reading this, hope that you are having a good experience as I am.

hi there, :unsure:

i'm here - some of are still around - i think we look in the other 60's post too, thats why you don't always see us

my name is kathy - i had to take an early disability retirement 5 years ago at the age of 53 years young.

I had my sleeve done on December 15, 2011 and i'm very happy. :angel_smile:

My diabetes is gone as are my high blood pressure, chloresterol (very mispelled!) c-pap - boy i had the works!

I have 90lbs to lose, and it might as well be 900. It's very hard, but i know i will do it. I have lost 25lbs. so far, so i'm happy. :regular_smile:

my journey will be long and hard, but i'm looking forward to it.

good luck to all of us

kathy

ps - married to my DH 0f 20 years, one daughter & son-in-law, 3 of the cutest grand-kids in the world, present company accepted. :smile1:

Hi, Likasulema,

Glad to see you're doing well. 25 lbs is great! I know that it is slow going for us, but it's ok. It will come off. I hit lots of stalls, and I'm still doing ok. I had my sleeve done on the 19th of April, 2011. It's like my new birthday. Glad to see a story like mine. I am also off diabete meds, and my cholesterol was 132 as of last blood test. Still taking meds for it though, and also for high blood pressure. I also have 3 grandchildren 4 and under. They keep us on the go, which is good because it's the only exercise that I've been getting. Keep up the good work. Good luck!

Linda