Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie, slipped band, looking around

Hello everyone. I have been lucrking around since I found out my band has slipped. I was banded in 2009 and had steady weight loss. About 7 months ago I started having issues. I wont go into them becasue as far as I can tell well over half of you know what I am talking about. So my wonderful PA, Paul Marino, as a last ditch effort took some pictures (we thought it was a long list of other problems and not the band, I didnt have the classic slipped complications) And he almost fell over backwards when he saw the xray image. He was totally surprised. So we briefly discussed my options, remove, replace or revise to another procedure. Well I quickly said no to that! What??? You want to cut my stomach, thats not reversible?!?! How naive I was.!!! In the end you dont come out of the band without issues, scar tissue, damage to my vagus nerve......But then I did some true soul searching and I know that I have to have something. So I decided to check into the sleeve. I have a while to decide what to do. I am VERY impressed with the sleeve. I have been on this site, several times a day. I really want to be informed. I am learning a lot. I want to know the good, bad and ugly truth. So you may see me asking questions that you have answered a thousand times over, and I apologize ahead of time for that. thanks for anything you are willing to share with me. I have a long list of questions, but I will attack one at a time. I think I will start with recovery time. Such as how long did people take off? I am a CT Technologist and work in a outpatient office, so there really isnt lifting just a lot of getting up and down. I was back to work a week after my LapBand.

Thanks again, Melissa

I hope you get better answers than mine, but I am having surgery on a Wednesday, and I start back to school the following Tuesday. I'm a nursing student and my first day back has a rather long lab that morning, but it's not 8 or 12 hours of getting up and down, just four hours of standing and performing procedures on mannequins. (I won't be back to my clinicals until three weeks after my surgery- otherwise I would have put off surgery until our Christmas break.)

I have seen where some people only take a week off, and others take off three weeks. It's my understanding that since we're getting a revision, we'll be a little more sore than others who get this, but I don't imagine it's much worse than when we got the band.:D (I'm hoping so at least!)

Hi and welcome ! ! ! The sleeve rocks first off.

This is just my opinion so you can take it with a grain of salt.

The recovery from the sleeve is less painful, but more difficult in regards to getting fluids/protein in for energy. The fact that you're a revision it really will depend on what your stomach look likes when they get in there. Some people, even virgin sleeves, have hoards of swelling, well your body is going through essentially 2 in 1 surgeries. Also, take into account removing your port. If you have scar tissue around that area, or have any current pain, I can almost guarantee that spot will be tender much longer than any other incision for your revision. I'm over 2 years, and still have pain in that area at random times even after having hoards of scar tissue and adhesions removed from that area, not one, but twice in 2 separate procedures.

I would say most revision patients take off 2-4 weeks, some virgin sleeve patients can go back sooner. It is really individualized and will completely depend on how easily you can get your fluids in.

Best wishes ! ! !

Hi and welcome ! ! ! The sleeve rocks first off.

This is just my opinion so you can take it with a grain of salt.

The recovery from the sleeve is less painful, but more difficult in regards to getting fluids/protein in for energy. The fact that you're a revision it really will depend on what your stomach look likes when they get in there. Some people, even virgin sleeves, have hoards of swelling, well your body is going through essentially 2 in 1 surgeries. Also, take into account removing your port. If you have scar tissue around that area, or have any current pain, I can almost guarantee that spot will be tender much longer than any other incision for your revision. I'm over 2 years, and still have pain in that area at random times even after having hoards of scar tissue and adhesions removed from that area, not one, but twice in 2 separate procedures.

I would say most revision patients take off 2-4 weeks, some virgin sleeve patients can go back sooner. It is really individualized and will completely depend on how easily you can get your fluids in.

Best wishes ! ! !

I get to call myself a virgin?! Sweet! wub.gif

I myself had a very good result, My sleeve was by far the easiest recovery I have ever had from a surgery and I was back at my desk 5 days after surgery...

No complications and the weight is flying off I amd just about to go back for my six week appointment and i am down about 30lbs from preop weight...

I would say you will be able to tell how bad its going to be on the morning after surgery. I was up and dressed 5 minutes after they did my dye test.. In the car on my way home by 10:30am...

I slept the rest of that day and took it easy the next day, then sat through a 3 hour transformer movie the next day, doctor appointment on Monday and back to work the next Tuesday..

good luck!