Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone's incision pain get worse before it got better

I'm 11 days post op and my largest incision is causing me a great deal more pain today than it has since the very early days right out. It does not look infected in any way. It has a 'football' shaped scab that is just under an inch across and just over a quarter inch from top to bottin in the center (the widest area). Did anyone else have sharper, more intense pain at this point? Other than this one incision and the pain from that, I feel fabulous! This is the only thing that keeps me from doing all the things I would like to do physically.

Which incision is it? I had actually started feeling much better but then at about 2-3 weeks out, I had a burning and pulling pain right above the incision that they pulled my stomach out of. I was told that this was an area where they actually cut through about 2 inches of muscle and then stretched it to get the stapler in/out and the stomach out. I asked why it was hurting all the sudden and was told because I was starting to get more active. And I was. I was starting to do housework, driving, climbing in and out of a tall truck, more walking, etc. I'm now 30 days post op and no longer have the pain unless I'm climbing in and out of the truck but even then, it's not as intense as before. That particular hurt stopped about 3-4 days ago.

It is my largest incision from which they removed the stomach. It just felt so much better and then BOOM it's hurting soooo much more all of a sudden. I'm definitely doing more because I feel so good with the exception of that one place. I hope it's just a momentary setback. Thanks :)

Yes... I have found that I have to be REALLY careful with movement. I am at almost 7 weeks, and last week had a day with a lot more movement (twisting, up and down off the floor, etc) than I had, and I really hurt myself. My DR. explained about how the muscle fibers in your abs are basically scar tissue (which does not have the flexibility) and so any of those types of movements are going to be more painful. I have had to go back to square one. But until this incident my incision areas had been feeling better. It took about 5 weeks for me... so It does get better but hope it is sooner rather than later for you!

You perfectly described my biggest cut and what I experienced with it. A day or two after it started to "flare up" I happened to have an appointment with my regular doctor for something else. He told me he thought my body was rejecting it and that he may be infected, so he prescribed an antibiotic. My appointment was on a Thursday, and his nurse called in the prescription. When I went to pick it up, there was a mix up or something so I could get it that day. I got it straightened out the next day, but for some reason wasn't buying what my doctor said. I also happened to have a follow up appointment scheduled with my surgeon on Monday, so I waited to see what he said. When I went, he said my body was just dealing with the dissolving stich that was used to close the incision. It was also in a spot that was in contact with my waist band. He told me to keep an eye on it, and to let him know if it got worse. It didn't and ended up healing nicely.

Thanks for your replies. It's a lot better this morning, but I can tell I'm just going to have to take it easy with it for a while longer. Thanks again!