Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would love to hear more about this subject!

• What type of surgery did you have?

Vertical Sleeve

• What was the reason you had the surgery?

Excessive weight over long period of time. Could not lose.

• What was your chief complaint that resulted in the surgery?

Too Fat

• How long were you suffering from the chief complaint?

All my life with the exception of a very short time when I lost a great deal of weight. (Short time meaning less than one half of a year)

• Was the surgery elective or medically necessary?

Elective

• What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery.

See Listing on my signature. Also add Dismotality of the Esophagus to that list.

• Were there any preoperative instructions?

Yes, I had to lose 30 lbs before my insurance would approve my surgery. I lost 41 lbs before surgery.

• Were there any preoperative issues or complaints?

No complaints or issues.

• What was the outcome of the surgery?

Wonderful. I am eight weeks out today and I couldn't be more pleased.

• Was there a post operative visit? If so, how long post op?

Yes, at two weeks. I also have a three month appointment scheduled.

• Were there any post operative complications/

NONE - Absolutely NO complications. The next day after surgery I was up and going. You would not know I had had any surgery at all. (Note: I am 63 years old with NO medical issues.)

• Was there any additional follow-up that has or will take place?

Yes, The nurse called me six days after my surgery to see how I was doing.

Hope this helps. However, I believe my situation is an unusual situation. I know there are many others who have had some complications etc. I just feel very fortunate to be so healthy and so happy with the outcome.

• What type of surgery did you have? I will be having the sleeve on this friday.
  • What was the reason you had the surgery/ I am having due to health reasons. I am 33 with 3 active kids and I want to be more in their lives. I have family history of type 2 diabeties. I currently have high blood pressure and high cholesterol
  • What was your chief complaint that resulted in the surgery? do not have one at this time because I am pre op the pre op liquid diet sucks!!
  • How long were you suffering from the chief complaint? the diet is 5 days pre op
  • Was the surgery elective or medically necessary? Medically necessary Full Paid From Cigna Insurance
  • What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery/ BMI, Ekg, chest xray , blood work up
  • Were there any preoperative instructions? pre op diet
  • Were there any preoperative issues or complaints? pre op diet
  • What was the outcome of the surgery? hopefully a weight loss of 80lbs plus current weight 230
  • Was there a post operative visit? If so, how long post op? 6 days for drain removal, 1 mth , 3mths 6mths, 1yr, 11/2 yr
  • Were there any post operative complications/ hope not
  • Was there any additional follow-up that has or will take place? look above

Thank You Golfbuddy98 for your response, you've been very helpful! I wish you the best of luck on Friday and forever thereafter. Bernie

• I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and a Hiatal Hernia repair
  • What was the reason you had the surgery/
  • Obesity
  • Obesity
  • All my life, but particularly the last 15 years excess weight was more difficult to lose with diet and exercise
  • Elective
  • What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery/
  • Blood chemistries, urinalysis, EKG, chest X-ray
  • No food/drink after 10 pm
  • No
  • Weight loss of more than 62 lbs in six months
  • Post op labs were done at 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months by PCP, not surgeon
  • None
  • Labs every three months until month 12; then yearly if everything is okaythank

Thank you so much Foxbins for your reply, you have been very helpful! Congratulations on your more than 62lbs weight loss and keep up the good work! Bernie

• What type of surgery did you have? I will be having vsg on 9-22-11
  • What was the reason you had the surgery/ I will be having the surgery because Im obese.
  • What was your chief complaint that resulted in the surgery? n/a , however, I fear death of surgery, and a staple coming loose and damaging another organ.
  • How long were you suffering from the chief complaint? n/a
  • Was the surgery elective or medically necessary? This surgery is elective. In fact, I don't qualify for insurance to pay (bmi is too low and I haven't other medical issues due to weight yet), so I am paying for the surgery.
  • What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery/ None
  • Were there any preoperative instructions? Yes, lacitive 3 days prior, and a 3 day liquid diet. 12 hours before surgery, zero to drink or eat.
  • Were there any preoperative issues or complaints? no
  • What was the outcome of the surgery? tbd
  • Was there a post operative visit? If so, how long post op? n/a
  • Were there any post operative complications/ n/a, I do expect there to be some complications. I have Chron's and I think the pain from the surgery may trigger it.
  • Was there any additional follow-up that has or will take place? n/a

I hope I was of some help.

