Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor never heard of the Sleeve

So I went to my general practitioner doctor today for bloodwork and I told her that I was having weight loss surgery. And she said "you're having the bypass?" so I said no and she said "oh so the lap band" and I said no I'm having the sleeve. And she said "the what". So I explained to her what it was and she never heard of it. I realize she is just a general practitioner but I was surprised and I'm not sure how I feel now. Lol.

But I'm seeing her again in a few weeks for a physical so I think I will print out some information about it and bring it with me just so she can see what it is.

Is that weird or is this surgery so new that not everyone knows about it. It seems everyone I speak to knows the bypass and the lapband but i always have to explain this surgery.

I stopped saying "the sleeve or VSG', I now say "partial gastrectomy" and have not had any issues with any doctor, regardless of specialty, even my pharmacist knew what a gastrectomy was.

The word "sleeve or vertical" seem to throw people off.

Gastrectomies have been performed since 1800's. The sleeve has been performed as the first stage to RNY or DS for over 20 years. It only gained popularity in the last 7-8 years as a stand alone procedure. My PCP had never heard of it until I told him about my revision and that I needed a referral.

My PCP hadn't ever heard of it either. I literally had to bring in my scans that Dr. Aceves gave me so she can see exactly what I'd had done. Normally if the person hadn't heard of it I just give a general description, but I really wanted my PCP to know exactly what was going on with me since she would do all my medical care from that point. She was pretty amazed!!

It's probably a great idea to bring in some type of information on it to your PCP.

My pcp thought it was something they put over the stomach ( like a sleeve ) she was with a resident and after I told her what I was doing she started to explain it to the resident, and I just looked at her like WOW... Didn't bother to explain it to her because I plan on finding another PCP because she gave me such a hard time about getting weight loss surgery, and at my medical clearance visit she told me I was going to fail... I don't feel I need to educate people that treat me that way...

My OB had never heard of it, and I'm not sure about my PCP. I went to him AFTER I had been to my surgeon and when I talked to my PCP I was still thinking band, so he wrote a letter of medical necessity for the band. But then I changed to the sleeve and it was between my surgeon and my PCP so if my PCP did not know about the sleeve, I'm sure he learned a bunch after talking to my surgeon. :P

I wouldn't automatically DQ someone who is in the medical field who hasn't heard of the sleeve, because I think someone can be very good at their job and not know about all new technologies, etc. that are being used throughout the world. It doesn't make them necessarily a bad health professional. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks all. When I gave a brief explanation about the procedure she was good with it. But she has been very supportive of me having the surgery. So I think I will bring her info next time I go.

I agree with you, you don't have time for any negativity. I think those doctors need to read them medical journal they send them because I first read about the sleeve in one of those MD journal I found at my PCP waiting room, that was 5 months ago.

My pcp thought it was something they put over the stomach ( like a sleeve ) she was with a resident and after I told her what I was doing she started to explain it to the resident, and I just looked at her like WOW... Didn't bother to explain it to her because I plan on finding another PCP because she gave me such a hard time about getting weight loss surgery, and at my medical clearance visit she told me I was going to fail... I don't feel I need to educate people that treat me that way...

None of the doctors that I've seen since the surgery have heard of it.

My PCP had never heard of it either. She is very opposed to WLS anyway. She told me if I wanted the bypass she would not refer me or any patient in her practice. At that point I sort of glossed over what is was and tried not to be too informative as I did not know which way she would jump. She said if I could not lose weight without it... why would I lose weight with it? Because of that and other reasons, I switched PCP's. My current PCP is supportive of my decision to do this. Actually I think he is looking at me as a kind of guinea pig to see if he should recommend it to some of his other patients.

Khy

My PCP had never heard of it either. She is very opposed to WLS anyway. She told me if I wanted the bypass she would not refer me or any patient in her practice. At that point I sort of glossed over what is was and tried not to be too informative as I did not know which way she would jump. She said if I could not lose weight without it... why would I lose weight with it? Because of that and other reasons, I switched PCP's. My current PCP is supportive of my decision to do this. Actually I think he is looking at me as a kind of guinea pig to see if he should recommend it to some of his other patients.

