Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm on regular diet and have been since the first week of july. I had my surgery on june 11. I read the forums and people are able to take in over 70 grams of Protein and 64 oz of Water a day and are able to keep the carbs less than 30 grams a day. I was told it was better to get most of my proteing from food and not the shakes. The problem is I can't get more than 30- 40 grams of protein (if i'm lucky) and 30 oz of water a day. It take me so long to eat, I keep pushing back when I can drink and then i forget to drink. I'm worried about muscle loss and dehydration. I'm feeling overwhelmed.

I've tried greek yogurt and cottage cheese but did not like them. I have been good making sure i eat 2 to 3 times a day. what foods have high protein and low calorie beside meat.< /p>

thanks for your help.

Try the Greek Yogurt in a smoothie. It hides the taste a bit. I like to use 1`/2 C. yogurt, 1/8 C. OJ, 2 strawberries, and a couple of tablespoons of Splenda. Blend it up and try it. It's 10 grams of Protein. I prefer Fage 0 brand.

Here are some of my fav high Protein foods that are not meat:

Low fat cheese sticks. They have 8 grams of protein in 1 stick and 60 calories.

Baby Bell Lite cheese, which has 6 grams of protein.

Anderson's Split Pea Soup with bacon has 10 grams of protein per cup. I ate 1/2 cup for lunch for 5 grams of protein.

Dennison's 99% fat free chili has 20 grams of protein per cup. I eat 1/2 cup for 10 grams of protein.

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein powder. It's 20 grams of protein per scoop.

I don't care for eggs, but they are a good source of protein: 6.3 grams in a large egg.

I am lactose intolerant, but if you are not, non-fat milk has 8 grams. I use Plain Soy Milk, which has 7 grams.

I don't like adding unflavored protein to my food. I can taste it and I don't like that. But if you can tolerate it, it's an easy way to up protein in many foods.

Lynda

I'm on regular diet and have been since the first week of july. I had my surgery on june 11. I read the forums and people are able to take in over 70 grams of Protein and 64 oz of Water a day and are able to keep the carbs less than 30 grams a day. I was told it was better to get most of my proteing from food and not the shakes. The problem is I can't get more than 30- 40 grams of Protein (if i'm lucky) and 30 oz of Water a day. It take me so long to eat, I keep pushing back when I can drink and then i forget to drink. I'm worried about muscle loss and dehydration. I'm feeling overwhelmed.

I've tried greek yogurt and cottage cheese but did not like them. I have been good making sure i eat 2 to 3 times a day. what foods have high protein and low calorie beside meat.

thanks for your help.

I had trouble with cottage cheese eating it plain. I would add one or two tablespoons of mashed potatoes and some salt and pepper to it to make it taste better. It is only a couple of spoons of potatoes so you should not have to worry about too many carbs.

String cheese for a snack gives you a 5 g protein boost, tuna with mayo and dill pickle relish was another favourite of mine (not sure if you consider fish a meat).

Glass of milk and add a scoop of powder milk to it to boost the protein. Plus you can count the glass as a Fluid.

Peanut Butter sometimes I would take a spoon and eat it right off the spoon. Any nut butter for that matter.

Are you a vegetarian? Or does meat bother your stomach?

Tuna- 2 0z has 14 g Protein

Boca Burgers -14 g Protein, I love the Flame Grilled

Egg Whites- 12 g protein in 2 egg whites

Salmon- 21 g protein in 3 oz I get the Starkist Salmon Filet in the pouch

cheese Crisps 12 g protein in 1/2 recipe You can find this in the recipe forum.

I hope you find this helpful!

Mina - I AM RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE AND WE HAD THE SURGERY AT THE SAME TIME!

I don't even like eating solids because they feel so weird. String cheese does melt in your mouth and the spoonful of Peanut Butter does go down easy. 64 oz of Water is like drinking a pool. I feel like the food sits longer in our tummy than others. I remember thinking that before the surgery. I would eat a big meal and not eat until the next day. The food would just sit there for hours. I maybe take three bites of something and I just can't eat anymore. So what am I going to do? I HAVE NO CLUE! I am just hoping that in a couple more weeks things will be different. The protien drinks I drink have 15 grams per drink which is 8oz and they are fruity and good. So if i can get 3 in a day that is 45 grams. So I think I am going to eat a piece of string cheese for Breakfast. Then once I am at work for the next three hours I am going to have 3 drinks. So I am already at 50 grams of protien by lunch. Then once all the Fluid has cleared I nibble on chicken/tuna salad for the next three hours. once that has cleared I drink Water for the rest of the night and if I want a snack I have a spoonful of Peanut Butter. I have been working on this schedule, but not even close to following it because once I eat solid food I can not drink for HOURS so I want to get a lot of fluids in before I eat anything. One piece of string cheese will already be so mushy it will slide through better. I have to drink things with ICE so all the ice I add melts so I probably drink close to 11oz in the hour for the drink. It is like EVERY hour you have to be drinking or eating something. So our schedules are more demanding and it will take time. I would really love an IV right now.

