Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck, sick, & tired

My 2-month surgiversary was on the 25th, the last day we spent hanging out in a rented villa in Tuscany with 2 other couples -- our friends & employees.

It wasn't as awesome as it sounds, sadly, since I spent the 2nd half of our week feeling too weak and tired and listless to do anything or even really go outside.

I'm still stuck at 283. That's where I was a month ago and I am honestly in shock. I'm not losing any more: I lost 25lbs quickly, in <3 weeks post-op, and then… nothing.

I'm sure at least part of it's my fault. Obviously I'm eating small amounts, vastly less than I did before, but when I'm tired, I can't bring myself to exercise. And I'm almost always tired… bone deep tired. For a while, I was playing tour guide to our visiting friends, taking them all over Austria, climbing up hills and castles and stairs and stuff, and occasionally dancing with my friend at night. With all this activity, I lost 2lbs. And then bounced right back up. Now I'm feeling incapable of doing anything and my weight is totally stable.

Right after surgery - when I was still losing - my sinuses were clear for the first time in ages. I could actually breathe through my nose at night. Then I got my period, and they clogged back up, and haven't opened up since. Then I got a gum infection. Then my period again. Then I got a sunburn (which is obviously my fault, but wow did it knock me on my ass). Then I started taking a decongestant to help me sleep at night, and it worked great for a few days and then it made me feel much worse. I quit taking it, felt less tired, but had 3 days of intestinal mutiny because of the rebound effect on my sinuses.

I'm so freaking tired of this.

Most days I wake up nauseous because my nose runs into my stomach at night. I can't drink Water on that; I have to eat a starch to make it feel better. I tried Protein - it just hurts. The starch fixes it so I can eat something, and prevents the intestinal cramping later on.

But I'm guessing that, with my luck, it's the starch that is making me not lose weight.

It would all be worth it if I was losing weight, but I'm not. It's the same 2-3lbs up and down for the past 6 weeks. Like I never had surgery at all.

None of these problems are CAUSED by the sleeve, by the way. I had them all before with a normal-sized tummy. But tho the physical restriction is definitely working, I'm not losing any weight, and I don't know what to do. My surgeon is no help. :(

*sigh*

I'd love some advice or words of encouragement. (Other than "food diary" - because I already have one and it says I'm in the 700-1000 range where I'm supposed to be.)

One thing you might try is to back up to liquids only for a few days. (Maybe 5 days) There is something referred to on this site and you can find it online called the five day pouch test. Then gradually start introducing solid foods back in. I am only 5 monts past surgery - I don't have near as much experience as some of the other regulars on this formum.

Best of luck to you. I will follow this topic to see what other ideas people have.

I am only 7 weeks out so my experience is limited. I can share that for me, the Protein intake has been a problem in that I developed a sensitivity to lactose and, it seems, to most shakes in general. I only found ONE that seems to work and I am sick of it. But I get it in!!!! The intolerance resulted in intestinal cramping, stomach gurgling and the runs. I also had low energy. I had the same issues with weight loss you describe. In fact, only just recently the scale moved a couple more pounds!!!!! I just focused on getting Proteins and fluids in, making sure I got my vitamines in as well. I also like juicing green vegetables in a juicer. My MD said low Protein results in low to no weith loss. Slowly I turned a corner. I've read that others get these types of stalls early on and that our bodies are adjusting. People on this board have helped me stay focused and not be discouraged sharing their own similar experiences. It appears to be a normal part of the process. Possibly some of us go through this part more than others. So don't be discouraged. It 's huge adjustment and it sounds you have lots of demands on your body. You've been through alot besides the surgery with the sinus issues etc. I bet you too will turn that corner soon. Focus on good nutrition and hydration and lots of rest. Sounds like your body needs it right now. I'm sure you will get to excercise and loosing more once you are fully healed. I'm sure others on this board will offer more, experienced advise as well so stay tuned! :-) Be well. We are all rooting for you!!!!!

First of all, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for everything that you're going through! How awful to be in such a cool place and to feel so down and out! I am hoping that you feel a lot better soon. As for me, I don't have much good advice because I'm only about two weeks out, but I just wanted to let you know that I hit a stall in WEEK 2!! I couldn't believe it, but the scale didn't budge for daaaaays. I was so frustrated, but it was TOM and eventually the scale moved again. Also, I wanted to share that someone recently suggested "shocking" your body back into weight loss by eating a few hundred more calories than you're used to, then cutting it back down immediately the next day. Maybe that might work to trigger your metabolism again? Thoughts and prayers are with you.

((((ahoy))))

Oh sweetie, you've had a lot going on! You need to not add to it by questioning or castigating yourself. You're not doing anything wrong, you're just having a big ol' stall. They SUCK, but they also END. The weaknes and tiredness is not at all unusual at two months out. I was just talking to a sleever friend and she said she really didn't start feeling really good again till six months out. So you are not doing it wrong! You're just going through the challenging times. Hang in there, it WILL get better.

