Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys,

I was sleeved one week ago and pretty much since day 2 or 3 I have felt hungry. Now I know it could be reflux and I've tried taking meds with no change. I can easily drink 250ml of Soup (that's a cup) or a Protein shake, and then still be hungry an hour later. I never have that full feeling that so many people speak about. Today I triied gulping a few sips of Water and I had no problem with that either.

I am really panicking that my sleeve has not worked.

I think about food all the time, wondering what I will have for my next "meal" which is still liquids anyyway. I really have to keep myself in check all the time and I just really did not expect this one week out from surgery - I was expecting to not want much to eat at all and to struggle getting food in.

I feel so disheartened that my sleeve may not have worked.

Breathe! Your sleeve works fine. liquids go right through. The fact that you're able to drink more than some folks just says that your sleeve is healing from the swelling, etc. faster than many--Celebrate that, since you won't have a problem staying hydrated!

You definitely need to take a PPI on a regular basis for a while--I was one who had no problem with reflux or acid prior to surgery, but after surgery, I got this strange gnawing feeling that I thought was hunger because it felt like it!! It wasn't--it was excess acid.

You'll begin to feel the restriction when you begin with food, I promise. You're evidently one of the lucky ones who has no issues with swelling or long-term post-surgical problems, which is GREAT! You'll definitely be able to tell a difference once you're on the PPI and also once you start mushies. Don't worry. Pretty soon you'll know what I mean. Best wishes to you!! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much Megin, it's so good to hear that it's probably normal biggrin.gif

I think I need to ring my surgeon and get a stronger antacid - I am taking Zantac, but only one a day and then not even everyday. When I was pregnant not all that long ago, I was taking THREE a day just to try ease the burn... so you're right, it may just be all the acid in my stomach.

Hope you're right about the healing too, lol... cool.gif

Thanks so much ffor your quick reply and kind words

Guess what? you are where you are supposed to be. Please read my other posts and view some of my video diary on YouTubes--Here is one link that will get you there.

Now I am not sure what sort of support you had from your surgeon, but the post I wrote today could be spot on for you, so just read that besides this reply please.

Starting right NOW, you are on a journey of discovering yourself. You just won the lottery, OK you may not feel that way NOW, but if you can get your HEAD into the game right NOW, you will go all of the way with no problem.

Become a Body Listener and stop being a Body Big Mouth -- that was my post's topic.

So what I see below is that you are testing things--good girl--write this info in your journal--keep testing.

My suggestion is that you stay liquid in the first 30 days. I lost 27 pounds in my first 30 days by staying on Isopure [from GNC] and then my next goal was to lose 10 lbs/month. I am 57 y.o. and this forum told me that I would be slow to lose because I was over 50. That is crap.

Take advantage of this first month and do your Soups, Protein shakes, Isopure Zero carb drink--why rush yourself back into foods?

You are at the T in the road. Your surgeon just gave you a 50% step up over everyone else in America trying to lose the weight--now the other 50% is up to YOU.

OF course you don't know what it means to have that full feeling...you are only 1-week into your journey. This feeling is not the same sort of feeling you have ever experienced. It is not like the pre-surgery FULL when you pigged out until you could have passed out. NO--this is NEW, this is foreign, this is something you don't know and try as we might like to help you--this is a self discovery process that will either HELP YOU or HURT YOU.

So one thing that I had to learn was to STOP GULPING and to allow my food or drink to slide down.

Don't eat in Bed. don't lay down after eating. Don't bend over after eating.

If you gave yourself permission to be in a Learning Curve and you shifted your panic to curiousity--you might enjoy this process.

The Hunger is in your HEAD--that is the place most of us had to address first and then we realize that you start your day with Protein. Feed your body for nutrition--not for taste in the beginning otherwise you will lose your hair, etc--Be MINDFUL right NOW about what you are doing and why.

Don't whimp out -- you have taken a very couageous step for yourself--NOW show up using that courage.

Courage + Curiousity would be two things that would be very very good for you.

I used Isopure shakes and Zero Carb drinks--that gave me 90 grams of protein/day. I drank 64 oz of fluids per day--to do this I juiced 1-lemon + 1-lime and added stevia as my sweetener--don't use SPLENDA--it triggers your insulin--I have done alot of research on Splenda and can send you more info, but for now, go natural: Stevia, agava,

I have several Soup video's posted on YouTubes. You can have alot of soup since it adds to your 64 oz's of fluids...but be mindful of your total calories for the day. You can really make big progress for yourself in the first 30 days if you pay attention to your intentions.

Good Luck--read my posts and watch my videos for some good ideas on foods.

Hi Guys,

I was sleeved one week ago and pretty much since day 2 or 3 I have felt hungry. Now I know it could be reflux and I've tried taking meds with no change. I can easily drink 250ml of soup (that's a cup) or a Protein shake, and then still be hungry an hour later. I never have that full feeling that so many people speak about. Today I triied gulping a few sips of Water and I had no problem with that either.

I think about food all the time, wondering what I will have for my next "meal" which is still liquids anyyway. I really have to keep myself in check all the time and I just really did not expect this one week out from surgery - I was expecting to not want much to eat at all and to struggle getting food in.

Thanks for sharing! This spoke volumes to me.. my blog post today was... "My Greatness" Figuring out what "my greatness" might be... exactly!

Thank you... :D

Guess what? you are where you are supposed to be. Please read my other posts and view some of my video diary on YouTubes--Here is one link that will get you there.

Now I am not sure what sort of support you had from your surgeon, but the post I wrote today could be spot on for you, so just read that besides this reply please.

