Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doctor never heard of the Sleeve

It's not his speciality to know about the variety of bariatric surgeries so it wouldn't bother me. I agree the "sleeve" may be a casual term and not the medical term as I've had same issue.

i'm one week post and went to see my PCP because i was already schedule to see her before my VSG surgery and she wanted me to keep the appointment... since she was going to be providing my follow up care ... she has been my PCP for 3 yrs now and yesterday at my appointment she shared with me that she had WLS ... i never knew ... she always is so on me about taking better care of myself as far as my weight is concerned ... she had gastric bypass and she has never heard of the sleeve but was already very amazing at my results already ... she said my labs were looking good and i'm doing well ... and that she was proud of me ... she has seen first hand me lose 20 or 30 pounds just to gain it all back by my next 6 months check up .... anyway ... VSG still very new ... locally only one dr performs it and he charges 27, 000 self pay ...CRAZY RIGHT!!!!

What scares me the most is not that there are many PCP that do not know what the VSG is, it's that they have patients that are relying on those PCP for follow up care. I am so thankful that I have a dedicated circle of excellence center to work with me both pre and post op.

My PCP had never heard of it either. She is very opposed to WLS anyway. She told me if I wanted the bypass she would not refer me or any patient in her practice. At that point I sort of glossed over what is was and tried not to be too informative as I did not know which way she would jump. She said if I could not lose weight without it... why would I lose weight with it? Because of that and other reasons, I switched PCP's. My current PCP is supportive of my decision to do this. Actually I think he is looking at me as a kind of guinea pig to see if he should recommend it to some of his other patients.

Khy

In every profession there are those that are arrogant and ignorant. Too bad you found one that was both. Good decision getting the hell away from her.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!