Dee xx

I am a little further out than you. I had the same issue with the scales, but I did feel my clothes loosening up a lot. I think the 3 wk stall lasts a long time for some of us, and it can feel very discouraging. It lasted over a month for me but the lbs are now slowly beginning to drop. Sometimes they temporarily bounce back up even.

It sounds like you're staying really busy. When I am busier and on the go, i don't drink as much Water. This can cause a lot of the symptoms your describing. Even mild dehydration. It will also make your body hold onto Fluid.< /p>

Also, the B12 and multi are important to keep your energy level up. I hope things get better soon, wish I was there!

:)

I am concerned you might no be getting ENOUGH calories?? Honestly. Your body is probably "starved" and is holding onto your weight for dear life. Have you tried to up your calories to like 1000 to 1200?? its worth a shot!

I agree with KellyL's suggestions. Also, it seems like you might be experiencing a constant sinus infection which will cause your whole system to feel terrible, so no wonder you don't have the energy to exercise. I think I'd deal with that first, and then move on to worrying about your weight loss. If you feel terrible, it's incredibly hard to motivate to work out. If you start to have a little more energy, then I recommend SLOWLY working your way up. I started with 20 minute walks, and now i can work out for an hour and half at a go. It makes a big difference if you go slow and don't overtax yourself at the outset. I hope these suggestions help you!!! We are behind you!!!

Also, stalls DO happen, and I think almost all of us have experienced them at varying lengths. But, they are INCREDIBLY frustrating. Just know you aren't alone!

Have you measured yourself? Maybe you've lost some inches?

I haven't! I wished I had been doing it since the beginning. Why not? Welllll… this is a little embarrassing, but I don't know where to buy a tape measure in Vienna and neither does my Viennese husband. Shopping in Europe is nothing like in the US. Ha. I've lived here 3 years and still don't know where to buy basic stuff (and neither do most Viennese).

That right there is a big part of the reason I decided to move back to the US. Where I will promptly buy a tape measure, hehe.

One thing you might try is to back up to liquids only for a few days. (Maybe 5 days) There is something referred to on this site and you can find it online called the five day pouch test. Then gradually start introducing solid foods back in. I am only 5 monts past surgery - I don't have near as much experience as some of the other regulars on this formum.

Best of luck to you. I will follow this topic to see what other ideas people have.

SKCUNNINGHAM, I may do just that. It can't hurt, right? Thanks for the idea!

My MD said low Protein results in low to no weith loss.

mnbsleeve, thanks so much for your reply. You're so sweet!

And… I think you hit the nail on the head. I really wasn't getting enuff Protein on our trip. It was a lot harder to eat a lot of protein in a rental house with no sauce pans, no microwave, in a country that doesn't eat cottage cheese… and I definitely slacked off.

Now to rededicate myself to lots and lots of protein and see if that works!

First of all, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for everything that you're going through! How awful to be in such a cool place and to feel so down and out! I am hoping that you feel a lot better soon. As for me, I don't have much good advice because I'm only about two weeks out, but I just wanted to let you know that I hit a stall in WEEK 2!! I couldn't believe it, but the scale didn't budge for daaaaays. I was so frustrated, but it was TOM and eventually the scale moved again. Also, I wanted to share that someone recently suggested "shocking" your body back into weight loss by eating a few hundred more calories than you're used to, then cutting it back down immediately the next day. Maybe that might work to trigger your metabolism again? Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I might try the "shock" if it doesn't keep moving, thanks, DDA84 :) And yeah, we ladies get the short end of the stick, don't we? I can imagine it: a stall every month, forever. Heh.

((((ahoy))))

Oh sweetie, you've had a lot going on! You need to not add to it by questioning or castigating yourself. You're not doing anything wrong, you're just having a big ol' stall. They SUCK, but they also END. The weaknes and tiredness is not at all unusual at two months out. I was just talking to a sleever friend and she said she really didn't start feeling really good again till six months out. So you are not doing it wrong! You're just going through the challenging times. Hang in there, it WILL get better.

Dee xx

*sniff* Thanks, Dee. Your reply really made me feel a lot better. You're right, I need to chill out and admit that I'm dealing with a lot and not add to it by thinking it's my fault. I tend to be a "responsibility hog"… usually it's a good thing to believe everything is down to you, cuz it gives you power to change things, but not always.

SO… Today my stall broke and I woke up 5lbs down overnight. Really. Crazy. Crazy AWESOME!! Maybe I should complain more often!

(Either it was just time, or it was related to my dramatically increased Protein intake, and going from 1.75-2L water/day to 2.5-3L/day over the past 3 days. Either way, I'm thrilled.)