Starting right NOW, you are on a journey of discovering yourself. You just won the lottery, OK you may not feel that way NOW, but if you can get your HEAD into the game right NOW, you will go all of the way with no problem.

Become a Body Listener and stop being a Body Big Mouth -- that was my post's topic.

So what I see below is that you are testing things--good girl--write this info in your journal--keep testing.

My suggestion is that you stay liquid in the first 30 days. I lost 27 pounds in my first 30 days by staying on Isopure [from GNC] and then my next goal was to lose 10 lbs/month. I am 57 y.o. and this forum told me that I would be slow to lose because I was over 50. That is crap.

Take advantage of this first month and do your Soups, Protein shakes, Isopure Zero carb drink--why rush yourself back into foods?

You are at the T in the road. Your surgeon just gave you a 50% step up over everyone else in America trying to lose the weight--now the other 50% is up to YOU.

OF course you don't know what it means to have that full feeling...you are only 1-week into your journey. This feeling is not the same sort of feeling you have ever experienced. It is not like the pre-surgery FULL when you pigged out until you could have passed out. NO--this is NEW, this is foreign, this is something you don't know and try as we might like to help you--this is a self discovery process that will either HELP YOU or HURT YOU.

So one thing that I had to learn was to STOP GULPING and to allow my food or drink to slide down.

Don't eat in Bed. don't lay down after eating. Don't bend over after eating.

If you gave yourself permission to be in a Learning Curve and you shifted your panic to curiousity--you might enjoy this process.

The Hunger is in your HEAD--that is the place most of us had to address first and then we realize that you start your day with Protein. Feed your body for nutrition--not for taste in the beginning otherwise you will lose your hair, etc--Be MINDFUL right NOW about what you are doing and why.

Don't whimp out -- you have taken a very couageous step for yourself--NOW show up using that courage.

Courage + Curiousity would be two things that would be very very good for you.

I used Isopure shakes and Zero Carb drinks--that gave me 90 grams of protein/day. I drank 64 oz of fluids per day--to do this I juiced 1-lemon + 1-lime and added stevia as my sweetener--don't use SPLENDA--it triggers your insulin--I have done alot of research on Splenda and can send you more info, but for now, go natural: Stevia, agava,

I have several Soup video's posted on YouTubes. You can have alot of soup since it adds to your 64 oz's of fluids...but be mindful of your total calories for the day. You can really make big progress for yourself in the first 30 days if you pay attention to your intentions.

Good Luck--read my posts and watch my videos for some good ideas on foods.

Hi there-

You should probably change to an omeprazole based acid reducer. Unfortunately, zantac is not going to do it for us. Prilosec, Nexium, or generic omeprazole pills (they are nice and small) is what you should take every morning and then wait an hour before you eat. Take one in the morning and one an hour before bed if you need to (I took 2 a day for about a month and then it got better). Also, you will have much better satiety when you start more solid foods. The liquids just run right through you :-)

Take care---

definitely an acid reducer (prilosec or generic) helps, and when you move to mushy foods and then solids, it gets WAY better!

:)

Thanks you ALL so much for your words of wisdom :-) MexicaliVSG, your words are inspiring. It's morning time here in Aus and my baby needs some attention, but I will go hunting for your posts when I have a chance.

I need to change my attitude from panic to gratitude and like you said, curiosity.

Really, it CAN'T be hunger, because I don't wake up in the night feeling hungry (like others I have heard of), I wake up feeling full and the hunger only starts once I start eating, so it must be acid, right? I think I need to give my surgeon a call for some anti-reflux meds. I wonder if he will just give them to me happily.

Thank you all again for being there and helping to make me feel better. Sending love across the ocean! :-)

I am 9 days post op and STARVING!!!!!!!!! I have been hungry (seriously hungry) since coming home from the hospital. Tomorrow I have been allowed to advance to mushies and I am beyond excited. I've never been so excited to see a black bean in my life!!!!! I agree that I things I will not have this terrible (headache inducing( hunger once I can get some "real" food in my stomach.

This posting was a blessing. I called my sleeve sister a little panicked earlier this evening because I find I can drink a good amount of Water much quicker than I anticipated (not gulping it just frequent sips). The constant reflux is a major drag and I too thought it was significant hunger pangs. So much to learn about this now that it's done. All of you are so wonderful to jump in and offer advice. I am two weeks out and feel so thankful to be able to come here and get feedback on just about any subject I need.

Hi Guys,

I was sleeved one week ago and pretty much since day 2 or 3 I have felt hungry. Now I know it could be reflux and I've tried taking meds with no change. I can easily drink 250ml of Soup (that's a cup) or a Protein shake, and then still be hungry an hour later. I never have that full feeling that so many people speak about. Today I triied gulping a few sips of Water and I had no problem with that either.

I felt the same way. I am now 3 weeks out and once I started eating mushies, I was shocked at how fast I got full. I had to remind myself with every bite to go reeeeeeeally slow because one bite can take you from hungry to okay to super full!! lol. I felt the same way on liquids though. I was very disheartened because I kept drinking Soup, eating Jello, drinking Protein shakes... nothing seemed to keep me full. Well that's because the liquids were just flowing right through :) You will notice the difference once you get to food. When I was on full liquids, I ended up having some refried Beans, mixed in a lot of enchilada sauce and just dipped my fork in it (to be sure not to eat any of the skins from the beans). It was SOOOO good. I ate about 1/4 cup and was stuffed. I was so relieved!! lol.

:)

Thank you for this post. I am 10 days post op. My doctor will not allow me to have blended foods until next week. I am on Protein Shakes and chicken broth. I came out of the recovery room hungry. I think I could eat the wall paper off of the wall. I can not wait until next week when I can have an egg and cheese.< /p>