Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on 9 Aug! Yikes!!!

Hi all

I'm new to the site, and nervous about my procedure scheduled for 9 Aug. I'm interested in all the stories (good and bad) so I have an idea of what to expect.

I'm UK based so some things I say about the process we follow may differ to US, but its nice to be part of a support system outside of the ones provided on my programme.

I've been on this journey for a year which started because of breathing issues. The Dr's can't figure out the cause even after extensive testing so suggested (quite strongly) that it must be weight related.

I've agonised over the decision to have surgery as I really love my curves!!!! but my quality of life is so much more important to me.

I'm concerned about

Lose skin

hair loss

Finding a good Protein shake..... I'm lactose intolerant
sad.gif

Any advice is welcome and I need creative ideas on how to get the Protein in, in the early stages.

Current weight 111kg (244lb)

Hi curvy! I am August 8th myself. I am very excited! I have found some good Protein Shakes but they wouldn't work for someone lactose intolerant. In you add Biotin to you Vitamin regiment that is supposed to help with Hair loss. And my opinion is I would take lose skin over fat and not being able to breathe! I was starting to get winded myself.

WELCOME!!!!

The concerns you have are normal. I was terrified when I would think about having most of my stomach removed. You know what though, you don't need all of that stomach! It just allows you to eat yourself to death. I am so happy with my sleeve and I love being able to stop myself from mindless eating. Lose skin is just part of the process. I have horrible skin on my stomach (that I hope one day to have removed). I am able to wear Spanx to hold it in and so it's not so noticable under my clothes. I will take the lose skin to be able to wear cute clothes! hair loss will happen, but it grows back. I was never a big fan of Protein shakes. The only ones I could really tolerate was the Premiere brand. I am sure if you shop around you can find one that is lactose free. There is something called Bene-protein that I used for awhile to add to foods. It is tasteless. Maybe you could try that. Congratulations on this new chapter in your life!

Hi curvy! I am August 8th myself. I am very excited! I have found some good Protein shakes but they wouldn't work for someone lactose intolerant. In you add Biotin to you Vitamin regiment that is supposed to help with hair loss. And my opinion is I would take lose skin over fat and not being able to breathe! I was starting to get winded myself.

Thanks MeMeMEEE

I'm getting more comfortable with this by the day as its comes closer. Good luck with yours I cant wait to hear your stories and I promise to share mine. I will look for the Biotin when i next get out.

WELCOME!!!!

The concerns you have are normal. I was terrified when I would think about having most of my stomach removed. You know what though, you don't need all of that stomach! It just allows you to eat yourself to death. I am so happy with my sleeve and I love being able to stop myself from mindless eating. Lose skin is just part of the process. I have horrible skin on my stomach (that I hope one day to have removed). I am able to wear Spanx to hold it in and so it's not so noticable under my clothes. I will take the lose skin to be able to wear cute clothes! hair loss will happen, but it grows back. I was never a big fan of Protein shakes. The only ones I could really tolerate was the Premiere brand. I am sure if you shop around you can find one that is lactose free. There is something called Bene-protein that I used for awhile to add to foods. It is tasteless. Maybe you could try that. Congratulations on this new chapter in your life!

Thanks Becca i'm going to embrace this!

I'm so pleased the sleeve has worked well for you. I'm resigned to the fact i will need to remove the loose skin in a few areas in a couple of years, but i don't think i'll regret doing this smile.gif

I was sleeved on 8/1/11 so i have just started on my journey and I had the same concerns as you.

I feel better already, i am not achy when walking, my blood pressure is comming down ( this i know because when i take my meds my pressure drops)

and I have more energy.

I am praying that the skin isn't too bad. I have thick hair so i can take a bit of loss cause I know it will grow back.

I am also lactose intolerant, I drink sugar free carnation instant Breakfast for Protein, i have some of the pre made ones when im on the go and the powder i mix with silk milk (its a soy milk and I truly like the taste)

Hi all

I'm new to the site, and nervous about my procedure scheduled for 9 Aug. I'm interested in all the stories (good and bad) so I have an idea of what to expect.

I'm UK based so some things I say about the process we follow may differ to US, but its nice to be part of a support system outside of the ones provided on my programme.

I've been on this journey for a year which started because of breathing issues. The Dr's can't figure out the cause even after extensive testing so suggested (quite strongly) that it must be weight related.

