Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have You Been Sick...

Since you had the lapband, and if so, how was it? I know this is a wierd question but...I'm contemplating the lapbad and was curious as to what would happen if I had a stomach virus and needed to toss my Cookies? Would it just not come up? Would I choke?

:)

This haapened to me a few weeks ago and I slipped my stomach up through the band. I got to where I could not eat or drink and then I had to have all of my fill removed. I go back on Thursday to get a fill and hopefully my stomach as slipped back into place. The best thing to do is get an unfill if you are throwing up. Go that day or the next or you will most likely have problems.

I have had a Migraine that caused me to vomit. I was worried, but it was okay. I have since had my doctor prescribe phenergan incase that ever happens again.

This was also a concern of mine before being banded. The littlest bit of nausea for me sends me running for the bathroom and I can then heave for 5 - 10 minutes. I figured this is a slip waiting to happen so, like Mousecrazy, I keep some phenergan that my docotor prescribed for me around the house just in case.

We've had more gastro in this house than we ever had before I got banded, at least five bouts of it. Its been a terrible year in Melbourne for stomach bugs for some reason.

My oldest started vomiting after a party two days after I got home from hospital. I freak at vomit in the first place, I'd honestly rather face a firing squad than get gastro. I went straight to the doctor and got a script for some anti nausea pills which I took. I'm pretty sure I actually got sick but that they prevented vomiting - I was hot, clammy, feeling nauseous but it also could have been anxiety - I was absolutely obsessed with analysing whether I felt sick every second of the day. It also could have been a side effect of the pills. Anyhow, I was the only one in the family that didnt chunder multiple times.

Since then there's been another few occasions, but I havent caught it and havent needed to take the pills. I stop short at wearing a face mask when one of them's sick, but only just, lol!

I was really worried about this too and thought I was crazy for asking the question. Thanks for being weird with me.

I haven' been sick yet, but getting an anti-nausea drug on hand sounds like good advice. I love keeping ginger root close, but not too sure if ginger alone would be up to the task of a full-blown stomach flu...

Zofran (anti-nausea) is now available sub-lingually. You place it under your tongue and it dissolves in a few seconds and is essentially tasteless. The drawback is that it's very expensive but my MD gave me a Rx for 10 pills that I keep in case I do get a stomach flu.

I had my surgery Jan 27. I have lost 55 pounds so far. I have had some complications. A month or so ago, I was eating some meat that was too tough and got "stuck" I had extreme pain in my sternum and back. I threw up and ended up throwing up all night long with no relief. I finally fell asleep early the next morning. When I woke up, I was still in pain so I called the Dr's office only to get chewed out by the nurse there telling me that I shouldn't have thrown up because it could have slipped. I freaked out thinking that I was going to have to have surgery to remove the band. I went in to the dr. and they removed my fill. they sent me to the surgicenter to have a barium swallow and check to see if the band had slipped. thankfully, it had not. I haven't had a fill back because I continue to have pain at least once a week. I don't know what to do about it. I watch what I eat, but it just hurts so bad and the pain doesn't start right away, it usually is around 2 or 3 hours later. I am actually in pain right now. I thought I'd try and find out if anyone else is having this problem. It usually lasts anywhere from a couple of hours to all night long. I try not to throw up, but eventually I do. but it doesn't relieve the pain. i usually fall asleep from pure exhaustion. Sometimes I wake up and the pain is gone, other times it's not. Now, keep in mind that my band is empty - no fills in right now. can anyone help me?

Phenergran is an anti-nasuea medicine. It come in liquid, pills and suppositories. I keep phenegran and zofran on hand. I am sick now and have been since June (not band related) and have been on zofran for 23 days. It is expensive but works well. More information can be found at www.walgreens.com click on pharmacy and then medicine information, they are listed alphabetically. ~Mandy

Note of caution, I also love phenergen and keep it around because I am always getting a virus,the other nite I had one so bad I was actualy lying in the bathroom floor on a blanket close to commode. I took the phenergren suppository and then had diarhea, so worried that it had not been in but a second, i used another one ,I was determined not to slip my band, well the next thing i know I woke up in the floor with the 911 emts standing over me, I had a seizure and scared my poor husband to death. He called them. Guess what the side effects of too much phenergan is ,SEIZURES. The paramedics outside told all my neighbors that had gathered outside to see what the ambulance was there for that "The lady took too many pills and fell and hit her head."Talk about embarrassing .Oh well lesson well learned."

Yikes, Becky.. wow. Be careful! Phenergran is a very strong drug.

I would encourage all persons banded to carry some sort of anti-emetic or keep it on hand. That being said, I find it very interesting that in the 3 years of being banded, I have NEVER had those sick nauseous feelings I used to have when I hadn't eaten for long periods. (Knocking on wood here). I have not had one bout of stomach virus AT ALL, which is great! I used to have at least one round a year or so with some 24 hr bug and thankfully, since being banded I've avoided that. Don't ask me how.. perhaps it has to do with living alone and not being exposed?

I have, however, heard of numerous folks who've had severe bouts of vomiting and lost their bands due to severe slippage.