Yes, Shoppingbeemom, you were a great help - Thank you! Good luck to you on September 22 and every day after that. Stay positive... Bernie

Thank you so much for the response LVikingFan - especially so soon after your surgery! Congratulations on the 35lbs lost and keep on keepin on! Bernie

Bernie, all good questions but to get the real spectrum of WLS, I think there should be more questions you should be asking. I am sure you will get plenty of answers from the great peope on this forum on your listed questions. I have listed a few below if you want to branch out, just a recommendation.

1. Why so many insurance companies do not cover WLS and our experience with them.

2. Why many people choose to self-pay and go to another country to have the surgery.

3. Why an insurance company will not approve many people that have Diabetes, High Blood Pressure and High BMI, many companies do not consider this medically necessary and would be considered "elective" on your #5 question.

4. Why some view surgery as "an easy way out", which it is not, the surgery is simply a tool.

There are many people on the forum and had the surgery for a lot of different reasons. To lose the weight, of course but to change their lives and for medical reasons.

Good luck on your paper.

Thank you so much for your response kemo46! You're were right in saying that I would get a lot of great answers from a lot of great people. I agree that surgery is not the easy way out - in fact, it is most usually the very last thing people would opt for if given other options that would work. Congratulations on your current weight loss of 53lbs and I wish you continued success. also, thank you for the additional questions. Bernie

Thank you so much for helping me out Nancy Rivers - you have been a big help! Congratulations on your 16lb weight loss in the past to weeks and the best of luck to you in reaching your goal. Bernie

I had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Obesity, High blood pressure, diabetes.

Obesity, High blood pressure, diabetes.

Since about the age of 9. I have lost and regained the same 100lbs 4 times in the last 15 years.

Was the surgery elective or medically necessary?

Elective

• What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery/

Blood chemistries, urinalysis, EKG, Upper Endoscopy, Upper G.I.

No food/drink after 10 pm the night before surgery and I was made to lose 25lbs pre-op.

No

I was sleeved 11 weeks ago and have lost 40lbs and 95lbs overall.

Yes. I had first follow-up at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, then once a year for life.

• Were there any post operative complications?

None

Labs every 6 months.

Thank you kellyw74 for helping me out with my paper. Congratulations on your 95ibs overall weight loss - that's incredible! I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal. Bernie

Vertical Sleeve

Excessive weight over long period of time. Could not lose.

Too Fat

All my life with the exception of a very short time when I lost a great deal of weight. (Short time meaning less than one half of a year)

Elective

• What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery.

See Listing on my signature. Also add Dismotality of the Esophagus to that list.

Yes, I had to lose 30 lbs before my insurance would approve my surgery. I lost 41 lbs before surgery.

No complaints or issues.

Wonderful. I am eight weeks out today and I couldn't be more pleased.

Yes, at two weeks. I also have a three month appointment scheduled.

NONE - Absolutely NO complications. The next day after surgery I was up and going. You would not know I had had any surgery at all. (Note: I am 63 years old with NO medical issues.)

Yes, The nurse called me six days after my surgery to see how I was doing.

Hope this helps. However, I believe my situation is an unusual situation. I know there are many others who have had some complications etc. I just feel very fortunate to be so healthy and so happy with the outcome.

Yes, nraeh, your response was most helpful - thank you. Good job on the 41lbs lost prior to surgery and congratulations on your success thus far after the surgery. I'm so glad you are happy with the outcome, i know it makes a huge difference in recovery and future success. I wish you luck in reaching your goal! Bernie

Bernie -

Here are my responses to your questions

1. What type of surgery did you have? gastric sleeve
  2. What was the reason you had the surgery? severly overweight - want to start a family
  3. What was your chief complaint that resulted in the surgery? gas pain in the abdomen after surgery
  4. How long were you suffering from the chief complaint? 2 days
  5. Was the surgery elective or medically necessary? elective
  6. What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery? blood tests, xrays, EKG
  7. Were there any preoperative instructions? 3 weeks high Protein diet to try to make liver healthier
  8. Were there any preoperative issues or complaints? none
  9. What was the outcome of the surgery? successfull weightlos
  10. Was there a post operative visit? If so, how long post op? 12 days
  11. Were there any post operative complications? no
  12. Was there any additional follow-up that has or will take place? not so far

