Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm 5 days Post Op and I'm doing well with my recovery but it seems like my tastebuds are broken after surgery. I used to LOVE Water...I mean LOVE IT! Drank well over 8 cups a day and loved the taste. Now that I'm on the other side of the surgery, things taste totally different. Especially Water. It doesn't taste the same at all. It tastes bland and almost bitter at times. Right now I'm sticking to juices and gatorade to get liquids in but I'm sad that water doesn't taste good.

Any ideas when tastebuds go back to normal???

Hey,

I've had a weird taste in my mouth since starting the pre op liquid....weird...looking forward to your answers! Tracy fellow July 21st gal!

I had my surgery on 7/12 and I did have the same issue you did with Water (and other things). Today at exactly two weeks out my tastebuds are pretty much back to normal except that I am even more sensitive to bitter things than I was already. Everything else seems like it is the same as it used to be.

Dunno what causes it. It's weird.

LOL... mine was the opposite. I never used to drink a lot of Water. NOW I love it and cannot stand juices. I bought a bunch of the small bottles of G2 - they actually made me gag. I ended up giving them away. I've noticed a change in the way foods taste too. I tried a container of yogurt and all I could taste was the artificial sweeteners. I tried different Soup broths and all I could taste was the potato starch in them. I guess it's not a bad thing, but it just makes every bite an adventure. lol.

SO SORRY about the Water thing!

I went through that to. I still find certain things taste different or weird. I still can't eat SF pudding as it tastes too salty to me. My surgeon said that is to be expected. Also food that I once enjoyed I would probaly find horrible. (which I do) So its just a learning curve. Finding food that you can eat and tolerate.

Deb

So I'm 5 days Post Op and I'm doing well with my recovery but it seems like my tastebuds are broken after surgery. I used to LOVE Water...I mean LOVE IT! Drank well over 8 cups a day and loved the taste. Now that I'm on the other side of the surgery, things taste totally different. Especially Water. It doesn't taste the same at all. It tastes bland and almost bitter at times. Right now I'm sticking to juices and gatorade to get liquids in but I'm sad that water doesn't taste good.

Any ideas when tastebuds go back to normal???

I feel for you. I also LOVED water before surgery. Now, I can't drink it plain. It tastes so strong and harsh to me now. I have to flavor it with crystal light or lemon juice to drink it now, if I do this I can get in 80 or 90 ounces a day. I am 9 weeks out and still can't drink it plain. I hope I eventually go back to loving plain water. I am sad about it also.

Same here. Nothing tastes the same, it seems. But, of course, I used to take huge bites and immediately stuff another in, so, things should be different, I suppose. Liquids also taste different, but again, I drink far smaller gulps now. It is an adventure, for sure, but I am willing to keep pushing on!

I know what you mean. My taste buds have changed too. I use to add things to my Water, now I can't stand it. Plain Water taste best to me. Crystal light or even Stevia flavors are way to sweet for me.

I guess we will see how the next few months will change...or will they?

While you are in the liquid stage...especially clears - you have that "fasting" mouth. Icky breath, coated tongue...it's just not pleasant and your sense of smell becomes very acute. We really "taste" with our noses more than we know, so everything is wacked for a while.

Many of us deal with this. I have found many things that I used to love that I no longer can stand and some things I disliked before I now love. Like bacon. Hated it before, not I want it all the time ;) I cannot stand juices anymore either, things are much sweeter to me now too and I can't handle them.

While you are in the liquid stage...especially clears - you have that "fasting" mouth. Icky breath, coated tongue...it's just not pleasant and your sense of smell becomes very acute. We really "taste" with our noses more than we know, so everything is wacked for a while.

I'm glad you said this, because for the last week I thought I was going crazy. My tongue is coated too even though I brush my teeth and tongue several times a day (and when I look at it in the mirror it's greenish/yellow in the middle), I have a constant sweet taste in my mouth too, probably from the Protein shakes, crystal light.... everything is so sweet. Water tasted awful to me too at first, but if I drink it loaded with ice and very cold I can drink it down (a few sips at a time). My mouth is also very flemmy.... always having to spit out all this thick flem. Have you had this problem too? I am 2 weeks post-op tomorrow..... I start mushies on Friday. I can't wait to start having some sort of normal diet. Please tell me this sweet taste in my mouth will eventually go away...

Also, I don't seem to be peeing very much, so I'm hoping I'm not dehydrated. My first appt with surgeon post op is this Tuesday so I'm definitely going to mention it to him. I must not be getting all my fluids down, even though I'm sipping all day long it seems.