Hey there autumnLily.. I eat meat but I can't eat a lot of it. I take 2 bites and I am done and I know that I m not getting a lot of Proteins from the amount I'm able to eat. I'm a carb person, lol which is one of the reasons I got fat. Every food that I'm use to has a lot of carbs and when I think of Proteins I think of meat (and now also Protein drinks).

I had trouble with cottage cheese eating it plain. I would add one or two tablespoons of mashed potatoes and some salt and pepper to it to make it taste better. It is only a couple of spoons of potatoes so you should not have to worry about too many carbs.

String cheese for a snack gives you a 5 g Protein boost, tuna with mayo and dill pickle relish was another favourite of mine (not sure if you consider fish a meat).

Glass of milk and add a scoop of powder milk to it to boost the protein. Plus you can count the glass as a Fluid.

Peanut Butter sometimes I would take a spoon and eat it right off the spoon. Any nut butter for that matter.

Are you a vegetarian? Or does meat bother your stomach?

great ideas.. I tried the greek yogurt with a Protein shake and it was good.

Try the Greek Yogurt in a smoothie. It hides the taste a bit. I like to use 1`/2 C. yogurt, 1/8 C. OJ, 2 strawberries, and a couple of tablespoons of Splenda. Blend it up and try it. It's 10 grams of Protein. I prefer Fage 0 brand.

Here are some of my fav high protein foods that are not meat:

Low fat cheese sticks. They have 8 grams of protein in 1 stick and 60 calories.

Baby Bell Lite cheese, which has 6 grams of protein.

Anderson's Split Pea Soup with bacon has 10 grams of protein per cup. I ate 1/2 cup for lunch for 5 grams of protein.

Dennison's 99% fat free chili has 20 grams of protein per cup. I eat 1/2 cup for 10 grams of protein.

unjury chicken Protein Powder. It's 20 grams of protein per scoop.

I don't care for eggs, but they are a good source of protein: 6.3 grams in a large egg.

I am lactose intolerant, but if you are not, non-fat milk has 8 grams. I use Plain Soy Milk, which has 7 grams.

I don't like adding unflavored protein to my food. I can taste it and I don't like that. But if you can tolerate it, it's an easy way to up protein in many foods.

Lynda

3 drinks in three hours? wow that would be great. I have to make a conscious effort to drink 20 oz of Water (and I love water) in an eight hour work period because I have to wait an hour after I eat and I take long to eat. I even add crystal light to help me drink it faster. An iv would be great :D then I wouldn't have to worry all that Fluid intake.

Mina - I AM RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE AND WE HAD THE SURGERY AT THE SAME TIME!

I don't even like eating solids because they feel so weird. String cheese does melt in your mouth and the spoonful of Peanut Butter does go down easy. 64 oz of Water is like drinking a pool. I feel like the food sits longer in our tummy than others. I remember thinking that before the surgery. I would eat a big meal and not eat until the next day. The food would just sit there for hours. I maybe take three bites of something and I just can't eat anymore. So what am I going to do? I HAVE NO CLUE! I am just hoping that in a couple more weeks things will be different. The protien drinks I drink have 15 grams per drink which is 8oz and they are fruity and good. So if i can get 3 in a day that is 45 grams. So I think I am going to eat a piece of string cheese for Breakfast. Then once I am at work for the next three hours I am going to have 3 drinks. So I am already at 50 grams of protien by lunch. Then once all the Fluid has cleared I nibble on chicken/tuna salad for the next three hours. once that has cleared I drink water for the rest of the night and if I want a snack I have a spoonful of Peanut Butter. I have been working on this schedule, but not even close to following it because once I eat solid food I can not drink for HOURS so I want to get a lot of fluids in before I eat anything. One piece of string cheese will already be so mushy it will slide through better. I have to drink things with ICE so all the ice I add melts so I probably drink close to 11oz in the hour for the drink. It is like EVERY hour you have to be drinking or eating something. So our schedules are more demanding and it will take time. I would really love an IV right now.

I drink before I eat anything for the day. I just finished drink #1 in an hour and I am making drink #2. These are the protien drinks I listed that taste just like crystal light. SO GOOD and I refuse to drink those nasty milky chocolaty vanilla drinks - YUCK! So each of those drinks are like drinking Water and are 15 grams of protien. About to make another :)

I'm having more trouble getting all the Water down as well. I didn't in the beginning, but now after 3 mos. I find that it is becomming more difficult to keep sipping water all day. There are places you go and things that you do, where water gets in the way. I end up waiting, and then I try to drink 64 ounces, and I feel waterlogged. I just do the best that I can. As far as the Protein Drinks, I mix chocolate or vanilla Unjury with a cup of coffee.(decaf) and it tastes like a mocha or vanilla cappucino. It goes down very easily. I have a problem getting the shakes down otherwise.