Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to eat one week post op???

Hi everyone!

I am a week out from surgery and I am kind of wondering how many ounces of liquid broth and Water or gatorade I should be intaking by now? I understand each doctor is different but I was wondering...and I wanted to know what other Soup or warm liquids I could try so I feel like I am not eating. Also, what is a good starter menu for full liquids...how much to eat??

Thanks in advance!

I was on "full liquids" the day after I came home from the hospital. Essentially I was told cream of wheat (strained), cream Soups (strained), SF pudding, SF Gelatin, and SF ice pops. Somehow in my stupidity this translated to only cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, etc. Finally I got online and read "anything that is liquid at room temperature" (Livestrong.com) and a whole new world opened to me. I went from hoping to just sleep until this phase was over to feeling part of the real world again. Yesterday (1 week post op, my first full day back to work) the girls were going to Bob Evans so I had their potato Soup (strained of course) and those few bites were heaven! Normally I would think it was too many calories/carbs but since I've been eating so little that I'm dizzy in the shower I knew it was appropriate for me at that time. Today I'm putting some Tomato juice and chili powder in my tiny slow cooker for dinner. My hubby is worried about the spices but I don't make mine very spicy at all! We'll see how it works. We're going to my dad's next week and my step mom LOVES my white chili so I plan to make some for them and have some of the broth myself. I'm looking for any other ideas as well!

You should be aiming for at least 64oz of Water a day (it takes a while to get there). Anything that is liquid at room temperature is fair game for the full liquids stage. You could even thin things like cream of wheat and pudding if it is too thick. Your surgeon or dietician should have given you some guidelines for what they want you to be eating.

Thanks Inprogress! I was like you too...eating clear liquid broth and it was becoming a pain and a bore. I decided to get some creamy Soup and at least feel like I was eating something. I cant do Water or liquids and work a full day. If you like olive garden Soups go and get their creamy chicken soup...forgot the real name but they will know exactly which one...and ask them to strain out the other stuff. I ended up buying a large 6 serving bucket full. I will def try some other things like oatmeal since now I am able to do full liquids. I was just getting super bored..good thing its only for one week. I am also trying to drink but not forcing myself to drink loads of liquid. It still hurts to gulp so sips of liquid esp. gatorade is my best friend right about now.

Nancy- I did get diet instructions but it is very basic and im sure more people have figured out more ways to feel " normal " during the liquid process so I figured I would ask for some ideas.

Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Yeah my instructions were rudimentary as well. Today I got some clarification at my doctor's appointment and unfortunately they vetoed oatmeal for me until next week. I do get to start on mushies Monday though so I'm pretty psyched. I don't want to eat more - just more variety. Still, with the addition of my strained "regular" Soups, I'm thrilled!

Well at least you can get to mushy foods soon. I am not hungry still, but I do think of food at times. Yes I am looking forward to getting a variety of foods in. I am happy to have Soups that have flavor and some substance. Do you wait the time between drinking and eating the soups yet?? I am not doing that yet so just wondering if anyone else is. Also, do u drink Protein shakes as of yet?

My soups/broths are usually 6-8 oz. I may take me an hour to finish them, but that is what I drink. Same with my Protein drinks. Then the rest of the day I drink Water. You probably will not fill that restriction yet, I know I don't since its just liquid. Now I do feel it I drink to much at once or to close together. But only for a moment, then its gone.

What do you mean by wait the time? I wait at least 30 minutes before and after before I drink. I got an app on my iPod that has reminders so I set it to go off every hour during the day to remind to either eat or drink and I also get up and go to the bathroom, copier, something to move a little. I also have a Vitamin reminder set up. It's been a lifesaver. I drink 42 gram Protein "shots" and try to add protein to other stuff as possible. That's another big reason why I'm excited about mushies - protein from actual food!

My doc says I'm supposed to have about 60g of Protein a day. My powder is 20g a scoop 6 days post op and I'm only able to get 1, or 2 down at the most even tho its mixed with 6oz of liquid. I just don't drink because I'm not hungry and the stuff I can drink is gross and bland bc I'm still on Clear Liquids.< /p>

My doc says I'm supposed to have about 60g of Protein a day. My powder is 20g a scoop 6 days post op and I'm only able to get 1, or 2 down at the most even tho its mixed with 6oz of liquid. I just don't drink because I'm not hungry and the stuff I can drink is gross and bland bc I'm still on clear liquids.

My Doc didnt have his patients startig Protein Drinks until day 10 unless you are hungry. I work in the hospital so im always on the go...that is y i do broth and Jello as well as drink my gatorades. I have to get something other than liquids or I'll get light headed. Good thing I am not actually hungry. Its nice to eat for nutrients than for pleasure. I still cant finish all soups...tomato Soups are harder than creamy chicken Soup so I can only handle sips of that one. I also do feel some restriction from thicker liquids like milk for a little it scares me a bit so I stop when that happens and give it a rest for a while. For me full liquids doesnt add much to my diet unlike some other paients. Ha ha, I was looking forward to it and then I saw that it didnt add anything other than milk HA!! lol...I wish I could be rid of the looe bowel movements. That I could do without!!!