Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bike-riding

Lanette-

yes they have them... I think trek or specialized makes them.

To me it's a gimmick- switching gears is easy- (sorry)

it's a tool like your sleeve, to make riding easier...

depending on your condition, I try to find a gear I can ride in 60% of the time...

if you have a triple on the front, I ride ride middle/middle...

then as I hit down slopes or up slopes adjust the gearing so I am still doing about 60-80 revs per minute...

I want to keep my legs moving at all times- using these gears, one way or another helps.

there are other ways- like standing or just pushing harder...

I have clips on my shoes- so not only do I push but I can pull...

the only way to learn this is by doing...

get out and play with the gears, they should move easily from one gear to the next- if not go to your local bike shop and get an adjustment...

while on rack- they should show you how to change gears- always pedaling....

there are too many types to talk about- some have numbers on the handle- 1 is easy- 9 is hard

2/5 is my normal...

if ya want pm me- take a pic of your shifters and I can talk you through it...

if you go to a bike shop and they are not friendly- find another- until somebody wants to show you...

I was shuned because of my size- and pushed towards a bike i didn't want- I moved on and finally a guy helped me, I got the bike I wanted- it worked for my weight and has been great to me- over the miles... now I am lighter- I love that bike more.

I have a bike with only one speed :D actuly I have two bikes like that :D one you rest, called a single speed- think back to the kiddie bikes- and the other is old school, fixed- still one gear but as long as the wheels are moving so do the pedals...

it is the best bike to ride.. I feel like I am one with the bike... just don't stop pedaling... you go over the handle bars- or your knees get yanked out of their sockets... :D

I only crashed once, first time out...

now I can ride and enjoy it...

Anybody wants to talk bikes- pm me...

Bikes are my life-ok making wine too ;)

Lanette, I completely relate to your plight with the gears! My husband, a bicycle expert, says older bikes that haven't been well maintained shift badly. I had a good quality bike that I had purchased used from a friend many years ago. I never could get the gears thing down (it had 18 gears.) So my husband helped me find the perfect replacement bike for my needs and I LOVE it. It is a cruiser with 3 simple gears on the right handlebar marked (1, 2, 3.) I ride on paved trails and neighborhood streets so this is all I needed. Also it is a belt drive so it doesn't need to be oiled or get rusty, it is silent and doesn't squeak! My husband also comments that "I think the main thing if somebody has trouble shifting is to get the internally geared hub." Hope that helps.

By the way, for other reluctant riders who are worried about their weight... I have been riding even at my highest weight of about 365 and I am in my late 40's. It is easier on my joints than walking. Just make sure that your seat is at a correct height for you. If everything is adjusted correctly for you, you can enjoy without pain.

Oh and invest in a wide and comfy seat, upright handle bars, whatever is best for you! And buy a good helmet!

Good luck,

Carol

FYI: I have not yet been sleeved, it is coming up on Sept. 23. I hope as I drop some pounds I will be able to ride more / farther!

A pic of my bike

Maybe you folks can help me. I am 4'10" and have always had trouble trying to find a bike that works for me. I've ended up with bikes made for children which fit my proportions but can't handle my weight. Any ideas?

Maybe you folks can help me. I am 4'10" and have always had trouble trying to find a bike that works for me. I've ended up with bikes made for children which fit my proportions but can't handle my weight. Any ideas?

The weight thing won't be a problem soon! Check in with a good bike shop if you have one in the area... or if you don't I'm sure you might find more info online for your personal bike requirements,

Try looking at a proper BMX style bike -- avoid Next and Huffy -- a good brand would be Haro or similar. BMX bike has smaller wheels, small frame and high handle bars designed for maneuverability while flying through the air / doing tricks. The seat can be adjusted low for a smaller rider. The smaller wheels have more spokes so they tend to be tougher. And the frame accommodates a lower seat height. They are created for the impact and abuse of tricks and jumps so should work very well for a heavier rider.

Another thing you could look for is called a "dirt jump" bike or a "park" bike. They will be a little bigger and have a front shock but will be equally strong, albeit a little more expensive.

The riding position should be comfortable for standard street riding on all bikes mentioned above. (credit goes to my bicycle-crazy husband for all info.)

WELL! I ended up finding a shop I really liked on my first attempt! The employees were super laid-back, very kind and courteous. They helped me pick out a great bike with a comfy seat and changed the tires so they weren't so clunky. I was was surprised that the "normal" cheaper bikes could hold my weight/size.

Ahem, now the only issue is that I still have trouble riding!! I must get back to practicing unsure.gif However it was a lot of fun just to be on it, and have my own bike again. Hopefully in a few months I will be able to whizz by on it! I wish everyone the best of luck in their own biking journey haha