Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I fainted because of VSG?

2.5 weeks post op. So several times since surgery I have been laying or sitting down and stood up and almost passed out. Yesterday I went out side and mowed the lawn for twenty minutes and thought I was going to die. My head rush was so extreme I could feel it in my head and eyes.

I came inside and fainted on the living room floor. I woke up and my dog was licking me.

Any ideas?

Thank goodness you were not operating lawn mower when you passed out. Fainting is not because of VSG but because of health. You don't faint from surgery 2 weeks later.

BUT...are you hydrated enough? How much liquid have you consumed today? If outside you should be over 64oz. Carbs? Protein? You should be getting in around 50-75 of Protein daily. Vitamins? You should be taking a Multivitamins with Iron at this point if surgeon okayed.

Sounds like you need to take charge so this scary episode does not happen again. Hope you feel better soon. Contact surgeon if you pass out again, okay?

Are you on blood pressure meds?? If so, you may need a lower dose or to stop them!!

I've felt like this many times since surgery, but it was the worst in my earliest weeks. I believe that it's due to lack of calories, carbs, and not enough fluids. I chalk it up to the calories most of all because it's the same way that I used to feel in the early stages of a VLC liquid diet that I did a couple of years ago. I was getting 64+ oz of Fluid at the time, but I was only taking in 400 cals or less. I almost fainted a couple of times.

When I get like that these days, I try to eat something Protein rich like tuna or eggs but I up the calories and Protein with cheese. I imagine that you're only on full liquids right now, so I'd suggest that you make sure to find a good Protein powder and get your full amount of recommended protein. Don't worry about counting calories, you can't get enough in for them to matter anyway. I would also suggest drinking regular Gatorade because of the calorie and carb content. I felt much better when I switched from G2 to regular Gatorade for a week. Last, I'd suggest that you contact your NUT and explain the situation and ask for suggestions.

I went to the hospital after I nearly passed out about 1.5 weeks after my sleeve surgery. They fed me apple juice and cranberry juice cocktail to get my energy up since I was on clears and couldn't eat.

If you are on ANY medication (not just blood pressure) and it has not been adjusted since your surgery, that may be the cause of it (for example, if your blood sugar goes too low due to diabetes medication, you could potentially faint). I would check that out with your PCP.

Also, make sure you are getting at least 64 oz of Water and all of your Protein in. If you are, and there isn't medication involved, contact your dietician/surgeon and see if you might need a few carbs. I know once I got a FEW carbs in, I felt better. Definitely get this checked out this next week as you should not be fainting.

Be sure you call your doctor and get your fluids in. Boy, your dog is sure an awesome dog!

First: Talk to your doctor.

Week 3 and 4 were the hardest for me. I was so busy getting mushies in that i neglected my Protein shakes and Water. I had a day where my head was just swimming. I was exhausted for about a week and took 3 hour naps each night when i came home from work. The day I was very lightheaded I decided to drink Protein and Water like crazy. Within a day and a half I was a new woman...I started soft foods and had a wonderful dinner of chile colorado. Drink protein and water like crazy and see if that does the trick. I hope these words help you. Take care...

What a scary experience! I'm glad you are ok. Definately talk to your doctor ASAP. For the first month after my surgery I was so weak I was admitted to the hospital several times due to dehydration and extremely low potassium. When my potassium was low I fainted a few times.

I hope you feel better soon! I'm at week 6 and can't get over how good I feel. It does get better!

Yes call your doctor. I felt a little like that during my first week. What did help until I could get enough Protein and Fluid down was a sugar free sports drink. I think I needed the electrolytes. I really felt better when I used that for a good portion of my fluids last week.

Khy

Yep- been having the same since the first week..

Surgeon says it isn't surgery, Nutritionist says I'm doing everything right. Protein and hydration.

I started drinking G-2 at work- and it seems that has helped- today I didn't drink it but straight Water,

today has been my best day, dizzy wise as well as food wise.

PCF- says it's my body getting NORMALIZED, I'm a tall person- it takes a while for the blood to reach the top floor...

what is confusing is- it happens sporadically, early morning, late night, after lunch...

didn't happen after cycling 17 miles...

I have been puzzled, I think it is getting bettter.

hope you do too!

Google this - Orthostatic hypotension

The receptors for blood pressure are in our necks. Upon standing quickly from sitting or lying position, our bodies freak out especially when we've dropped a quick 20-30lbs and since most of that is Water weight, we have to increase fluids, and watch your sodium content. Our bodies need sodium, and a lot of those liquids don't offer good sodium content. We need a minimum of 1500mg per day of sodium.

I was going to suggest getting your sodium and potassium levels checked. But seems other veterans have beat me to it. I would definitly have a chat with your doc to make sure you are getting in what your body requires.

Thank you for the responses. I will call my doc on Monday. I have been getting so worried about every little thing. I call my doc and nurse about 10 times since surgery. He finally gave me xanax. But fainting is no joke. wow that was scary.