Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting a Pet to Sleep?

Hi Friends, I need some advice for my mom. She has a 16 year old Beagle (Peaches) who the past few months is not doing well. Shes not eating, not drinking, moving very slow, sleeping all day, no energy, Fluid in her lungs. She has congestive heart failure and is dying of plain old age. She cant even take her heart meds/ How do we know when its time? I just wish she would pass in her sleep but shes strong. How do you make the decision and at what time?

If she's not eating or drinking, it sounds like her body systems are already beginning to shut down and it probably won't be very long until she dies on her own.

IMHO, if she is in any pain, now would be the time.:think

If you think she is suffering / physically hurting then its time. Bring her to the vet and see what the vet says. Even though she may not be crying or moaning, she could be hurting inside.

I'm so very sorry :)

Thanks ladies! Heres a photo of her in December, she really is a sweet oldtimer! My mom is taking her to the vet on Friday. I told her it ok if she has to go to sleep, its the last gift of love a pet owner can give their pet.

347595998%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D325%3B%3E563%3E954%3EWSNRCG%3D3233358%3B7%3B57%3Bnu0mrj

When the bad days/times outweigh the good days/time you know it in your heart.

We have a 16 y/o dachshund that we struggle with this same question from time to time.

Best wishes for your difficult time.

Myra

I worked in the Pet care industry my entire life. I believe that when there is no quality of life, its time. It is the way I would want it. I would not want to lay there and suffer. I think, for me it is this way, its harder on the pet parent that it is on the pet. We dont want that pet to not be there in the morning or at night when its bed time. We care for these pets like they are family...their pain..is our pain. I have 2 dogs and I am really scared for the day when its their time to go. I have made that decision many time, and everytime its just as painful. They may go right to sleep and its over..but for us..the grieving lasts a lifetime. Its a hard decision no matter who you are...sad...very very sad.

We just did this a couple months ago with my Mom's dog who was one of my "rescue babies" five years ago.

She only slept, and did that with a pained expression. She sat to drink and only ate out of hand on the couch. Her skin condition must have been painful as was her constant ear infection.

She had always hated the vet, so when we went in for the first shot, I took her to the car until she was asleep. The first shot is sedative, the second stops the heart.

When I took the little sleeping bundle back in, the vet commented that her color was horrible, (her breathing was labored and her tongue was grayish) that we were doing the right thing. My Mom had her doubts, but it made it easier for her knowing that everyone supported her decision.

I don't envy you yours. Hugs, Brenda

Hi DAA:

I know how you feel. I am a huge pet lover and have had to make this heartwrenching decision a few times. The last time with a cat I had for 14 years..... She had cancer and one day she was great, the next HORRIBLE.

She always hated the car and was viscious when you tried to take her. The day I took her to put her to sleep, I didn't even have to put her in a carrier. She went willingly and lay in my lap the entire 30 minute trip to the vet, licking my hand..... I knew she knew it was time to say goodbye. When she got to the vet, she went straight to him, turned and looked at me, gave a weak meow and let him pick her up..... I was amazed, but knew she was ready.

I felt so guilty at first, but realized it was all about me.....Putting her to sleep was the greatest act of love and charity I could have ever performed. Don't let yuor beloved dog suffer one day in pain. He deserves that for all the love and happiness he has brought to you. And, when you go home, Celebrate the luck you had to have such a bundle of four pawed love to share your life with.....

My heart goes out to you. I have two Boxers...2 and 3 years old, and I cry when I think that they might EVER die......Literally!

Good luck to you and your mom. My prayers are with you and your beloved pooch.

Oh God, I am so sorry that you are going through this. It is one of the hardest things to do. I have had to do it several times in my life. I just know that I want them to be happy and comfortable. When my last "little man" my beloved cocker spaniel was at the end, I took him to the vet and the vet was wonderful, explained everything and made it bearable. Good luck, again I am sorry that you are going through this.

Thanks all of you for your thoughts and advice. Sometimes its good to share these stories. My mom is going to see what the vet says on Friday. She really had a great life and its sad to see her not eating and enjoying life. I will keep you all posted on what we plan to do. Lots of love to all of your pets!!!!

I was only able to read the first couple of posts on this thread before I got all teary eyed. Please tell your mom how sorry I am that she is going through this. We went through the same thing with our beloved Sasha (16 year old white Shepherd) last year. When the quality of life is gone, its just time. I can tell that Peaches is well loved and has had a wonderful life with your family and thats what you have to keep in mind when the time comes. She has had a blessed life to be with a family that cares about her and loves her so. Best of luck!