I've agonised over the decision to have surgery as I really love my curves!!!! but my quality of life is so much more important to me.

I'm concerned about

Lose skin

Hair loss

Finding a good Protein shake..... I'm lactose intolerant
sad.gif

Any advice is welcome and I need creative ideas on how to get the Protein in, in the early stages.

Current weight 111kg (244lb)

I was sleeved on 8/1/11 so i have just started on my journey and I had the same concerns as you.

I feel better already, i am not achy when walking, my blood pressure is comming down ( this i know because when i take my meds my pressure drops)

and I have more energy.

I am praying that the skin isn't too bad. I have thick hair so i can take a bit of loss cause I know it will grow back.

I am also lactose intolerant, I drink sugar free carnation instant Breakfast for Protein, i have some of the pre made ones when im on the go and the powder i mix with silk milk (its a soy milk and I truly like the taste)

Congratulations i'm pleased to hear your procedure went well.

Thanks for the info i'll have a look for the Carnation one you've mentioned, i bet i'll find it online as i don't recall seeing that on our supermarket shelves here in the UK. I've been exercising and oiling my skin as much as i can so i hope i recover well.

Tell me how quickly did they let you bathe after surgery? Is there anything you wished you'd known before you went in? How much fluids are you managing to get in?

Hello and good luck on your surgery. I am also lactose intolerant and if you use a100% whey Protein isolate, it's lactose free. there are a lot of them out there, just look up "whey protein isolate and lactose free" on google and i found a lot. Good luck on your search and on the surgery!

Thanks for the well wishes and advice I'll check google whilst I'm online tonight to see what i can find.

Hello and good luck on your surgery. I am also lactose intolerant and if you use a100% whey Protein isolate, it's lactose free. there are a lot of them out there, just look up "whey Protein isolate and lactose free" on google and i found a lot. Good luck on your search and on the surgery!

Hi Curvy Girl,

My big day is on 8-9-11 too. I will be thinking of you and wish you the best of luck! This is a great site for support and answers. I look forward to sharing our journeys with each other. Good Luck!

Good luck Shell77!

How are you feeling, nervous or excited?

I've cleaned my whole house and prepared my kitchen by throwing away all foods I won't be able to eat (surprisingly there wasn't much to throw away) so i'll be able to fully rest on my return home

Hi Curvy Girl,

My big day is on 8-9-11 too. I will be thinking of you and wish you the best of luck! This is a great site for support and answers. I look forward to sharing our journeys with each other. Good Luck!

name='curvygirl68' timestamp='1312665616' post='190716']

Congratulations i'm pleased to hear your procedure went well.

Thanks for the info i'll have a look for the Carnation one you've mentioned, i bet i'll find it online as i don't recall seeing that on our supermarket shelves here in the UK. I've been exercising and oiling my skin as much as i can so i hope i recover well.

Tell me how quickly did they let you bathe after surgery? Is there anything you wished you'd known before you went in? How much fluids are you managing to get in?

Right now I am really excited and cannot wait for it to get here! Today I went food shopping and prepared some meals, for the few days I am in the hospital, for my children, 2 girls 4 and 9. I want to make it easy for the person who will be watching them while I am in the hospital and my husband & mom are with me.

Did you have to do the 2 week pre-op liquid diet? I am on day 13 and lost 15 lbs. :D I never thought I would have been able to complete it but I am one day away!! My Dr. said that this is the hardest part and I cannot believe it is almost over. I told myself that I will know if it is meant to be by whether or not I can do the pre-op liquid diet for 2 weeks. Well I did it, so it must be meant to be :)

I look forward to hearing how you make out and will be thinking of you. Our new lives begin very soon. Good Luck!

Good luck Shell77!

How are you feeling, nervous or excited?

I've cleaned my whole house and prepared my kitchen by throwing away all foods I won't be able to eat (surprisingly there wasn't much to throw away) so i'll be able to fully rest on my return home

You are so lucky only 2 weeks on the pre op diet! They make us do 4 weeks here in the UK. :(

I don't know how well I've done to be honest all the scales I tried said the same thing which I don't believe as I feel different. I'm going with my heart in my mouth that they feel I've lost enough to do the op. I'm around 244lbs so not one of heavier patients I've been told.

Have you got stuff for after the op? I don't have much in at all but I think its a good opportunity for me to get some exercise walking to the shops!