Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I rent a recliner

Hi All,

I am scheduled to have surgery on Aug. 8th.

I read in a post that having a recliner was very helpful, because it's hard to get in and out of bed. I was wondering if I should look into renting a recliner for 2 weeks? Can people tell me if they used a recliner or their bed after surgery. If you used both was one better than the other?

Thanks in advance,

Toyia

It's really up to you. I have a zero gravity chair that I used in the living room and I slept propped up in my bed.

I was really uncomfortable for the first few days only. Plus, I didn't try to sit to long because the more you walk, the better you feel. Good Luck on this awesome journey.

Nina

I slept in my bed even though I have a recliner. The bed was fine as long as I took my time getting in and out.

I had no problem getting out of bed. They told me in the pre-surgery counseling to roll to my side then put my legs over the side of the bed, push myself up with my arms and just sit there for a few moments then stand up. I have more trouble getting out of my recliner. Good luck.

I didn't have any problem getting in and out of bed, either. But, if it's affordable and easy to do, I suppose it couldn't hurt.

I slept on the couch for the week I was home after surgery. When I tried to lay in the bed it was very painful. It felt like everything was pulling. If you prop up with pillows on your couch I think you will be fine. Good luck to you!

I thought I was going to have a hard time sleeping laying flat in my bed, but it ended up being fine. I just rolled sideways and pushed myself up to get out of bed. That said, after my gallbladder surgery 3 years ago I would have killed for a recliner to sleep in for about a week afterwards. I ended up buying a wedge to put under my pillow to keep myself propped up. I think you should do what you feel will make you most comfortable after surgery. Even if you don't use it for sleeping in, recliners usually sit higher and that might make it more comfortable during the day.

Loved having a recliner...it was my happy place after surgery. I could get out of bed, but sleeping was really difficult those first couple of weeks in bed. Lying flat, I could not roll without waking myself up. Since I am a side sleeper, I was miserable since this was not a comfortable option no matter how many pillows I used to prop me up.

Wished I would have been smart enough to rent one...I borrowed one from a friend and LIVED in it. Even got some good rest in it. Not a mandatory item for recovery but a recliner, G2 gatorade and a heating pad made my life much easier.

Good luck on upcoming surgery!

I slept in the bed, but after a couple of hours I would wake up and be uncomfortable. I would get up (no problems there) and sit in the recliner for about an hour and then I could go back to bed for a couple more hours. This lasted about 5 days before I could sleep the whole night through in bed. I couldn't really sleep in the recliner (I'm a side sleeper who really needs to be horizontal in order to really sleep), so that was my compromise.

I, too, slept in a recliner some after surgery. I would get uncomfortable in bed and move to the recliner. I am glad I had one available to me. That, the abdominal support belt, and a heating pad were my best comforts after surgery.

Last night was my first night to sleep in my bed, and I'm now 16 days post op. I don't know what I would have done without my recliner, although it looks like a lot of people did just fine without it. I was so glad to get back in my bed, but I just couldn't do it before last night.

I was fine in my bed. I just made sure to remember that I could pop out of bed like normal. Also, I took my pain med as prescribed, which I think help tremendously.

I had my surgery on 7/7/11. I slept in my chair the first week becuase laying in my bed was too painful. My stomach felt terrible laying flat, pulling and stretching feelings all over the tender site.

I would say that you don't have to rent a recliner, but make sure you have somewhere else to sleep, like a chair or sofa, if the bed is too uncomfortable.

Hope that helps.

I slept in my bed. The recliner was ok, but it wasn't easy getting out of it either for me. The bed felt better, plus I used an extra pillow for support on my side. I would turn a little bit on my right side and put the pillow underneath my tummy, so there wouldn't be any tugging or pulling. Heck at first I stole hubby's pillow too and when laying flat had pillows on both sides. LOL

I have a very high pain tolerance, and (so far) have recovered very quickly from surgeries. With both my lap-band and agllbladder surgeries I slept in a recliner. I could get up/down, walk around, do stairs, etc. with no problems but getting in to bed was too uncomfortable until about day 4. Sitting up from the recliner hurt, but not nearly as bad as trying to lay in bed. On day 4 (maybe it was 3, maybe it was 5) after lap-band I slept in bed with several pillows propping me up, and a body pillow to support the weight of my pannus. After GB I slept in bed the 2nd night.

I'm not sure why the bed was so uncomfortable. The day after surgery I went walking around in Target, and went to GNC. The next day we took an hour car trip out of town and spent the day with my parents and I was fine. Pain levels all tolerable. Unless I tried to get into/out of bed.