Its a hard decision. We had to put our relatively young pussy cat to sleep some years back, he was only six.

He'd had a hard life, although we bought him from a pet shop, it was obvious he was a stray, he was riddled with fleas and in very poor condition and too young to have been separated from his mother, the vet bills started pouring in as soon as we brought him home.

He turned out to be quite mentally unwell, overly agressive, constant fighting and the resulting abscecces and other problems, and when I started bring babies home, he went a bit nuts, attacked me very badly in the middle of the night twice as I was leaning over the cot. He had to be on valium all the time to keep him normal.

When I found him squatting in the backyard trying to urinate and only passing blood, I took him to the vet. The vet didnt tell me what to do but he did sort of lay the facts out on the table and said he was an unhappy stressed cat, he was always sick, he was dangerous for children and I just decided it was best all round, despite his young age, we couldnt risk him attacking one of the kids and he just plain was living a miserable life.

It was a really hard decision and it was harder because it was not like he was really old or very very seriously sick, and I did suffer quite a bit of guilt over it, wondering if I'd done the right thing.

You have to make the decision based on their quality of life, and for us, I also had to make it based on the kids.

I too think our beloved pets know when we do what we do out of love. My dalmation/springer spaniel cross "Chelsea" had been with me for 16 years. She was with me through a very abusive marriage, she would get between us and try to "save" me. Knowing she put her life on the line for me, and I was ending hers so to speak, was harder than I can say. Just like Charlif said, Chelsea hated her kennel, she knew that meant she was going to the vet. She would hide under the bed, or take off outside where she was impossible to catch! She went downhill rapidly the last month, and eventually had episodes where she lost control of her hind quarters, and would lose control of her kidneys at the time. So I knew it was time to make that call. Knowing I was going to have to I brought the kennel in to clean it up and get it ready. She was too ill to run away I knew, but amazingly the sweet baby walked over and calmly walked into the kennel and just sighed and lay down. Her way of asking me to help I thought. She knew, I just needed convincing. Now our vet is in the next town over, but that is a 20 minute drive, I knew if I took that 20 minutes, I would turn around and come home without doing it. so I called a local vet, and took her right in, he let me sit on the table and just hold her. He gave her the shots and he walked me across to his office, where he sat me, still holding her in his big office chair, and told me to take all the time I needed. I sat and held her and cried for who knows how long. When I saw an aide walk by she come in, and they had a box fixed for me to take her home in, I had requested to do so, so I could bury her here. I brought her home, and put her afghan blanket in with her, and my Dad and brother helped me bury her. It was harder than I can say. But I also know in my heart it was the right thing to do. My heart goes out to your Mom, it is not easy. You know her best I am sure, if she needs you-- be there, if she needs some alone time, allow her that. So many people think it is just an animal...but it isn't, it is your family, your friend, they love you and you love them. If you can do this without hurting, you don't need a pet. I will lift your Mom in my prayers, that she can do this with love in her heart, and soon be able to smile at the memories of Peaches. Big hug for Mom---

Kat

I know how hard this is, we had a similar situtaion in the spring. I know it is the hardest decision ever to put a pet down, but you must remember you are doing it out of love for them.

I held on for a long time with Mary, and finally realized I was being selfish. She was not living a good life anymore and I was trying to keep her with me. It was the hardest ever, but I do not regret it. I had to let her go to let her be free.

I am sorry. If you need to talk I am here. I have been there. :)

This just breaks my heart and it gets me choked up. I had a poodle, Andy, who lived for 17.5 yrs....I literally grew up with him. He was on lasix, laxatone, and baby aspirin. He was still eating and got around very slowly when he just stopped and fell over. I rushed him to the vet and he was closed. He died quietly in my arms. My entire family grieved. Then I had another poodle, Amos, that had to be put to sleep when he was only 6 or 7 yrs (can't remember for sure). He had a blockage in his bowels that couldn't be operated on since he was so small at 5 lbs. I held him and it was difficult, but it was the best thing for him.

I can relate to all of you that have shared your stories. Isn't it amazing how we can become so attached to our little fuzzy ones? I cried for an entire week when our cat, Toby, was hit by a car. I can't imagine my life without animals.