• What type of surgery did you have? VSG
  • What was the reason you had the surgery/ Weight/ Diabetes
  • What was your chief complaint that resulted in the surgery? Obese/Health
  • How long were you suffering from the chief complaint? Weight, about 20 years.
  • Was the surgery elective or medically necessary? Insurance will always say elective, I say medically necessary.
  • What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery/ Blood work, EKG, Scope, The rest depends on patient history.
  • Were there any preoperative instructions? Yes.
  • Were there any preoperative issues or complaints? No, just different being on liquid diet.< /span>
  • What was the outcome of the surgery? Fantastic, 53lbs down 2 months after surgery, that included pre-op diet.
  • Was there a post operative visit? If so, how long post op? No, had my surgery in Mexico.
  • Were there any post operative complications/ None at all.
  • Was there any additional follow-up that has or will take place? I will be seeing my PCP for my 3 month Blood work up.

1. What type of surgery did you have? - VSG
  2. What was the reason you had the surgery? - I was taking 20 pills a day for various co-morbidieties: T2 Diabeties, High Blood Pressue, High Triglycerides, Kidney problems
  3. What was your chief complaint that resulted in the surgery? I have no complaints with the surgery, it is doing what is expected because it is a tool for us to use. My complaint is my own discipline to stick to a steady diet.
  4. How long were you suffering from the chief complaint? Still am LOL, back on the "wagon" again, so we'll se how it goes
  5. Was the surgery elective or medically necessary? both
  6. What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery? blood work, body scan, pylori test, phsych test, nutritionist, physical therapist.
  7. Were there any preoperative instructions? My doc wouldnt see me until I was 90 days smoke free and a 2 week liquid diet
  8. Were there any preoperative issues or complaints? I didn't want to quit smoking and the liquid diet was hard at first but I understood why it was needed.
  9. What was the outcome of the surgery? I am only on 2 prescription pills a day now and that is because my triglycerides are a hereditary trait, not because of my diet.
  10. Was there a post operative visit? If so, how long post op? 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 month
  11. Were there any post operative complications? I had internal bleeding and was throwing up blood for two days
  12. Was there any additional follow-up that has or will take place? Just the post - op doc visits

Hi VerticalSleeveTalk community! My name is Bernie and I am a surgical technology student. I have to write a paper on pre and post operative surgery experiences with information obtained from a blog. Would anyone be willing to help me out by answering a few questions? I would greatly appreciate it!

I don't know if you are still interested in this topic, but I have made an observation. The people traveling for surgeries in Mexico usually have no post-op follow-up in Mexico. So if you are uninsured, there is not medical follow-up unless you pay out of pocket in the US. Could be a problem for a lot of folks down the line.

You can be vague or general, or a combination of both. You can answer each individual question or put in paragraph form – I'm fine either way - I don't want to take too much of your time. Thank you again!

1. What type of surgery did you have?
  2. What was the reason you had the surgery?
  3. What was your chief complaint that resulted in the surgery?
  4. How long were you suffering from the chief complaint?
  5. Was the surgery elective or medically necessary?
  6. What treatments or diagnostic tests were done prior to surgery?
  7. Were there any preoperative instructions?
  8. Were there any preoperative issues or complaints?
  9. What was the outcome of the surgery?
  10. Was there a post operative visit? If so, how long post op?
  11. Were there any post operative complications?
  12. Was there any additional follow-up that has or will take place?

Jim Boston

43 years old

Males

Married

3 children Grown

Computer Aided Draftsman

1. Lap Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

2. To lose weight and improve lifestyle and live longer...

3. Diabetes/ High Blood Pres/ Multiple Knee Surgeries/ 474lbs max weight

4. Knees 15 yrs, the rest about 2 years.

5. Medically neccessary to eleviate comorbidities / considered elective by insurance company

6. EGD scope

7. 14 days of Low Carb Diet to Shrink Liver

8. No

9. lost 30 lbs, stopped all diabetes medications, high blood pressure gone...

10. Yes, 2 weeks

11. No

12. Every 6 weeks for 1 year