Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be a Body Listener - Not a Body Big Mouth

I can't tell you how many times I have read on the forum not to expect too much if you are over 50!! That is just nutty. My mantra is "Who's Universe is this?"

IF I buy into someone else's Belief System [bS], then THAT is what I am stuck with.

Hey--I was stuck in a rut before my WLS. Dr. Aceves told me before surgery in a 45 minute consulation about what to expect with the RESULTS from this surgery that HE would deliver 50% to me -- but the other 50% was up to ME.

10 words 20 letters

IF IT IS TO BE -- IT IS UP TO ME

No one is going to do this for you. NOW is the time to get into relationship with your body in a way that you never have done before. Learn how to be a Body Listener--not a Body Big Mouth. What do I mean?

I was told to TEST one food at a time. NOW just because suzy-q on the Forum can eat something post-op, does not mean that I can eat the same thing. So testing means I try to eat something--and if--my body says NO...then it is a NO.

• Don't try to override in your HEAD what your BODY is communicating to you.

I read about the number of people who are NOT losing, who have gained __# of pounds and are shocked, or they are throwing up all of the time.

To those people I would say to use a little SALT: Stop-Action ... Listen-Think.

Stop what HURTS, stop what makes you throw up, stop trying to be your old SELF, stop trying to be like someone else. Stop those Actions.

LISTEN to your body. Obey your body. THINK about it. THINK about what is no longer working, TEST it for yourself, Test it again and again if you need proof, and then BELIEVE what your body is telling you.

Are you using a food journal? IF so, this is a great place to post your discoveries.

For example, here we are in the middle of the summer and there are lots of BBQ's going on. Body Big Mouth wanted a BBQ'd cheese burger with dill pickles. So I tested. I ate 2-3 bites and the food was so HEAVY that I did throw up, then I had to sleep for a couple of hours to feel better.

But Body Big Mouth did not give up. I waited a week or two and I wanted what I wanted. Test it.

SSDD Same Stuff Different Day

I ate 2-3 bites and the meat was so HEAVY that I threw up, and then had to sleep for a couple of hours to feel better.

Now Body Big Mouth still wanted what I wanted, waited a week or two and decided to test it again. I ate 2-3 bites, the meat was so heavy that my body hurt. SSDD

Stop-Action ... Listen-Think

After three tests, notes in my journal, I realized that I was not being a Body Listener ... I was being a Body Big Mouth--I wanted what I wanted when I wanted it--I did not want the results that I was getting--my Ego was louder than my Body-Talk and I was not listening.

So back to being a Body Listener. Back to doing what works for my body.

I have lost 45 pounds in 90 days by realizing that Dr. Aceves gave me the vehicle for a new body.

Now I have to retrain my MIND and my MOUTH to be in relationship with my new vehicle. I need to know when to throw on the BREAKS and Stop-Action...Listen-Think. I have to understand that this is a journey of Self determination and my surgeon gave me the support that I need. He did all he could do--he did his part.

Now I have to do my part. IF IT IS TO BE -- IT IS UP TO ME

Be a Body Listener. Will you please post your thoughts on how you have become a body listener for yourself?

Here are my Before - After pictures [so far] on YouTubes

Fabulous post! I love it and it is SO RIGHT! Not only IF IT IS TO BE - IT IS UP TO ME. . . but also YOU MUST BELIEVE IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE. . . .this sleeve is not easy, you have to make it work. . . you have to work, not as hard, but just like before. . . you have to relearn and retrain. . . it's tough especially when you reach your goal. . . love you post and keep posting these very very inspirational posts!

Fantastic post with great insight. I was a body big mouth for sure and in being so my body revolted on me and said no way, you want to do this then take that! And boy did I. It is such a learning process for everyone in their own way but also the same in so many different ways. We all may have different reasons for doing this but we all know that in order to make the change happen, we have to use our tool and like you said .... IF IT IS TO BE - IT IS UP TO ME!

Thanks for posting.

Great information and great insight. I am still preop and your words ring so true. I am trying hard to retrain my brain and mind to small bites, longer eat times and SIPS not gulps. Hopefully it will help when i do get my VSG. Thanks again for the post and please keep them coming!!!!

Great, great great post!!! So true. I realized after losing to goal that in reality that unless I take control of my MIND and my mouth, I will regain weight! Feels so good to reach that goal that you NEVER thought you could reach and then you relax a bit! Becomes very easy to just relax and "let it slide!" lol

It is NOT a magic bullet and I was one of the lucky ones who lost weight quickly and without much effort on my part AND I was 56 years old!!!!

NOW, I just want to remain where I am - enjoy my life and be NORMAL! (If you know what I mean! ha!)

Good luck to all!!

YOU GO GIRL! HIGH FIVE!!!! You look fabulous :)