Khy

Well if you are a guinea pig you will be a good one. :) I'm sure your Dr. will end up recommending the Sleeve to a lot of his patients.

99% of what GPs see is the same thing day in, day out. They have very broad, general backgrounds. Back when I had my lap-band, my GP had heard of it because some of her other patients had already had it done. Because of them, she wanted to read up on it and its stats, and she was actually pretty well informed when I talked to her (she thought it was great, was impressed by the numbers, actually explained to me a little more about the technical/medical side, etc.)

I would assume so many people know about lap-band & RNY now because they're in the media, and not unrelated - they're the "procedures of choice." From commercials to reality shows to dramatic series - I've seen RNY or lap-band on all of them, and I watch very little TV.

Funny enough, what I hear is usually wrong. E.g. "She had gastric bypass, which means there's a band around her stomach."

A good friend of mine is a GP. When I talked to her about the sleeve, she didn't know what it was and assumed it was some sort of a tube that was inserted into the stonach and "lined" it, like a reversed shirt sleeve. I also have a good friend who is an ER doc. She and I have talked about my band many times (I"ve actually been able to help her a few times when she's gotten "stuck" patients into the ER seeking emergency unfills). She knows I'm looking into the sleeve, and so far (knock on wood) isn't aware of any patients passing through her ER because of their procedure. :)

So I went to my general practitioner doctor today for bloodwork and I told her that I was having weight loss surgery. And she said "you're having the bypass?" so I said no and she said "oh so the lap band" and I said no I'm having the sleeve. And she said "the what". So I explained to her what it was and she never heard of it. I realize she is just a general practitioner but I was surprised and I'm not sure how I feel now. Lol.

But I'm seeing her again in a few weeks for a physical so I think I will print out some information about it and bring it with me just so she can see what it is.

Is that weird or is this surgery so new that not everyone knows about it. It seems everyone I speak to knows the bypass and the lapband but i always have to explain this surgery.

I think its a mix of the fact that its a newer procedure AND not many docs do it in the US compared to other forms of WLS. I am talking to my PCP on Monday. I may print some stuff out for my PCP as well.

Khy

Let me guess, your first PCP was about as heavy as a pretzel? I can't stand when ppl seem to think they know everything there is to know about being overweight! If you tell those type of ppl you have a medical reason for having such a hard time losing it it gets even better! I have a metabolic syndrome. Emotional eating helped me get where I am today but the metabolic syndrome has made it beyond easy to gain weight and insanely hard to lose it. Ppl are so ignorant I swear. It like they think we CHOSE to live like this. I am glad you switched PCPs NOBODY deserves to be downplayed like that, and from a doctor no less?? Was she out clubbing the day they taught bedside manner and compassion?<_< As you can tell I pretty much don't get along with docs. Most are in it for them $ and not the patient and it shouldn't be like that.

I don't think it's fair to say "most" doctors are in it for the $ and not the patient! I think you would find that is a vast minority. I know a lot of docs and I don't know many who went into it for the money; it's a hard way to earn money. However; like in all walks of life and all professions, some people are just a-holes.

I don't think it's fair to say "most" doctors are in it for the $ and not the patient! I think you would find that is a vast minority. I know a lot of docs and I don't know many who went into it for the money; it's a hard way to earn money. However; like in all walks of life and all professions, some people are just a-holes.

Well, I guess I have just had more than my fair share of a-holes then lol.In all my life I have had exactly one doctor that I liked and trusted who didn't turn around and make me suffer to make a buck. Most recent case being my former dentist. I had $3,000 worth of work on my teeth only to be in more pain than when I started. I finally realized that what he was doing is intentionally making mistakes to that he could turn around and work on the same teeth over and over. Thanks to him I am a 28 year old who is going to have to get dentures because the damage is too extensive..... and that's just the most recent.